Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Poison Charms: Are they or are they not affected by PVP Penalty? d

Discussion in 'PvP' started by wooginator, Mar 19, 2012. | Replies: 4 | Views: 4684

1. wooginator

wooginator IncGamers Member

Poison Charms: Are they or are they not affected by PVP Penalty?

I've looked and looked and I just cannot get a definite answer on this! I find threads that would seem to give an answer one way or another, but then they're riddled with misinformation like "poison charms stop critical strike from working" and stuff like that that was proven false ages ago. SOMEONE MUST KNOW. Because honestly if they are it's not worth it to me to buy them.

2. Black Lotus

Black Lotus IncGamers Member

Re: Poison Charms: Are they or are they not affected by PVP Penalty?

I've failed to understand how poison in PvP works, the only thing I remember is that there is hidden poison length duration "penalty" in pvp, which is about +100%, and pvp damage reduction applies to poison rates too.
    You might find this useful, however: http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?797538-PvP-Damage-Calculator

3. onderduiker

onderduiker IncGamers Member

The 17% damage modifier applies to pet poison damage to players (I modified Hydra to apply poison damage, and when a Council Member cast it a single bolt only applied 17% damage) and I'd expect it to apply to player poison damage as well.

It should be quite easy to test with players, though: simply punch another player while equipping nothing but a poison damage charm and see whether actual damage is as expected (taking into account any poison resistance and poison length reduction). Ideally the test should take place in Normal, since difficulty level penalties apply to both PR % and PLR % in Nightmare (-40) and Hell (-100).

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  4. Black Lotus

Black Lotus IncGamers Member

I am pretty much sure poison charms dont "do" damage in PvP, I believe they make target poisoned so that it turns greed in starts losing hp according to the poison rate applied. I also believe pvp penalty changes rate, but not duration of poisoning.
    Poison "damage" is much more popular in pvp than l/c/f because of mdr mod and "rollover" bug, at least on low level duels.

5. onderduiker

onderduiker IncGamers Member

A Toxic Small Charm displays 100 Poison Damage Over 5 Seconds. More accurately, it applies this at a rate of 205 bits (1 bit = 1/256 point) of poison damage per frame for 125 frames (1 frame = 1/25 second) to a poisoned target, resulting in 25,625 bits of poison damage over 125 frames or 100 [SUB]25/256[/SUB] (25625/256) poison damage over 5 (125/25) seconds.

The pet vs player and player vs player damage modifier is 17%: this reduces 205 bits of poison damage per frame to 34 [205*0.17] bits, resulting in a player in Normal with no poison resistance (PR 0%) and no poison length reduction (PLR 0%) taking 4,250 bits of poison damage over 125 frames or 16 [SUB]154/256[/SUB] (4250/256) poison damage over 5 seconds. In the unlikely event the player vs player damage modifier doesn't apply, damage per frame and thus total damage is obviously unmodified.

In Nightmare against the same player, PR -40% and PLR -40% penalties result in 34 bits and 125 frames being increased to 47 [34*1.4] bits and 175 [125*1.4] frames: that's 8,225 bits of poison damage over 175 frames or 32 [SUB]33/256[/SUB] poison damage over 7 seconds.

In Hell against the same player, PR -100% and PLR -100% penalties result in 34 bits and 125 frames being doubled to 68 bits and 250 frames: that's 17,000 bits of poison damage over 250 frames or 66 [SUB]104/256[/SUB] poison damage over 10 seconds.