Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Poll: Solo or Co-op?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Urzuxo, Apr 4, 2012. | Replies: 38 | Views: 2814

1. Urzuxo

Urzuxo IncGamers Member

Poll: Solo or Co-op?

Since I, a long time solo player, recently discovered how fun co-op is in D3 I was wondering how the rest of the community feels.

So what do you enjoy the most? Feel free to explain why if you want to.

PS: I am aware that the answer may differ depending on what mood you're in, but try your best to answer the poll as accurately as possible!
  2. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

Re: Poll: Solo or Co-op?

I find D3's coop really fun, even with a random group, so I voted for that. That said, I'll still play solo for my first playthrough in Normal.
  3. Bowzer

Bowzer <a href="payments.php">IncGamers Site Pal</a><br>D

I'll be playing my first run through normal solo, after that it'll be all incgamers friends.
  4. Raesene

Raesene IncGamers Member

D3 Co-op is light-years ahead of D2 co-op for me, mostly because of the individual loot. I really really hated how players instantly picked up everything that dropped from the boss before I even had a chance to read it. Even when playing with friends, they would insta-pickup out of sheer habit.
  5. Urzuxo

Urzuxo IncGamers Member

I think I'll be doing the same thing as you, assuming I find good people to play with! :O which I might not do.

6. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

i need to start getting a friends list going from people here. several people here seem to have the same play style i have so like you i would rather keep my co-op limted to people here and RL friends

i agree 100% here. this more than anything makes co-op more fun. there are other improvements also, for instance i like less players in the game, i think it makes it far more fun

over all i will solo the game first. others have said normal only which may or may not be where i also stop and join co-op. after that i will probably do something like

solo 50% group/friends 40% group/pub 10%

7. RyTEK

RyTEK IncGamers Member

I voted co-op, but I think if years from now I measured hours spent playing, solo would win-out. Reasons:

-My wife plays, she will be the #1 source of my co-op time. RL friends will be a close 2nd source of co-op time. diablo.incgamers members will be a distant 3rd source of my co-op time.
    -BUT IT ALL BOILS DOWN TO wanting to game at my own pace. Because I like to stop and smell the roses in these games and not rush to the next WP/boss, I just love solo runs. One of my least favorite things in the beta is when I want to examine a quest dialogue and someone in my group clicks right through it.
    -Let us not forget hitting ESC to pause in solo games. As a father of 2 and someone that isn't a slave to video games, this is very important. I'm looking forward to playing for 15 minutes, taking care of something around the house, then hopping back in, then hitting ESC again. If it takes me 4 hours to go from WP to WP, so be it.

That last option is probably why solo will win out over time, with co-op winning in the near future.
  8. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

I intend to take my time niiiicee and slowwww on Normal, soloing.

But from Nightmare onwards, I suspect I'll be spending *most* of my time in co-op :p. Let's face it - I want teh loots! And Blizzard's said that while co-op is not mandatory, it tends to be more efficient than soloing when it comes to killing stuff on the harder difficulties. That said, I'll definitely solo for a good amount of time, because it feels good to do so ^_____^.
  9. fsj

fsj IncGamers Member

Mostly co-op with friends at the start, meeting some new folks to play with along the way no doubt :thumbsup:. Diablo has always been about co-op for me. The only time I didn't co-op was when I was MF'ing. Now that Blizz encourages grouping when MF'ing I will probably be doing that co-op too!
  10. Sulle

Sulle IncGamers Member

I think I´ll start out playing solo while singing o solo mio! Taking my time to explore it all and the story while avoiding Leah´s diaries at all cost! :d, then when the time comes for item hunting in inferno I might play with some friends, if I get any by that time or perhaps i´ll join up with some guys from this forum who knows.
  11. Ixnatifual

Ixnatifual IncGamers Member

Sometimes playing with random guys can be a break. For instance have this friend who tends to rush like mad and ADHD all over the place. If you're busy for a while and ask him to wait he'll be like "sure" and when you come back half the dungeon will be already done. "I just cleared a little bit while you were away" being the typical remark. And if you get really grave with him and actually make him wait, he'll stand right on the edge of the next dungeon so that immediately when he see you're back he'll start clearing as much as possible before you actually get there. That sort of behaviour can be extremely frustrating for someone with my OCD-like behaviour who wants to "do everything" and hate skipping stuff because someone already did it for me.

