Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Post your Demon Hunter builds here!

Discussion in 'Demon Hunter' started by Drytchnath, Sep 13, 2011. | Replies: 139 | Views: 33913

1. Drytchnath

Drytchnath IncGamers Member

Post your Demon Hunter builds here!

The Wizard page already has a topic like this so I'd figured I'd start one here.

Use this url to get started:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter

Choose skills, rune effects and passives then copy/paste the link on the right hand side here to share. Try coming up with a PVP and PVE build. Critique each others builds constructively.

Here's my two:

PVE: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#iXRfdT!Uge!cacaYb

PVP: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#YcaRgd!UVc!caYcbc

2. Ohgodagain

Ohgodagain IncGamers Member

Re: Post your Demon Hunter builds here!

After watching people play on the beta streams and theorycrafting how to play at later levels and what they might be doing good/bad I came up with this for PvE.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#bfYUek!WcX!YZcaYb

The idea is to use two one handed crossbows for fast attack speed and high damage on your normal/white attacks as well as faster usage of your special skill shots.

You would Marked for Death a mob, Entangling Shot it, and proceed to own with Impale, Evasive Fire, and normal attacks to regenerate hatred as needed. Marked for Death would spread and you will be cutting down monsters like they were not even there. Everything synergizes with everything else with the passives I selected. The only thing I'm considering is removing Preparation and replacing it with Shadow Power.

I'm envisioning insane single target DPS and big AoE damage with the runed Impale.

Smoke Screen with the speed rune should be more than enough survivability coupled with Evasive Fire and your Entangling Shot.

This is what I would call a highly aggressive build because you'll be right on the fringe of the mobs using Evasive Fire just in time to keep your distance. I have this huge idea in my mind of how everything would work. I almost want to write a full fledged guide, haha.

In order to make it a lethal PvP build I'd take out Impale for Vault and definitely keep the Preparation.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  3. Grunthex

Grunthex IncGamers Member

Copy/pasted from my post in the beta discussion forum build thread.

Ok, so this one's a bit of a gimmick build that may be totally unviable. Fun though. I call him the Rocket Man. And my first DH will have to be Elton John because of it.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#RdjkeP!gVX!cbYaYc

Skills:
    Sentry runed to Spitfire Turret (Autofire + Rockets)
    Cluster Arrow runed to Shooting Stars (Rockets)
    Strafe runed to Rocket Storm (Yup. Rockets)
    Marked for Death runed to Contagion (More damage, hopefully across a crowd)
    Preparation runed to Backup Plan (more discipline for MfD and Sentry, 55% of no cooldown)
    Vault runed to Tumble (for travelling)

Passives:

Ballistics (Double damage rockets)
    Custom Engineering (double duration on Sentry and MfD)
    Fundamentals (for restoring Hatred if I run out, so I can shoot more rockets)

Concept:

Well. Hint. ROCKETS. Yeah. Strafe if I need to keep moving, Cluster Arrow otherwise, always sentry, always MfD.

4. Raesene

Raesene IncGamers Member

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#bVfdTS!UWc!YZaabZ

Skills:
    Entangling Shot runed to hit 9 targets
    Double Chakram for straight forward group chewing
    Impale runed for ridiculous crit damage
    Vault to get out of trouble with AoE stun in case I have to vault IN to trouble.
    Bat companion for hatred generation
    Shadow power with hatred generation for awesome

Passives:
    Sharpshooter for more crits on impale
    Archery for straight-forward boost (also more crits if I use twin x-bows) <--- I could see myself swapping this slot around a bit
    Cull the Weak to kill slowed targets better

Concept:
    Slow. Impale the nastier targets. Chakram the fodder.

5. NotaBot

NotaBot IncGamers Member

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#abgURP!cVe!ZYYaYY

going trapper crippler, using strafe to hammer the mobs while they stand still.

Entangle - chaingang - primary slower
    Caltrops - jagged - secondary slower
    Spiketrap - bandolier - primary trap damage
    Sentry - vigilant - secondary trap damage
    Smoke Screen - displacement - escape utility
    Strafe OR rapid fire - depending on which one plays better.

cull the weak - slowed damage
    Custom engineering - duration on traps
    perfectionist - discipline economy

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  6. The Kiezer

The Kiezer IncGamers Member

Knife Strafer. Abusing critical hit bonuses left and right. Looks fun.

