Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

[Guide] Price Checking Guide

Discussion in 'Trade Value' started by KTang, Jun 9, 2012. | Replies: 28 | Views: 18266

1. KTang

KTang <font color="#93ad4f">Official Diablo 3 Item Value

Hi everyone,

UPDATES
    09/09/2012 - Back from a long break, will see if I can get some game time soon. Edited a few notes, particularly legendaries and such.
    15/06/2012 - Removed bit about AH being global.
    12/06/2012 - Have added a bit about the AH being global near the end.
    11/06/2012 - Have added Armour to be an important stat alongside Resistance, thanks to pmpch.
    10/06/2012 - Stickied, yay!

Have noticed a lot of really simple to price-check items on the forums these days and while I don't mind offering my opinions and price checks most of the time, some things are very easy to look up yourselves. You wouldn't ask someone what the definition of a word was if the dictionary was right in front of you, would you? So with that I'll begin this guide which I will slowly be updating as I go along. Unfortunately I don't play as often as I'd like and therefore can get behind with values, so I'd like to offer help to those with valuing items with the most basic of statistics.

What to Look Out For
    When first determining whether an item is valuable or not you must first consider a number of things.

Is the item Legendary?
    Legendaries may scream value and rarity, but it is already known that legendaries up until now (pre-patch TBA) have been very lacklustre, and that the requirements for them to be of good standard require a very rare roll on the +random attributes that can be achieved. There are a few legendaries that are still considered very useful, such as crafted legendaries, Andariel's Visage, Lacuni Prowlers, etc... And within these legendaries which is unique to Diablo 3, is that for example Andariel's can be Strength based, Dexterity based or Intelligence based, meaning it has use for ALL of the classes. But while Dexterity on Lacuni Prowlers is considered particularly desirable, Strength or Intelligence isn't really all that useful as those classes have better alternatives. You have to take into consideration what stats are suited for which item and class. Desired stats and how to exactly search this will be explored later in this guide.

As of patch 1.14
    Legendaries are now significantly better with some very cool niché mods. Price checking remains the same - check it on the AH, compare it against yours and then see what you can make of it. Not much to say about this topic as I believe it to be far more straightforward to price check than rares, but it would be a good idea to learn what the TOP rolls are available on legendaries to avoid selling them too cheap. Get on that game guide!

Is the item Rare?
    Rares in Diablo 3 are essentially the bread and butter of item finding, and they can come with a LOT of mods which can be hard to search in the AH. What you're looking for are realistically the following stats (NOT in any particular order):

• Life on Hit
    • Critical Damage %
    • Critical Hit Rate
    • All Resistance
    • Vitality/Strength/Intelligence/Dexterity
    • Movement Speed (Boots only with the exception of legendaries)
    • Increased Attack Speed
    • Sockets
    • Magic Find/Gold Find
    • +Damage on Weapons (includes Elemental)
    • Armour

That might seem like a long list, but some rares really can spawn a serious number of attributes. For example, an amulet I am currently using has Dex, Crit Damage, Attackspeed, a Socket and a random bit of Resistance. But a Helmet can't spawn with attack speed unless it is a legendary such as Andariels, or Bracers can't spawn movement speed mods but Lacuni Prowlers can. Realistically there are a lot of things to consider, but in my opinion you should be looking for these KEY things on items.

Helmets
    Core Stats
    All Resistance
    Socket
    +% Life

Bracers

Core Stats
    All Resistance
    Crit Chance

Shoulders
    Core Stats
    All Resistance

Belts
    Core Stats
    All Resistance

Chest Armours
    Core Stats
    All Resistance
    Sockets

Pants

Core Stats
    Sockets
    All Resistance

Rings

Core Stats
    Crit Chance
    Crit Damage
    Attack Speed
    All Resistance

Amulets

Core Stats
    Socket (not too important)
    Crit Chance
    Crit Damage
    Life on Hit
    Attack Speed
    All Resistance

Weapons

+Damage
    Life on Hit
    Crit Chance
    Crit Damage
    Sockets
    Attack Speed

Boots

Core Stats
    All Resistance
    Movement Speed

Gloves

Core Stats
    All Resistance
    Attack Speed
    Crit Chance
    Crit Damage

While some may consider other statistics important, it is true that you should also consider Life Regeneration or MF/GF. Life Regen is particularly useful for Melee classes or those special Wizard builds. And MF/GF is naturally ALWAYS desirable. Infact, high %s of magic find and gold find are actually worth quite a bit with all the craze that is going on these days.