It makes for a very stressful experience because I feel like I can never turn my back on the game when I'm playing with him, because I know there's a big chance he'll just be removing big chunks of content I want to do the instant I leave the keyboard.

Talk about incompatible play styles.

Sometimes I also like to play all by myself. Especially if I know there's going to be other distractions during my game.
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  12. Urzuxo

Urzuxo IncGamers Member

This is the reason I avoid public games and try to only play with people I know that don't rush. Hey if you live in Europe we could play together! :O

13. Raesene

Raesene IncGamers Member

To be fair, playing with someone who is constantly AFKing is annoying as well.
  14. Ixnatifual

Ixnatifual IncGamers Member

Lucky for you I do live in Europe! I also have non-ADHD friends who are getting the game so we can all play with my ADHD friend and be stressed together.

I often find it less stressful to play with randoms because you kind of accept they just rush. With my friend you ask him to wait and he's like "yeah" and you kind of believe him, but you kind of don't, you know?

But I'd be happy to click baddies to death with you!

I certainly agree to that. But I'm not talking "constantly AFKing" in this instance. If I expect to constantly AFK I'll start a solo game so I don't piss anyone off. We're talking when I go to town to sell loot and buy stuff, having to take a bathroom break, wanting to read quest dialogues and make choices on my character's build when leveling up etc.

15. Risingred

Risingred IncGamers Member

Very few of my gamer group is interested in Diablo III after last august so I will probably play most of my time solo. I don't really have a reason to dip into co-op.
    Wish they'd just give us /playersx.
  16. RyTEK

RyTEK IncGamers Member

I know the feeling. For this very reason, I wish for the implementation of an "appear offline" option in the friends list. I don't want to unintentionally snub my friends by starting games that are invite only. I'd rather appear offline and level behind their back. :p

17. Urzuxo

Urzuxo IncGamers Member

Nice :) I've sent you a message!

I don't know if you've tried playing co-op in D3 with someone that has a similar playstyle, but it's massively fun. So if you haven't tried, you really should! :O

I really wish this as well. While there is a "Away" and "Busy" status other people can still figure out if you're at the computer (by seeing you're switching chars etc). Sometimes you just want to play solo and there's always a risk that someone will misunderstand a "no I want to just play solo" with "I don't like you". But as I'm typing this I just changed my mind.

You know how some people always log in to messenger as offline? There will be a fair percentage of Diablo players that will do this in D3 as well if the option to do so is available. This will naturally hinder co-op play since people can't see each other. So even though I'll have to be very clear and smileyfacey when I say no, I'd rather do that then to have a friends list with just offline people.

18. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide Clan Officer - US East Hardcore

In D2 I mostly solo'ed a lot because /F list was gone or doing other things. Id Actually prefer to group play but so far in the Beta Ive become convinced that people just wanna RUN to the SK and kill him, ignoring everything along the way, which really pisses me off. I was trying to collect GOLD one game and some dude ran a level 4 Monk to the King and I was somehow locked out of the quest because I declined the invite when they went through. As much as I like grouplay I wanna explore the whole area and pick everything up so I'll probably SOLO as far as I can and then group if forced to in later difficulties...
  19. Ivan E

Ivan E IncGamers Member

I'll be playing solo 99% of the time, if not more. I imagine it might be years until I am in a D3 game with another player.

All of my friends have schedules as busy and as varied as me. That makes it difficult to schedule actual events, much more gaming sessions, because then you're at playing at home and prone to being interrupted by family/life/work/etc. Eventually it gets frustrating enough to not bother. On top of that, I like feeling immersed. Playing with friends is, of course, its own fun, derived from shared experiences and sociability. But I find that when I'm playing with friends I'm not really playing the game--I'm more having fun interacting. Which is fine, but that's not the experience I want from D3. A long history of playing games online has basically made me abandon any kind of random matchmaking--you can thank WoW and LoL for that. At this point I have such a visceral repulsion to mandated teamwork of any sort in what's supposed to be an entertainment setting that I pretty much won't do it, even with friends. Work and life are already too frustratingly full of tasks requiring simple coordination between people that just can't seem to get on the same page--I don't know why something that's supposed to be fun needs to have those as well.

Anyway, yeah. Solo all the way.
  20. Urzuxo

Urzuxo IncGamers Member

You're definitively not alone in your playstyle so don't give up on co-op just yet. I'm sure you'll find plenty of people to play with either via forums or public games that don't rush.