Not sure about Shadow Power or Rain of Vengeance, will have to mess around with those once the game is out for real. Sentry or some other skill might be more valuable.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aeSkPl!WYU!aYZZaY

7. The Kiezer

If Entangling Shot has a longer slow at higher levels, this seems like it would totally work. As of now it looks like it only lasts a whopping two seconds, so you'd have to be going back and forth between ES and Impale pretty darn fast.

8. Raesene

Raesene IncGamers Member

Can swap the rune to make the slow last longer, but less targets. Hard to decide.

9. Akudemi

Akudemi IncGamers Member

Decent concept. I have been tinkering with a somewhat similar build, but what you really lack here is utility. With this build you're basically a sitting duck if something quick comes at you, something teleports to you, or you get slowed. Your damage abilities are fairly weak considering their descriptions.

Rain of Vengeance is on a 60s cooldown, so you'll barely use that with the fast pace of Diablo3. Your Strafe (which I am happy to see has synergy with some of your abilities) makes you move at 55% of your normal speed. That's pretty slow. If you don't kill your enemies immediately, you will probably be dead at higher difficulties. Also your Steady Aim passive, great, but as I mentioned, if you can't get out of dodge, then it's a wasted ability.

10. The Kiezer

I never said it'd work :)

I'll just be crossing my fingers that crits proc often enough to kill everything really quickly :D

11. narcotix

narcotix IncGamers Member

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#bXadfi!WcY!ZaZcZZ

Skills

Caltrops runed to Jagged Spikes for extra dmg within the slow area
    Evasive Fire runed to Backup Plan - keep distance when needed for Archery passive and leave a AE Poison bomb
    Bola Shot runed to Imminent Doom - AE damage - arcane
    Multi Shot runed to Full Broadside - AE damage
    Impale runed to Overpenetration - Large single target shot + piercing
    Vault runed to Covering Fire - more dmg while getting out of the way

Passives
    Archery - % based bonus (depending on what weapons are found could change)
    Cull The Weak - + 20% dmg to slowed enemies
    Steady Aim - + 10% dmg when no enemies within 10 yards

**EDIT** - I asked in another thread if you could have multiple caltrops down and they said yes so I removed Entangling shot and replaced it with Evasive fire as a few caltrops should cover a large amount of the screen to keep the slow on all targets.

The idea would be drop the caltrops, fire a few bola's, then multishot/impale to finish whats left

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  12. Wolfpaq777

Wolfpaq777 Well-Known Member

Here's my build:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#fibdTe!cWY!aZYYbb

Multishotter

Skills:
    Grievous Wounds Impale (220% WD, 500% crit)
    Full Broadside Multishot (242% WD)
    Chain Gang Entangling shot
    Acrobatic vault
    Bat Companion
    Mortal Enemy Marked for Death (40% chance for +35 hatred which is basically a free multishot)

Passives
    Sharpshooter (3% extra chance to crit / second) -> hope this applies to all multishot targets =D
    Cull of the Weak (20% more damage on snared)
    Archery (10% more damage with bow, 100% more xbow crit damage, 5% chance to crit with dw xbows)

Stats
    Gear prioritizes weapon damage (base damage on weapon, raw damage boosts on gear... will include elemental damage if elemental damage is factored into the weapon damage calculation) > precision > attack > defenses (dodge, life leech, etc. Counting on my vault, snare, and high damage output to protect me.

Play style should be pretty simple. Get everything snared. Mark the highest health target, spam multishot, hatred permitting.

Bosses & champions, mark of death + impale, counting on the 500% extra crit damage to pull me through. I don't think demon hunters have a higher single target damaging ability than impale, but of course i could be wrong. Plus the 500% extra crit damage makes me hopeful for some big numbers =)

In both cases use 70 yard tumble to keep them away. Should be dealing some pretty hefty damage.

I"m REALLY hoping I can get a weapon with cold damage or a legendary that will proc slow on hit so that I don't have to use entangling shot very often, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  13. Kalara

Kalara IncGamers Member

I've got two different PvE builds I am looking at.

1)http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#jfdekQ!fWg!YccYZc

The first is for a female DH with a bow.

