Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Please help me with my proverb essay?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by shirleyrader, Oct 2, 2013. | Replies: 4 | Views: 2395

1. shirleyrader

shirleyrader IncGamers Member

Please do reply for my post as fast as you can guys. For my English class i need to write an essay paper on proverb and so I have pick the proverb Unity is Strength. Now I am having issue with writing the starting paragraph for my essay. I don’t know how to start my Unity is Strength Essay on proper way. Please help me; I have only 2 days to complete my essay paper. Thanking you so much in advance!!

2. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

I've always found the best way to start is to define terms. What is unity? What is strength? When is unity strength? When is it not? If you don't need to choose a side argue one point against the other. Bring in the difference between MP and SP when playing a game like Diablo.

3. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Unity is not Strength if you define the terms

It's just a proverb.

Draw on Analogy to show how the first leads to the second and the lack of unity leads to weakness.
    :D
    Tradition and the English language lets you use a fun example about a group of Fags that should get you extra points.

4. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

How to structure the first paragraph:

The first sentence should be your thesis statement. Think to yourself, "I intend to prove that _____." But don't write it like that (never use "I"). Instead, you'd go with something like, "Humanity owes its survival to teamwork, as expressed by the proverb 'Unity is strength.'" Don't mess around; put the proverb right there at the start and label it as a proverb. Don't let any reader get confused, ever. Explain here what the proverb means, even though it's obvious.

After you decide the thesis statement, every sentence of your entire essay should support it. Yes, you must read each sentence individually and have a mental check box saying, "Does this sentence support my thesis statement?" And don't be vague or uncertain, ever.

Follow the rules. Did your instructor tell you to discuss the origins of the proverb phrase or make your essay about whether it is true or not? If there is any instruction on the specifics of your topic, you must address this in the first paragraph and make the whole essay about meeting the requirements. The essay instructions will limit your choice of thesis statements.

Each paragraph should contain one topic. Don't include your examples (see below) in the first paragraph. These go in the body of your essay.

If you need filler for the rest, use examples. All markers love examples, so you can never go wrong. They help clarify and strengthen your thesis. Here, for instance, is the wiki article on persistence hunting, one the most important examples of strength in numbers and cooperation for a unified cause:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persistence_hunting

The start of each paragraph should relate to the the end of the previous paragraph while simultaneously introducing a new topic. This is called paragraph flow. It's easier than it sounds, and is often achievable with one word. So if paragraph C is discussing common arguments against your thesis, paragraph D could start as: "Such statements, however, ignore the overwhelming evidence supportive of the proverb." You then make paragraph D about the evidence, obviously.

But how do sentences containing counterarguments to my thesis support my thesis, you ask? Carefully select words that degrade and scorn the counterarguments as you describe them. For example: "Some writers have erroneously tried proving the proverb wrong." Don't be afraid to use strong, glaring language. It's writing; it's expected. But don't show emotion. Stick to the facts.

The last paragraph summarizes the essay and restates your thesis statement. End with a bang.

Vary sentence length, never repeat anything except your thesis statement, arrange most sentences with noun followed by verb (declarative sentences) with a few introductory phrases sprinkled in (look these up), make sure you meet the word limit/requirement, rewrite anything that sounds confusing or wrong when you read it aloud to yourself. Have a friend read it over for feedback, and do the same for his/her essay.

DON'T FORGET TO HAVE A REFERENCE PAGE AT THE END CITING EVERYTHING YOU GOT FROM OTHER PEOPLE'S LITERATURE, AND LOOK UP HOW TO DO THIS!

5. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Let us see your papers OP?

Unless you publish you will perish.

:D

We shall make it so.
    4 There is Strength in Unity!