Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Populating act categories

Discussion in 'Feedback, Suggestions & Support' started by Risingred, Nov 8, 2011. | Replies: 18 | Views: 8558

1. Risingred

Risingred IncGamers Member

Populating act categories

I didn't have time today, but if someone gets bored enough/motivated, they could feel free to populate the act categories with at least the areas we have entries for. IE, I just put Bastion's Keep into act III, archives of Zoltun Kulle into Act II, etc.
  2. Elly

Elly Administrator

Re: Populating act categories

Absolutely but please don't change the structure of it - categorisation either as I've just finished setting them all up over the weekend and they are uniform.

If there is a category by the same name that is what gets categorised if they don't yet warrant a category (and may never) such as Bastions Keep then they have been categorised.

I haven't done the navigation box yet.
  3. Risingred

Then what is the purpose of the Act categories?

/confuzzled

You've put a massive amount of work into this and I want to help, but I don't want to cause more work.
  4. Elly

Elly Administrator

Yes, Act Categories are good.

I've got pages for each region (in my written folder here) but I'll write some here as it may be easier that sending you to different pages.

This isn't written in stone but it's what I felt was the best way to go when I got all the elements onto paper.

Top tier C: Sanctuary C: Regions

C: Aranoch (C:Sanctuary \ C:Regions)

Aranoch (C:Aranoch)

Canyon of the Magi (C:Sanctuary \ C: Aranoch \ C: Zones \ C: Act II)

C: Lut Gholein (C:Sanctuary \ C: Aranoch \ C: Act II \ C: Settlements)

Lut Gholein (C:Lut Gholein)

Tomb of Tal Rasha (C:Sanctuary \ C:Aranoch \ C: Act II \ C: Dungeons)

==================

So if there is a Page of the same name as a Category (ie. C: Lut Gholein & Lut Gholein) that page goes into its namesake Category and the Category is what goes into the other categories.

Some pages may need a category later it depends if they feature in Diablo 3. So for example Canyon of the Magi is just a page at the moment, if it's in the game then we'd make it a category so we can had pages Canyon of the Magi Quests - MoBs. Right now, I wasn't sure so I left it as a page.

Do we know what act Dreadlands is? I haven't assigned any acts for that.
  5. Risingred

That is...extremely logical.

Dreadlands. Hm. If there were a fit for it in D3, then I would have to say it would be Act III. Sounds like a continuation of LoD, perhaps something to do with the crater.
  6. Elly

Elly Administrator

Must be the Vulcan in me.

7. Risingred

Sounds painful.

So, what to do about spoilers in these navboxes, then? I think you know where the last act takes place?
    In addition, I'm looking over the NPC/bosses navbox and I hesitated to put the name of the Act I boss on there, so I didn't, because...spoilers. What do you think?

8. Flux

Flux Administrator

Maybe one page at this point that just lays out all the plot spoilers and monster names and such. Simple and quick; not a bunch of images and such. with big *** spoiler warnings on top of it.

And then other pages can just link to it, as needed.

It's obviously a temporary measure, just a month or two (or six) until the game is released.
  9. Brokenstorm

Brokenstorm IncGamers Member

I have been thinking about adding the areas from the beta (Overlook Road, Old Tristram Road, Weeping Hollow...) but I'm uncertain on how to categorize them.
  10. Elly

Elly Administrator

Hey Brokenstorm,

You can see how I've categorised things so far - take this one region.

http://www.diablowiki.net/Category:Khanduras

I'm simplified things (still a few things left to nuke) because there were just too many tangents that I think would confuse someone new thinking of helping out. We can always sub-categorise further later on down the road.

I suppose Weeping Hollow would be like Festering Woods of Fields of Misery - both of those I made cats for also

http://www.diablowiki.net/Category:Festering_Woods
    http://www.diablowiki.net/Category:Fields_of_Misery

Because they had a map and a page of images.

So you could repeat that set up for Weeping Hollow. I imagine Overlook Road and Old Tristram Road would just be a page both in cats

c:sanctuary
    c:chanduras
    c:act I

They'd not go in c:settlements or c:structures like say Rogue Monastery or Kingsport which are also just pages with not cat of the same name.

What do you think to that?

================

Navigation

There are a couple navigation boxes on the go right now. I'm going to rework one and dump the other. I can't be doing with subtly different nav boxes - it's just a recipe for confusion.
  11. Risingred

I've been looking at that, too. I've been compiling a ton of stuff for the wiki, but it's all kind of in-depth and not ready to go up yet.

I have maps for the dungeons (different versions of each dungeons to show their variation) and things like that, though.

12. Elly

Elly Administrator

In light of Red adding the act category to Festering Wood (article) I'm going to go over all the area pages again and bring them in line with that.

When I went over them a couple months back I put the Festering Wood (C) into Act 1 and Festering Wood (A) into Festering Wood (C) only. I followed the same principle for the entire area section but will now change that. I will go over the section again this evening so it will look like this...using Festering Woods as an example (C) = Category (A) = Article

Festering Woods (C) - is in the following Categories........Sanctuary - Zones - Khanduras - Act 1

Festering Woods (A) - Act 1 - Festering Woods (the Act is the additional Cat I'm going to add them all to)

Festering Woods Map (A) - Diablo 3 Maps - Festering Woods

Festering Woods images (C) - Area images - Festering Woods

Any img file - Festering Woods - Festering Woods images

If there is any input into the organisation or structure of area pages please please let me know asap because each extra link means starting from the beginning again.

ta
  13. Risingred

:(

When I get back to wiki'ing, I'm just not going to touch the categories for those pages because I'll screw it up.

14. Elly

Elly Administrator

No you're not screwing it up because you're right, the article page should also go in the Act cat too and I'm adding them all. It just makes it easier to get input on these things like structure, layout and categorisation amongst those who are updating beforehand.

It's worth going over the section and adding Act cat to all place articles because we need it to be consistent for users and any new updaters so they know what's what.
  15. Elly

Elly Administrator

16. Elly

Elly Administrator

There is a 'Quest' heading in the area pages

example

http://www.diablowiki.net/The_Old_Ruins

Should we include quests that are given in that area or quests that take you to/connected to that area so that will include if they're given.
  17. MrFrye

MrFrye IncGamers Member

I've always believed that's it better to give too much information than not enough. I'd go with every quest that's connected to that area.
  18. MrFrye

MrFrye IncGamers Member

I just thought of something I'd like to see added to the zone boilerplate: an Adventure heading for listing all those fun things we can find in each area.
  19. Elly

Elly Administrator

okay on both of those. I shall update the zone boilerplate with Adventure heading and also details of what Quests section should contain.

http://www.diablowiki.net/Boilerplate:Zone

Also it would probably be useful to mention if there is a checkpoint and/or waypoint there.