Is it a Magic item?
    Magic items are considered much more valuable than they were in Diablo 2. Like Rares they also have similar stats you are looking for, just with fewer quantities of stats (which is what makes them Magic and not Rare). Magics are good for plain MF items, higher DPS/cheaper Weapons, cheap Stat/Socket Armours...etc.

How do I Price Check it?
    Well a lot of people come to the forums asking for sometimes simple requests and sometimes very complicated requests. Off-hand items such as Sources, Quivers and Mojos at the moment are very hard to check due to the restrictions of the search engine. What is however very simple are magic items or rare items with a few specific mods. Core stats are useful on many characters, ie Dexterity still provides Dodge on a Barb even if it doesn't increase the damage. However, if you're finding rares with several different attributes then it may be hard to decide what to look for in the AH.

Example:

A Glove has the following stats:

150 Dex
    75 Strength
    110 Vit
    30 All Res
    15 Attack Speed

Now you might be wondering where do you start. Well, look at the stats. Strength is the lowest, Dex is the highest. So lets definitely use DEX in the Search engine. That gives you two more slots. All res? Very important. Increased Attack Speed, equally as important. Vit and Res to be honest are both survival statistics so why not search for an item that first has Dex/Vit/Attack speed, and then Dex/All Res/Attack speed. Then compare the prices. Search for items which have both stats. It isn't hard to cut down the search to give you gloves with only these statistics. The figure you can use for Dex can be 130, 25 for All Res, 100 for Vit, 10 for Attack Speed. That'll give you a good rough estimate of what to search for.

If an item only has TWO stats such as a Ring.

65 Dexterity
    14 Attack Speed

Don't come here asking what the value is, go search it in the AH.

The point I'm trying to make is, if an item has four attributes instead of three it doesn't mean you can't search for the most important to get a rough idea on the AH of how valuable something is. Input those three most important stats, sort out the items by Buyout price from lowest to highest and start working your way from there. It is very simple to price check items yourself, but by all means come to the forums to get a better opinion, a second opinion or even just some general advice on whether a item actually holds some value. However, the introduction of the AH should tell you much of that alone.

TO BE CONTINUED.

I'd love to carry on writing but I'm getting quite tired and you can tell by the last paragraph that I need to re-word a few/lot of things. Anyway, I'll be including tips on how to use the AH, how to utilise the tabs and how to use the buyout search to narrow down what you are looking for. This is solely for price checking, not for the use of making profit, so I won't be going through tips of how to use the AH to make money. And this does not cover the RMAH either, until that has been released and tested.

Hope that helps for now anyway, most of you already know this but hey, why not throw a few words out there.

Thanks for reading. Will get this done by the end of the week.

KT

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  2. Rocko

Rocko IncGamers Member

Very nicely written. Thank you. :)

3. Alexu

Alexu IncGamers Member

Very good writeup, thanks.

I have been thinking about attack speed though.. Especially on weapons, which you mention as a desierable attribute. Ain't people weary of the coming attack speed nerf? I imagine many high-end weapons with a big +attack speed modifier will drop significantly in value.

4. KTang

Thanks guys, just a late night job. Bit unfinished however.

People are definitely noticing the attack speed nerf but without any indication of how it is going to affect the gameplay as of yet, I wouldn't say people are looking to blast out their items as soon as possible. Plus attack speed on a weapon is different to that of equipment. Attack speed on a weapon is always going to be desirable in my opinion.

KT

5. KTang

Just a sneaky bump. Hopefully the mods won't mind.