Skills:
    Shooting Stars Cluster Arrow (120%WD splash damage + 9 rockets @220%WD each)
    Liquid Flame Impale (220%WD + 275%WD/2s)
    Fire Support Rapid Fire (6x speed@30%WD=180%WD + 7 missles @50%WD)
    *Plus it looks awesome, I think lots of people are confusing rapid fire for strafe in the skills videos. Strafe shoots at random enemies instead of a stream of arrows.
    Covering Fire Vault (escape skill with added damage)
    Contagnation Marked for Death (viral spread of MoD will work best with single target or small splash instead of large AoE where everything is dying at the same rate)
    Punishment Preparation (Dicipline to Hatred conversion)

Passives:
    Grenadier (-15 Hatred for Cluster Arrow)
    Archery (10% inc bow damage)
    Ballistics (+100% rocket damage)

Life shouldn't be a problem with this char since I envision her playing more like a D2 Amazon, firing from range, but if it does pose a problem I would replace the Indigo rune in Cluster Arrow for a Golden one for 51% life leech. (Come to think of it I might have to tweek this build for HC :scratchchin: )

14. Kalara

Kalara IncGamers Member

2)http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#ifdeSl!UWX!Yaabab

Second would be a male DH with dual hand x-bows focusing mostly on multishot.

Skills:
    Burst Fire Multishot (110%WD cone AoE + 110%WD sphere shockwave)
    Grievous Wounds Impale (220%WD + additional 500% crits)
    Flying Strike Rain of Vengeance (12x 270%WD + stun)
    Rattling Roll Vault (stun and knockback)
    Mortal Enemy Marked for Death (40% chance for +35 Hatred)
    Blood Moon Shadow Power (50% ias, 45% life leech)

Passives:
    Sharpshooter (inc crits)
    Archery (5% inc crits)
    Fundamentals (+100% basic dmg, +15 Hatred/basic attack)

The Fundamentals should work best here with fast hand x-bows since the added Hatred is per attack. Increased crits will make for a very hard hitting Impale.

I see this character as being much more in the thick of things than the previous build. He would vault in close to enemies and mow them down. I think the shockwave in combination with the multishot will make for a powerful feeling build. Life leech will definitely come in handy for this play style.

Rain would be situational and let him stun groups of casters in the back.

15. Frantic

Frantic IncGamers Member

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#QbidTk!cUg!cbabbZ

*Use Entangling Shot to keep them at bay when my hatred is low (I have Entangled Shot runed to cost 1 hatred).

*When hatred is up I mow them down with Rapid Fire and then rinse and repeat.

*I use Vault / Tumble to kite.

*Companion and Preparation (runed to refill Hatred) for hatred generation to help fuel Rapid Fire.

*I use Multi-Shot (runed to generate Discipline) to replenish my Discipline so I can use Preparation.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  16. asc

asc IncGamers Member

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#bXfeSR!UWc!YaaYac

it's realy hard to say right now, cause I'de have to see what my friends youd pick, but it would be important no only to have good single targed dps but also aoe to kill those suckers more rapidly.

Indigo Entangling shot + alabaster runed bola + indigo marked for death + passive cull fo the weak would let me kill groups very quickly i think.

Alabaster impale plus all the crit from passive would let me get tons of crit dmg,

The obsidian shadow power would let me get HP and more dmg when facing elites or bosses.

the only one i'm not sure is the sentry, would have to see just how good it is

17. Amarules

Amarules IncGamers Member

The Bladed Disciple

Just a fun build I'm excited to try out. Its name comes from the fact it revolves around hurting stuff with sharp pointy things and its discipline heavy focus.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#acReVS!ceV!Zcacac

Concept:

The build is designed for a completely non-ranged Demon Hunter with the intent of dealing a lot of passive damage to the enemies. for this build a good 1 handed weapon plus shield hopefully with some nice block and defensive mods/resists will be well sought after.

Battle Plan:

The passive aoe component of this build comes from two sources.

i) Crimson runed Caltrops giving a nice pulse damage each second.
    ii) Alabaster runed Chakram granting me an awesome blade shield...woo yeah!

Both of these abilities will be amplified through Obsidian runed Marked for Death boosting all damage within the area.

My main attack will be Fan of Knives runed Obsidian to provide a bit of stun to limit the amount of incoming damage taken.

As there isn't really any life leech built into this build by default a bit of defense is called for, especially given most of the time I will be surrounded by lots of monsters.

To that end I chose Obsidian runed Shadow Power for the giant dodge bonus and I will seek to keep that up as much as possible.

In the event that I do take some inevitable hits an Alabaster runed Sentry will reduce that damage by a third while also adding a bit of passive damage to the build.

