Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Poison damage calculator.xls

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by onderduiker, Feb 3, 2009. | Replies: 38 | Views: 31476

1. onderduiker

onderduiker IncGamers Member

Poison damage calculator.xls

I've recently finished work on a poison damage calculator for Diablo II. After a few revisions, I'm now reasonably confident that it's accurate (or at least, I've corrected all the errors that I've been able to identify myself).

It covers poison damage from both skills and items (and combinations thereof) with +% to Poison Skill Damage, -% to Enemy Poison Resistance, Lower Resist and the target's Poison Resist % and Poison Length Reduced by %. Unfortunately it doesn't really cover duelling, but it can still be used to help calculate poison damage to your opponents.

It's a Microsoft Excel worksheet. I've protected all the cells that don't need any input, and those that do require input are light grey or green. I've made some attempt to make it idiot-proof, but my expertise is limited (e.g. no list or check boxes) and it still operates mostly on the 'garbage in, garbage out' principle. It should (hopefully) be pretty self-explanatory and doesn't require in-depth knowledge (if you know that you can't equip two helms or socket a dagger with 6 perfect Emeralds, you shouldn't have any problems).

If you do have any problems, let me know and I'll see what I can do. :)

Here are some links which go into more detail about how poison works:

Calculating Poison Damage
    Poison Skills Information
    Rabies Mechanics

UPDATE 24 MARCH 2010 I've updated the calculator to take account of Poison Nova's increased damage in 1.13.

UPDATE 30 SEPTEMBER 2012 I've updated the calculator to correct poison length calculation for Multiple Shot, Strafe, Blade Sentinel, Blade Fury and Blade Shield. However, I experienced an error when attempting to upload the new version and unfortunately I had already deleted the old version. The updated calculator can be downloaded by clicking on the following link:

Those who do not have Microsoft Office can still access this spreadsheet by downloading OpenOffice for free.

UPDATE 24 NOVEMBER 2012 I've updated the calculator to add poison damage and length from charms and jewels, following an error report from Zyr of the Amazon Basin forums.
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  2. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

Re: Poison damage calculator.xls

Hi and thanks. :)

Why is lower resist and -EPR disabled for disabled for Venom?
  3. onderduiker

The row for Venom is only for when it's cast, so only skill level and +% to Poison Skill Damage are applied at that stage. You'll notice that when you enter values for Venom, its rate and length are added to all applicable skills, and then Lower Resist and -% to Enemy Poison Resistance (and +% PSD, where applicable) are applied to those skills.

Melee covers all melee attacks and Ranged covers all ranged attacks, with the exception of any poison skills and those that apply a fraction of weapon damage (with the exception of Lightning Bolt, which only applies lightning damage from converted physical damage and items).
  4. Corvus94

Corvus94 IncGamers Member

Simply amazing. Good work! I've been looking for something like this for a long time. I've made a few poison nova necros the past few ladders and always wondered what the best gear setup was. After doing a few side by side comparisons, I'm happy to see I was on the right track. Thanks so much.
  5. crimsoncosmos

crimsoncosmos IncGamers Member

Hello!

Would you mind explaining what should be entered in the Synergies column? I'm not entirely sure.

Thanks!

cc
  6. onderduiker

The number of skill points invested in synergy skills should be entered in the synergy column. For example, if you're calculating Poison Dagger damage and you have 15 points in Poison Explosion and 10 points in Poison Nova, you should enter 25 (15+10).

Although you can enter any number you like, I'm imposed conditions on the calculation so that invalid entries won't be considered: entering negative numbers will have the same result as zero, and higher than maximum synergy points will have the same result as maximum synergy points (e.g. entering 400 for Poison Dagger has the same result as 40, or 20 points each in Poison Explosion and Nova).
  7. Crowd Control

Crowd Control Banned

That thing is fantastic! Though I have to assume all your numbers are right. And on top of that I have to read back up on bitrate and stuff. But........this is a major contribution to this forums.

:thumbsup::thumbup:
  8. onderduiker

I tested to confirm exactly how poison damage is calculated, and I'm personally satisfied that the calculator is as accurate as it can be: unfortunately, at this stage it's unlikely that someone will take the time to confirm this independently. :\

The Calculating Poison Damage thread should answer your questions on things like bit rate (and includes a link to an archived copy of the Tao of Poison).

While I'm at it, I'll also include links to the Poison Skills Information thread in the Necromancer forum and the Rabies Mechanics thread in the Druid forum, for those that are interested in those skills. :)
  9. Poisonous

Poisonous IncGamers Member

Ive returned to D2 after a decently long break, and after spending a few hours looking over the net trying to get caught up to speed this thread (and its related guides) have answered 99% of the questions I had. I am so glad I found this thread, and I want to extend my thanks for the hours of work put in to produce such a professional quality result. What more can I really say, thank you very much!
  10. Iss

Iss IncGamers Member

Ello,
    This chart appears to quite sound. I have a question however...
    After the Lower Resist cells, there is a PR% and a PLR%--I assume one of them has to do with psn length?
    Could somebody smarter than I, please clarify?
  11. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

The first is Poison Resist and the other is Poison Length Reduction. I'm pretty sure that they both affect poison length.
  12. onderduiker

Unlike Cold Resist %, Poison Resist % only applies to damage, not length: thus casting Lower Resist (which applies PR -%) only increases damage, not length.

The only monsters that can have Poison Length Reduced by % are Ancients who spawn with these affixes on their magic equipment: against all other monsters, -% to Enemy Poison Resistance will increase poison length by the displayed percentage, up to a limit of -100% EPR (doubling length).

13. onderduiker

I've now updated the calculator to take account of Poison Nova's increased damage in 1.13.
  14. Victus

Victus IncGamers Member

Hi,onderduiker! Can you attach a xls file for those who play v1.12?
    Thanks in advance!
  15. onderduiker

I've uploaded the 1.12 Poison damage calculator as requested. :)
  16. Strata

Strata IncGamers Member

First off, thank you for this! Stumbled across it and it is an impressive thing =)

So I think I did this correctly lol.

This look right?

I just saw the damage at the end and was surprised @_@

[​IMG]
  17. onderduiker

Yes, that's correct. Bear in mind that Poison Nova's base damage was increased by approximately 15% in 1.13, and -% Enemy Poison Resistance not only reduces Poison Resist % of monsters not Immune to Poison but also normally increases poison length.

That calculated damage would also only be applied to monsters with PR <28%: you need to enter values in the PR % column to see how much damage would actually be applied to, say, PR 50%, 75% or 100%.
  18. Strata

Strata IncGamers Member

Ah okay, I totally overlooked that column. Thanks for the help =)
  19. stra

stra IncGamers Member

i was looking the poison duration of the 2/3 infernal set output of your calculator and i was surprised that showed 3.2 sec and not 1 second as the area summit stated. Anything worth?
  20. onderduiker

I've double checked Sets.txt and this is the relevant information:

Code:
    name            version  level  PCode2a   PParam2a  PMin2a  PMax2a
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Infernal Tools        0      7  dmg-pois        80      25      25

So the Partial Set Bonus for equipping two items is 25 minimum and 25 maximum poison bit rate applied for 80 frames, resulting in 7 208/256 poison damage over 3.2 seconds (displayed as 8 Poison Damage Over 3 Seconds). The Arreat Summit lists this correctly under Complete Set Bonus for Infernal Tools, as it does with other Partial Set Bonuses for other sets, so the Partial Set Bonus is wrong (it should be 8 Poison Damage Over 3 Seconds):

[​IMG]