Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Poison Necro Skills

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Excalibur, Jan 27, 2013. | Replies: 8 | Views: 5703

1. Excalibur

Excalibur IncGamers Member

Hey guys,

I am playing a Poison Necro these days and I just finished Hell. I have 20 skill points to spare and I have no idea where to use them. I read some guides here that they tend to put them on the summoning tree. To tell you the truth, I don't want to add any summonings to that build as I want to make a new Necro pure summoner. What choices do I have?

So far I have:
    Poison nova - 20
    Poison Dagger - 20
    Poison Explosion - 20
    Lower Resist - 1

Thanks!
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  2. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx IncGamers Member

You can either put them in skeletons ( for tanking purposes ), or max CE. Though if you have +20 to poison bone skills ( a good setup will get you about that ), then even 1 pt CE works fine.
  3. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

In my limited experience with hybrid necromancers, 20 in both Raise Skeleton and Skeleton Mastery with one poison synergy not getting maxed (probably Poison Explosion) is better than maxing all poison synergies and not pumping Skeleton Mastery. But you already said you'd eschew summons anyway. I'd advocate at least taking enough to get Revive, with +skills giving enough in Skeleton Mastery and Revive that you can have several strong tanks for desperate situations. But that still leaves a lot of points. I'd say your most sensible options are Corpse Explosion and Lower Resist. Corpse Explosion is fine with just one point and +skills to increase its range, but increasing its range with additional points only helps. Lower Resist is obviously good with your poison skills, but suffers from severe diminishing returns at high levels for its magnitude, and the additional range and duration aren't all that helpful. I did max Lower Resist on my poison necro, and for me, the difference between maxing the skill and putting only one hard point into the skill was 9% resistance, which is nothing to get excited about. If you have lots and lots of +skills, the difference could be even smaller. Conversely, if you don't have many +skills, points into Lower Resist are great.

I think the best investment, if you don't already have anything at all in the summoning tree, is to spend 9 points in the summoning tree and take a point in everything but Fire Golem. A point in Bone Armor is also worthwhile and, if you remember to use them, single points in Bone Wall and Bone Prison are nice defensive investments. But yeah, as far as anything goes that isn't just a one-point, it's either Corpse Explosion (general gameplay, damaging poison-immune monsters, clearing large swarms of monsters once some corpses pile up) or Lower Resist (squeezing out every ounce of poison damage you can get).
  4. Black Lotus

Black Lotus IncGamers Member

I'd opt between maxing golem mastery for insight iron golem (only if you have enigma) and maxing CE (which every PvE necro build should).
    If anything, you can almost max both.

I guess you're currently using holy freeze merc for insight, switching this slot vs infinity (-fire res for CE to stack with lower resist) and getting insight IG would be my choice here, but that's not pure poison build at all.
  5. Erfel

Erfel IncGamers Member

I wouldn't spend more points into lower resist... your +skills will be enough.

I have a pure poison necro, not any skeletons, but the golem imo is really really helpful. What blacklotus said is great, else you can simply give 1 point into clay and 1 into golem mastery, and your golem will hardly ever die.
    Personally, my pure poison necro has maxed poison skills, 1 in golem, 1 in mastery and the rest in CE and bone wall... why nobody told that? Having a great bone armor can really save your life, as you don't have many tank ;)
  6. Excalibur

Hey guys,

Thanks for the time you took to respond. Seems like I am not going to add any more points to LS as I initially planned. I will add one point in Bone armor, wall and prison. Also, avoiding the summoning tree seems quite hard so for the time being I am going to put 1 point into revive. Now which Golem should I use?

@Lotus, my experince with the Iron golem is very low. Do you mean that the Iron golem will have the meditation aura if used on an Insight?

Thank you all!
  7. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

Probably Clay for slowing enemies down.

That's correct. Keep in mind that if you lose the golem, either because it dies, you die, or it just bugs out and disappears, you're out a socketed weapon and a Sol rune. But as long as the golem is around, you do get the Meditation aura. In my experience, a poison necro doesn't really need the aura, assuming some good gear.
  8. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

I'll agree with lots of what's been said here already.

CE: gotta have at least 1 point.
    Armor: 1 point is also worth it.
    Wall/prison: love these skills, especially prison. Great for immobilizing nasty things and will likely save you from time to time.
    Revives: these are awesome! I like a skill level 5 or so at least. I think it's extra fun reviving stuff and seeing them fight for you, and they're usually very resilient. Just get a point in the passives that help them and the golem.

Golem: I love the fire golem because he is great at drawing agro from monsters. I only use clay golem for bosses or nasty uniques.
  9. Excalibur

Ok great! Thanks for the help.

Ps: Too many hotkeys to use on this build. :p