Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Please help - or I quit this game...

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Wotan, Aug 12, 2012. | Replies: 13 | Views: 1571

1. Wotan

Wotan IncGamers Member

Hi Guys

I have made it to Act 3 Inferno with my barb, but I am just getting ROFLSTOMPED even by the trash mobs. I don't get it my stats should be good enough - or are they?

Please can anyone give me some ideas on what I can do? Otherwise I am gonna throw in the towel.

Thanks

Here is a link to my profile:
    http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Kraken-2711/hero/1128917
  2. magicrectangle

magicrectangle IncGamers Member

If your goal is just to complete the content, rather than to farm or anything like that, consider swapping some of your dps oriented pieces for pure tank pieces. Get your resists up over 1000, and swap to a shield with better armor, block value, and block chance, etc. And then spec even more defensively than you have:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WXVSkP!bVe!aacccZ

If you can afford it, life on hit is of course excellent, and if you get a decent amount you could drop charge out of the above build in favor of ignore pain or earthquake.

Pure tank barbs can get through the entire game on pretty modestly priced gear (300-500k will do it), but you have to give up all pretense of being a DPSer. Trying to be a hybrid tank/dps is almost certainly what is causing you problems.

Pure tank barbs can just tank through enrage on elite packs, so don't worry about that. Worst case you drag the pack to a bunch of trash so you can use charge/revenge to heal.

Bank your crit gear, and find a cheap LoH weapon for Ghom. You'll spec crushing advance for that fight, and stand in the gas. You'd never beat the enrage trying to play it straight up.
  3. Wotan

Wotan IncGamers Member

Wow thanks, so you are saying I should sell the crit gear and replace it with better resist gear?
  4. magicrectangle

Well the crit gear is nice to have for certain fights (ghom) but if you need to sell it in order to be able to afford better tank gear, then you should. Ghom can be done with base crit chance (you can get 20% just from passives), so if you need to sell it in order to afford the tank gear, do it.

Keep in mind that I make this recommendation only on the assumption that your goal is to complete the game without doing much/any more farming. If you want to farm gear you're better off sticking with act 2 farming and higher DPS gear.
  5. Wotan

Wotan IncGamers Member

magicrectangle I really appreciate your help and I am sorry for all the noob questions, but please if you could give me a bit more advice I would really appreciate it.

(a) I do want to finish the content BUT
    (b) If my gear is good enough to farm act 2 (Is it?) THEN
    (c) I would rather finish the content slower but have a better character at the end who can farm act 3 SO
    (d) What would you suggest strategy wise, gear wise, build wise etc?

Thanks so much
  6. magicrectangle

Okay well if you don't mind farming a2 for a while, I'll rescind my recommendation of a tank spec, and instead suggest that you're not too far off from being able to do act 2 as a whirlwind barb. You have decent crit chance, decent life, decent resists. The big thing that you are missing is life on hit. If you traded in your shield for a low dps dagger with 800 LoH and a socket (crit damage gem) you would be pretty much set for whirlwind farming act 2. You would not be sufficiently geared for whirlwind (farming or otherwise) in act 3, but you could start working your way up to it gear-wise from there.

For more information about whirlwind spec, see here:
    http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?838221-quot-Infinite-quot-Fury-Whirlwind-Barb

edit: your armor does seem a little low. With the aforementioned dagger you would destroy act 1 at a very fast pace, and that would probably be better loot/hour for you than a2, as some packs might still give trouble in a2 with such low armor (subtract the shield and it seems very low).
  7. magicrectangle

A quick search of the AH reveals this dagger for 500k buyout:

[​IMG]

Stick the best green gem you can afford in it, and presto, you are a whirlwind barb. If 500k is out of your price range currently, skip the socket and just get the life on hit.

edit:
    Just found this for only 50k:

[​IMG]

I bought it out so it wouldn't sell off, if you're on the US server you can have it.
  8. Wotan

Wotan IncGamers Member

Wow, thanks so much for the advice. Unfortunately I am on the EU server, but I will look for a dagger as you suggested and I think I will WW Act 1 for a while to earn cash. Can I ask your advice regarding saving up gold?

Should I just vendor everything, vendor everything below ilvl61 and salvage everything above ilvl60 and sell the essence? Should I only keep ilvl63 for the AH?

