Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

please advise: for-fun 200fcr pvm sorceress

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Garbeld, Jun 8, 2013. | Replies: 6 | Views: 3089

1. Garbeld

Garbeld IncGamers Member

I'm planning on building a 200fcr Sorceress just for the fun of a superspeed teleport.
    I'm leaning towards Frost Nova as my choice skill, followed by Nova, although I'm not entirely decided and may go for something like Charged Bolt or Fireball.

I'm not rich, so I don't expect to have a perfect build up - in all likelihood, I'll have to use e.g. a crafted belt rather than Arachnid Mesh.

I dislike Act2 and Act5 mercs, so I'll likely use a Rogue or Iron Wolf. I don't have much experience with them.

All in all, I don't expect this Sorceress to be an everything-slaughtering unstoppable death machine, but I do want to get her to be as flexible as I can under the restrictions of 200fcr, Rogue or Iron Wolf merc, expected top level of 85, and budget gear.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  2. Flamme

Flamme IncGamers Member

How do you craft stuff in D2? I thought that was first implemented in D3. Is there something I have missed?
  3. Krupa

Krupa IncGamers Member

so for 200 fcr there aren´t that many possibilities...

with limited budget i´d go for

2 sorc 20 fcr circlet
    spirit 35 fcr
    vipermagi 30 fcr
    trang gloves or mages 20 fcr
    2x ring with 10 fcr
    crafted amu with 15+ fcr
    suicide branch (1 skill 50 fcr)
    crafted belt with 10 fcr

if the amu ahs more than 15 fcr, your spirit or belt can have a bit less.
    i´d go fireball with that sorc, maybe with charged strike or nova. cold nova won´t do much damage with the lack of +skills. same goes for nova, but not to the same extend

here´s a link to the crafting section of AS
  4. Garbeld

Garbeld IncGamers Member

It was my understanding that Nova scales better with +skills (I'd assume because of Lightning Mastery), whereas Frost Nova is better with lesser gear.
    That said, when I posted this thread, I thought Frost Nova only had one synergy - I've since realized that it has two, which is rather prohibitive for a hybrid Sorceress with poor gear.

Looking up expected damage on Charged Bolt and Nova, I've determined that Charged Bolt needs to hit with an average of 4.6 bolts per cast to match Nova damage against a single target (i.e. act bosses); although, it also costs 20 more skill points (which will likely leave me a few short). I haven't used Charged Bolt in a long time, and don't know how reliable that is. I'm very most likely to use one or the other (as opposed to a cold/fire hybrid).

Assuming I invest 40 skill points, Glacial Spike appears to do just barely under half the damage of Fireball (1 Ice Bolt, 10 Ice Blast, 20 Glacial Spike, 10 Cold Mastery; 1 Fire Bolt, 20 Fire Ball, 20 Fire Mastery).
    What I don't know is if the Cold Mastery will make up that much damage, although Glacial Spike has an obvious defensive advantage. Of course, there's also the possibility that an equal split between Ice Blast and Cold Mastery is sub-optimal.
  5. Krupa

Krupa IncGamers Member

frost nova has a very poor damage to begin with, but might be fun to play with. your gear will lack skills due to prioritizing fcr over skills.
    so i´d vote against it.

i have player with charged bolt, but that was with a fully decked out lightning sorc, so that won´t compare. however at point blank range against act bosses most bolts will hit. against others at least half will miss usually (been a while since i played that class tho)

fire ball vs glacial spike is hard to compare: against single targets ice blast does more damage but lacks the AoE. depending on ur target the double damage of fireball might be better or worse: andariel has low fire resistances, not sure bout the exact number but lets assume 0%. so your FB will do 100% listed damage. if she has 25% cold resistances and your CM brings -125 res to the table they GS and FB will do equal damage, otherwise fireball will win out. mephisto has 75% fire resitances and 50% cold. so fireball will do 25% listed damge while with 150% cold mastery wou´ll do double the listed damage of GS

with -150% res from cold mastery you´ll do the double of the listed dmg to almost everything except cold immune, while fire resistances can not be lowered with a skill that the sorceress has or via equipment that is easy attainable.
    so the cold skill should fare better with half the listed damage.

but i have played a nova/fb hybrid. those chars are really fun, but i´d go for maxblock on them and that would rule spirit shield out and thus 200 fcr
  6. Garbeld

Garbeld IncGamers Member

Assuming no +% damage/-% resist, Frost Nova deals 308.5+21.5/lvl; Nova deals 602.5+54.5/lvl. So for a fully single-element Sorceress, Frost Nova quite thoroughly beats Nova for budget setups. Considering Cold Mastery and assuming poor equipment, they're competitive, in terms of damage, even if Frost Nova is not fully synergized.

Level 22 Charged Bolt fires 24 bolts; as many as 3/4 can miss and it'll still deal essentially equivalent damage to Nova, against a single target. For bosses and other large targets fewer than 5, it's a clear victory. Glacial Spike and Fireball are both AoE, so it should work well.

I just looked it up, and I didn't realize how much damage Ice Blast does. Now I have yet another contender to consider, given that Ice Blast (and, to a lesser extent, Charged Bolt) is the only single-target spell currently on the table - every other spell I'm looking at is AoE.

Actually, that's a pessimistic prediction, at least according to Arreat Summit - Andariel has -50% fire resistance, making Fireball basically guaranteed to be the best option for running her.

I'm counting on level 85, so that gives me 84+12=96 skill points; I'll put 1 each into Telekinesis, Static Field, Teleport, and Warmth = 92 skill points.

I'm assuming my +skills will be +1 from weapon, +1 from armor, +2 from shield, +1 fire from gloves, and +1 from skillers. Given that:
    Fireball (1 Fire Bolt): 1077.5 (10): 2268.5 (20): 3592.5 (costs 41,50,60)
    Charged Bolt (0 Lightning): 91.5[2196] (10): 147[3528] (20) 201.5[4836] (costs 40,50,60)
    Nova: 908.5 (costs 40)
    Ice Blast (1 Ice Bolt, 0 Blizzard): 417.5 (10,0): 696.5 (20,0): 1006 (20,10): 1315.5 (costs 21,30,40,50 +mastery)
    Frost Nova (0 Blizzard, 0 Frozen Orb): 86 (10,0): 172 (20,0): 258 (20,10): 344 (costs 20,33,53,63 +mastery)
    Glacial Spike (1 Ice Bolt, 1 Ice Blast): 338 (1,10): 476.5 (1,20): 630.5 (costs 22,31,41 +mastery)

At this point, I don't think there's much more I can do other than actually build the Sorceress (got her at level 77, have a Spectral Shard and a pair of decent fcr rings), try the spells out, and abuse Tokens of Absolution all over until I've figured out a setup that works best.
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  7. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member