I deliberately avoided skills like vault and smoke screen because I need to be surrounded by monsters to do some killing so vaulting away contradicts that and also because retreating is for cowards!

Passives:

This was tricky as most are catered to the typical ranged demon hunter.

Firstly I selected Cull the Weak as it synergizes well with the snare component of Caltrops.
    Next up is Perfectionist as this is a very discipline heavy build, and I will need to keep Shadow Power up with as close to 100% up-time as possible to survive.
    Finally Custom Engineering as it provides a nice boost to several of my chosen skills.

Equipment and other considerations:

Obviously a great 1h weapon and shield will be very important to this build, but I don't think I will be able to skimp on defensive stats elsewhere, particularly armor/vitality.
    Vitality will no doubt be the most valued stat on any item (hi there D2!)
    Life leech and +life per kill will be very important affixes on gear to provide durability.

As mentioned the build is rather Discipline hungry. Thanks to my passive selection I shouldn't need to recast Caltops or Marked for Death too often but I will be maintaining as much Shadow Power uptime for the dodge and attack speed as possible. To that end I will look out for any items that might provide a boost to discipline regen either passively or on action.

While my main spammable skill is Fan of Knives I am less concerned about fury generation as its main purpose is to proc stuns. The focus of the build is ultimately the passive damage and being able to survive long enough for it to do that. Of interest; FoK will be hotkeyed to the action bar rather than on the mouse so that I can use it on the run while I run about with the mouse to dodge incoming projectiles without losing DPS time.

To help things along a bit I will also look out for the "reflect damage back at attackers mod" for small damage boosts.

All in all I think this will provide a rather challenging but interesting experience, especially once I start hitting later difficulties.

18. cacophony

cacophony IncGamers Member

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#WcgVdU!cUa!aZbYbY

Ranged Ninja build. Still do damage at range, but you're throwing stuff, flipping out, and turning invisible. Throw knives (slow, culling debuff), you've got three different damage types (fire, lightning, physical), you've got good AoE (traps), you've got control (stun grenades), you've got style (lightning chakram), you're pure sex. Of course, all of this is freaking AWFUL if they don't do the smart thing and make the base damage of all these skills scale w/ weapon damage (like they do for bow skills). If they fix that, then this build is the first build I'll make. I'd totally go for a two handed katana, just to really make it bad ***.

19. LucianDK

LucianDK IncGamers Member

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#VagkRd!XVc!ZYbabY

A trapper build, keeping foes snared within the caltrops zone, using chakram as main attack, with dual handxbows recharging hatred through fundamentals. and dealing extra damage to slowed targets. As I see it, the harder you can slow foes, the longer they stay in the debuff zone. and with 2x fast handcrossbows you will recharge hatred fast to keep up firing chakrams.

Spike trap is there to help with mobs getting too close before you vault away.

The sentry turret helps gunning down foes, healing you and the group for a quite considerable and scaling heal when nearby it. With preparation to help recovering discipline for it and caltops. Having the passive to extend the duration of your traps.

Edit:
    A grenadier build
    http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#WjeakT!fcV!bZcYbb
    This build uses rune and passive to make grenades cost 0 hatred and allowing you to go crazy using it as your backup attack. With cluster arrow being your main hatred spender.

Then using the aoe runed Marked for death to throw into the zone where you are going to blow things to kingdom come, with super slow caltrops stacked on top to keep foes there. Taking the passives to lenghten the duration of caltrops and mfd, as well making slowed targets take extra damage.

Finally preparation to recover discipline and providing a heal, and the bat pet to increase hatred recovery to give you more time to spam cluster arrow before you have to resort to free grenades.
    If the bat turns out to be uneeded, since you merely could go grenades when out of hatred, vault might be a good substitute.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  20. Rokel

Rokel IncGamers Member

My build is a grenadier / aoe rockets build. Ideally to be grouped with 1x Barb, 2 x Monks for synergy buffs.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#WjiaeR!Vfg!bYcYYb

The aim is to be group friendly and fire from the back :p

I'll aim to do massive aoe rockets attacks as the main hatred dump, hatred free grenades as the spam attack.

Caltrops with the 79% slow is really to limit mobs reaching me too quick at the back of the action. For a group friendly bonus i'll aslo have extended duration caltrops 24 secs and sentry 40 secs. The sentry will be runed golden which gives a max health 8% a sec heal to all allies nearby (I think this will be a massive heal based on the hp numbers people are talking about).