I'm just not sure how to make gold in this game?

Thanks again
  9. magicrectangle

Blues below ilvl 61 get vendored, except for jewelry and follower tokens, those get vendored under ilvl 60. Higher level blues get salvaged for exquisite essences.

Bad yellows almost always vendor for more than the value of their salvage components, so vendor pretty much all of those, and just save what might sell on the AH.

As for what sells on the AH, that would be a huge list. Suffice to say anything ilvl 60+ can potentially sell, with the right mods. You should absolutely identify all your yellows at this stage of progression, and AH the ones with promising stats. If it isn't good for one of the popular builds, keep in mind it won't sell for much, but you can still get 10k-20k for stuff that is just as simple as primary stat + vit + resist.
  10. Wotan

Wotan IncGamers Member

Once again thanks for the guidance!
  11. ScottieK

ScottieK IncGamers Member

Dont look for a new dagger, your dagger is fine. It has LOH and a socket, and it is a dagger, which is perfect for now.
    Edit: Found out this is a new dagger; nice buy :)

What you should replace is your main-hand. You want to find a mace which luckily for you is the cheapest option. The reason for this, is that run like the wind tornado's damage is based from main hand damage only, thus you want your slowest/highest raw number damage item in your main-hand.

These tornado's are your main source of damage; they are much stronger than whirlwind or bash, and thus are your priority.

However you also want one with LOH. LOH is more important than how much damage you get on your weapon. If I were you, I would look for a mainhand mace with 650+ LOH. Any stats on it are a plus. Make sure you don't get something with attack speed bonuses, since similar weapon DPS numbers without ias, will actually be stronger.

Also you aren't strong enough gear wise (defensively) to be running a double whirlwind build in A3. I recommend getting your LOH mace, and then trying this build http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/...barian-Inferno-Build-(will-demolish-ALL-acts)

You really need 2 defensive passives for your gear level, instead of weapons master.

If double whirlwind build is what you want to be doing in A3, this will get you there and has the same type of gear.

Here is my profile, I have cleared inferno with that gear/build
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Phuryess-6292/hero/7053286

Hope it helps :)
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  12. magicrectangle

His profile shows a LoH dagger now because he followed my advice and got one. Such communication ambiguities I suppose are bound to happen now that people are linking active (changing) profiles rather than static snapshot images. He had a shield when he posted the thread.

As far as build, charge/sprint is a valid choice rather than ww/sprint, if that's your thing. I've played with and liked both. charge/sprint has more room for diversity in build, since charge is a fury generator rather than spender, so that's nice. Charging through stuff is also safer than whirling through stuff, so long as you don't get stuck surrounded with charge on cooldown (usually avoidable by skillful play). Whirlwind is faster farming, and so long as you don't just go plowing through the center of dangerous packs, isn't much harder to stay alive with - particularly if you're carrying thrive and therefor are perma-immune to crowd control.

When I finished Inferno as whirly my gear wasn't any better than yours, scottie. Reasonably defensive play solves a lot. The only major gear block for whirly is having enough crit to keep it up, and that isn't too hard to get with base 23% from skills (ruthless, weapon master, battle rage, 5% base), you just need another ~20% from gear and you're fine.

That's not to say that charge/sprint isn't better for low gear levels - it is, but the OP's gear is good enough to whirly farm a2. He could take charge/sprint to a3, and make progress though if he wanted. One of the nice things is that gear between charge/sprint and ww/sprint is pretty much the same, so you can swap around as much as you want, as needed.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  13. ScottieK

ScottieK IncGamers Member

Good thing he took your advice on the dagger :)

Yeah he is geared enough for double WW build for Act 2 for sure. Taking a look at his gear again he may be able to do A3 with double WW build but probably not without overpower due to how much resistances he has (possibly he could, maybe I'm wrong; if you play more defensively/carefully I spose). If this is the case though, farm wise for A3, charge/sprint may be easier and not having to sacrifice frenzy can be a plus, which is why I suggested it for A3 (not A2).

As you said the good thing is that gear wise it is the same :)

14. magicrectangle

In terms of loot/hour I don't think his gear is in a place where farming a3 with either build would be as effective as farming A2. If he wanted to do progression in A3 charge/sprint would work though, as you say.