Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Poll: Switching builds in-game quickly

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by GetMerked, May 2, 2012. | Replies: 93 | Views: 4622

?

Would you like to see an option to switch between saved builds quickly and easily?

1. Yes, I would like to see an option to quickly change between saved builds.

37 vote(s)
    28.7%
  2. No, that would ruin everything and make the game too much like WoW

49 vote(s)
    38.0%
  3. I am indifferent. It is already easy to switch builds.

43 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. GetMerked

GetMerked IncGamers Member

Poll: Switching builds in-game quickly

If there will be some sort of way to save different builds in order to quickly and easily switch between them in game? I would hope blizzard implements something like this, as there are many builds that are useful in different situations.

What's your thoughts on this? Should there be something like this implemented? Are you against it? Why?
  2. Risingred

Risingred IncGamers Member

Re: Poll: Switching builds in-game quickly

Oboy. This will be a fun one.
  3. GetMerked

I thought so haha
  4. ShadoutMapes

ShadoutMapes IncGamers Member

No. It should become much harder to change builds.

Note: The ability to save builds in-game would be fine, as long as actually switching between them was "hard" (as in something you could not do very often).
  5. Raesene

Raesene IncGamers Member

I think it would be nice, but there is some implementation questions that would come up. Let's say you are switching to a build that changes all 6 of your skills, but 2 of them are currently on cooldown. Does it switch 4 of your skills, or does it just reject the whole change until they are all off cooldown? Not really a major issue, but it could throw people off a little.

Freespec haters would be furious. They'll see it as some sort of invasive attempt to enforce a "switch your spec completely every 10 seconds" style of gameplay. I don't agree with this. That's what cooldown-locking and vapor-buff handles just fine.
  6. Kebel

Kebel IncGamers Member

Yes. As in saving a build page would nice. Thought it should only be usable outside combat.
  7. Kramskry

Kramskry IncGamers Member

I wouldn't have a problem with this. Keep all the same rules that apply now (cd etc) and just have a way to swap out all your skills instead of having to do it one by one.
  8. raveharu

raveharu IncGamers Member

No, Blizzard is nice enough to actually let you to switch your skills with the penalty only being a CD.

IMO, they should give a stricter penalty once the character reaches 60.
  9. Urzuxo

Urzuxo IncGamers Member

Switching builds ruins the connection and relationship you've built up with your character. I want my character to naturally evolve and grow depending on what I feel like and what is necessary and this is hindered by quick-swapping between saved builds. I am against this because it feels wrong.
  10. GetMerked

Quite a balanced response on the topic. I can appreciate the limitations posed on switching builds, I feel as though it would be necessary.

Those against this, would you think this implementation it be too far from the Diablo "footprint"? Putting the game in a direction you don't appreciate?
  11. nailertn

nailertn IncGamers Member

Since they decided against a weapon swap hotkey saying it would "confuse people", I can't really see this making the list. (Makes you wonder though just what kind of cognitive abilities Blizzard thinks their average customer has.) Despite the UI designers' best efforts, reassigning spells is still easy as is so I don't see it as anything essential. Or rather: I hope we won't have to change skills so often that this would matter.
  12. bazinga

bazinga IncGamers Member

So sad what gaming has become now. I hope they include weapon swapping in the expansions, it really wasn't a game changer, it just made things more convenient, I don't know why they didn't include it. It's all because of the Wii, started this whole lame casual trend now.

13. Ixnatifual

Ixnatifual IncGamers Member

I think it's already too easy as is.
  14. Jedouard

Jedouard IncGamers Member

I'm fine with saving builds and being able to switch between them easily. At higher levels, it won't matter much if you don't have the gear to support it. That said, I'm even fine with the build-switch including the build gear.

However, the switch should be subject to the same cooldown that skills are subject to or to going back to town. The switch should be a convenience for players who like playing with more than one build from time to time, not a mechanic to circumvent the strategic limitations of having six skills in the midst of combat.
  15. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

I'd love the option to save and allow easy (IE two mouse clicks or something, not easy as in faster) switching between builds.

Coming up with X builds for X situations is X times as much fun as one build for all situations; I intend to make use of skill switching unless the switch cooldown is increased dramatically. Not in combat or even between particular fights, but maybe more like 1 setup for solo play/random group, 1 setup for team play with people whose competence I trust and builds I know, maybe another setup for taking down act or other serious bosses, and possibly more offensive/defensive skill setups depending on the difficulty I'm playing in, if necessary. I like fiddling with these things.
  16. GetMerked

I agree, I think that it would promote a better game play experience and create for more a more involved gameplay.

I'm disappointed that would actually be the reason for removing the weapon switch hotkey... kinda ridiculous

17. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

i vote no. its easy enouigh to switch skills as is. however if they did allow it then it should be useable only in town, you know like all skill changes should be(outside of normal)
  18. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

As an in-game "saved build" functionality this would be pretty great. Even greater if it came with a way to mark a set of items as a component of that build so you can just walk to the stash, press the right button, and auto-equip everything in one go.
  19. imthedan

imthedan IncGamers Member

Having a "spec" in WoW terms would be fine. If I want to change between my WW Barb and Leap Barb, then that's fine. The only thing is there should be a wait time between switching the specs. If I change my spec, I cannot change it again in the same game or a certain time frame.

This would be useful if I join a game and I feel like playing as a different 'spec' -- instead of taking all the time to change skills and get the gear I need, I should be able to just click one button and it changes it for me. The thing is Blizzard is pretty much directly against this as they introduced the Valor buff. They don't want people doing this and I doubt they will allow it.
  20. GetMerked

This is my favorite suggestion so far. I would even contend to add timer that would not allow you leave town for a certain period of time.