KT

6. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Nice guide, thanks for making it! I stickied it.

7. Ganymos

Ganymos IncGamers Member

Thank you for making this, excactly what i was looking for:)

8. KTang

Thank you very much, will be sure to add a few updates here and there.

Anyone have any questions or requests? I'd be happy to add them in.

I'd like to add more picture examples and such

KT

9. pmpch

pmpch IncGamers Member

You could change "Resistances" to "Resistances/Armor". Armor is basicly a subsitute (with less scaling but not bad) for Resistances, where 10 Armor = 1 All Resistance = 10 Strength = 10 Int (all have the same effect). Of course Resistances can go way higher (70-80) than Armor (30-35).

For instance if an item has 250 Armor, 100 Strength and 45 All Resistances, that basicly equals 80 All Resistances, 0 Armor and 0 Strength, defensewise.

This is ofcourse only true if you have equal damage mitigation from Resistances and Armor as the effective health you have is given by...

EHP = Health * ( 1 + Armor/3000) * (1+ Resistances / 300 ) * (1 + OtherBuffsSuchAsLessMeleeDamage)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  10. krischan

A strength bonus adds protection? I would have thought that it's dexterity...

11. KTang

Dexterity adds dodge, strength adds 'armour', Int adds resistance, Vit adds health.

Is that confirmed that Armour is essentially all res and etc? I'd be more than happy to add it in if that were the case, it's just it is the first I have heard of it that's all :) Makes sense, somewhat.

Edit: Just read on a random post elsewhere for 'research' for an argument here on another thread and yes, Strength does somewhat seem to be equal to Armour. I'll consider sticking that in as a desirable mod.

KT

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  12. pmpch

pmpch IncGamers Member

Well it's...

Code:
    ehp = hp * (1 + armor / (50 * mlvl)) * (1 + resistance / (5 * mlvl))

... so what is more effective depends on the other stat.

13. krischan

That answers the question of how much of a D3 noob I still am :)

14. KTang

Not everyone knows that :) I think you can find out by highlighting the stats in the extended stats page, might be wrong though. I thought it came up in tutorial tooltips? One of the two!

Thank you pmpch, I'll add it in.

KT

15. spiffymcbang

spiffymcbang D3 Trade Moderator<br> America, USEast (D2)<br> Ne

Any thoughts about current prices /PC's for services such as:
    leveling
    boss killing/rushinsg
    whimsyshire runs

Thanks

16. KTang

America's Wise:

Whimsy depends if there is a Pinata, is it a chest run, are you clearing it, etc. Can be 300+ for a full clear (meaning you both get the elites) but obviously this is pretty rare as clearing it for more than 1 person is just tedious. Chest runs can be 50-80k+ with/without Pinatas.

Levelling services change all the time, but it can be 15kish per hell run or 8k per nm run if we're talking Belial.

Boss killing can vary, usually in ETF these services are offered free if offered at all, but can be different depending on the bosses. Probably Belial Inferno fetches 50kish.

I'm not so experienced in service selling as it's seldom done here on the boards in ETF atleast.

Getting an account-power level will cost millions.

I'll input all of this into the guide at somepoint. Thanks!

KT

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  17. VHD

VHD IncGamers Member

Armor, as I understand it, works out to be 1/10th of All Res. So a +200 armor attribute = +20 All Res

18. pmpch

pmpch IncGamers Member

How about Crit Chance on helms as a stat? So far it isn't listed.

19. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

I'm confused as to how you use the AH to check prices. The listed bids are not necessarily bids, but may only be the minimum bid set by the seller. Once an item is sold, you can't see what it sold for, right? So how is the auction house useful in finding out values?

Am I just supposed to try to set a price that seems similar to what's listed? But if that's the case, there's no reason to believe that anyone is actually paying those amounts.

20. dynot

dynot IncGamers Member

I just check to see if anyone has bid on the item. If they have then you know it will sell for the current bid at least. Unless you're bidding on the item there is no way, to my knowledge, of knowing what it sold for.