Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Playin first HC (non twink) self found char. Lookin for help. der=

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by BoozBear, May 1, 2012. | Replies: 29 | Views: 1704

1. BoozBear

BoozBear IncGamers Member

Playin first HC (non twink) self found char. Lookin for help.

So with d3 coming out soon i decided for the fun of it to go ahead and make myself a self found HC fishymancer. Its actually my very first hardcore char so its being a blast. Just to start off with my skills are.

Lvl 70 so far:
    20 Raise skele
    20 Skele Mast
    10 Clay golem (beef him up a bit and at around +15 he slows bosses 60% +decrip, makes bosses easy)
    3 Revive
    5 Corpse Explosion (currently working to max this now)
    1 Decrip
    1 Bone Prison
    1 Bone Armor
    1 Bone Spear

I actually died once wen i opened one of the diablo seals on normals and infector of souls and hes minions spawned directly on top of me and 1 shot me rofl, was rather a shock. Anyway my second go around im up to act 1 hell ive done a few countess runs and am working towards tryin to make a Duress for my merc and hopefully a crescent moon as well.

Anyway, thats about it, if you guys have any tips for me would appreciate it, what im really dreading atm is getting to maggot lair and other narrow hallways were its hard to get kills for my CE so im not sure what to do. If you have any tips that you could share were i might wanna stop and look for something etc would appreciate it. Cheers =)

Edit: Gear is as below.

Lore - Helmet
    +2 Necro skills wand
    +3 Skele Raise/Mastery Preserved head (common)
    Random rare belt/breastplate/ring/boots/gloves/amulet With some +resists and mana/health (nothing special)

Editx2: I also meant to ask with the preserved head i got being +3 to raise skele and skele mastery its obviously a really good find (was so stoked wen i got it at like lvl 10) and its a common item (white name) does this mean it would make a really good item to imbue at charsi? Or does the low item lvl of the head mean that any propeties it will get given will be low end and near useless?
  2. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Re: Playin first HC (non twink) self found char. Lookin for help.

For HC, I very much recommend a decently-levelled Dim Vision for the late game, mostly to shut down ranged attackers that have attacks that go right through your minions (Gloam's Ligthning, Act V Slingers' javelins).

For the Infector Seal, them spawning right on top of you shouldn't happen in HC. It's easy to avoid. There are two possible layouts of this place:
    * If you get the layout that has the seal in a dead end, cast a TP before you click the seal, then get out and return from Waypoint.
    * If you get the other layout, the Infector seal is the one to the left. Click, then run towards the pentagram before they spawn.

Edit: that Preserved Head looks great for a Splendor or Rhyme runeword. You can add sockets with the recipe or with Larzuk's reward.
    Don't imbue it if you like the +skills! These get rerolled on an imbue.
    If you want to imbue a necro head, use one that has no +skills (as they are practically worthless if you sell them anyway...).
  3. BoozBear

Ye the death at the infector was a nubys mistake (i havent played d2 in like 5 years or sumfin).

Thanks for the tip on dim vision, those gloams are a real pain, never would have thought of those cheap runewords either thanks alot.

Also 5 mins after my first post got a ammy drop +3 summoning skills haha was stoked.

Lastly i was wondering if someone could give me a idea of what item lvl charm i need to look into rerolling in hopes of summoner charms. I have a bunch of pgems and im not muling any of my stuff off etc so my stash is like overflowing with runes and useless pgems etc. The only real pgems i intend to keep are topaz's for later.

Edit: Oh and thanks for the info about the imbue rerolling the +skills never new this.
  4. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

Anything past spider forest in NM can spawn +skills. As for your best odds, I'm not sure, but someone will probably post a calculator for you.
    I would also dump some more points in CE and less in Clay golem, because then your CE will clear more of the room and more corpses will show up sooner. After that is maxed I would go for soe clay golem, though. It's a great skill.
  5. BoozBear

Ye i put 10 points into clay golem and left it were its at and started to max CE.

Also just now i tried using the socket recipe (amn + tal + Pruby) to socket my shield but its not working.

Is it cause its a superior preserved head? I thought as long as the item name was white (common) it was ok? And if thats not the case is there anyway for me to downgrade it without effecting the +skills.

Cheers.

6. korci

korci IncGamers Member

The socket recipe will not work on superior items, however the Larzuk quest can socket them and give max sockets the item can have.

7. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

Two sockets is the number you want, anyway, so if you want to use your larzuk quest, it's not a bad idea at all.
  8. BoozBear

Ok cheers, ending up making a rhyme, helped out my resistances so much am at 45 light/cold now with max fire 75 and -11 poisin which is meh.

Is the duress a good idea btw? No1 really said anything onnit i just figured it was a nice goal for my first rl tough runeword and for the CB for my merc. And if this is the case can sum1 maybe give me a idea of the best place i want to look for a nice 3 sock armor of wat type if thats ok?
  9. FredOfErik

FredOfErik IncGamers Member

I love duress! Armor type doesn't really matter IMO. I wouldn't run for one in any case. You'll be likely to find something before you get the Um rune.
  10. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

I'd replace the head you have with a +3 summon tree head or a +2 all skills head as soon as you can find one.
  11. BoozBear

So does armor on mercs not matter all that much? I thort high defense would be something ud want to aim for?

Yep working onnit, have had 0 luck so far with boots/rings/gloves/helmets. The lore is just a temporary cheap fix. =/

Update: Currently lvl 73 just got to lower kurast.

12. DaveW

DaveW IncGamers Member

Sup BoozBear, re: Duress armour for your merc. It adds cold damage so some corpses will shatter and won't be available for CE. But that shouldn't be too much of a hindrance.

A cheaper armour would be Treachery which gives added IAS and major +resists when Fade triggers. I beleive armour type does matter but seeing as this is untwinked you may not be able to get that Archon Plate or Dusk Shroud in a hurry. Keep a look out for some Great Hauberks or Scarab Husks as they can give defense too, which gets enhanced by the Duress runeword. Good luck.
  13. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

I'd say 73 is pretty underleveled for Act III if playing HC. I'd go back and run ancient tunnels or even the tombs by Blood Raven until I got up a bit more.
  14. BoozBear

Thanks for the replies dave and shags you gave me both some stuff to consider.

For a update tho im currently now lvl 79 and just finished nithaliak. The hardest part ive faced so far with ease was defintly, act 5 first area, the bloody foothills, and my GOD were they bloody with MY blood. I got beaten to within a inch of my life (id say below 50 out of 1000 health) twice. I had seriously forgotten just how baddd those slingers were. No matter wat i did dim vision attract, summon golem ahead of me etc. there was just another 5-10 more spread out peppering me with there spears. Prolly took me id say an hour? or so just to clear the first quest. Then in hauls of vaught i met like 5? tomb vipers at the stairs that shot poisin balls and they literally would wipe out my whole army (11 skellies + merc + 5k life clay golem) in about 5 seconds. But after i managed to clear those 5 after like 5 rez's of my merc i didnt see anymore lukily and was able to kill nithalak with np.

And just now im heading towards ancients and BAM, colossus voulge drops grey name. Pick it up, etheral, 3 sockets. PERFECT for crescent moon, im now torn between making armor first or crescent moon once i manage to get a um? Any thoughts any1?

Also got a ****ty io from hellforge in hell. Not happy about that i must say i got a pul from nightmare >.>
  15. DaveW

DaveW IncGamers Member

Shael+Shael+Amn for the CV til you get runes for Crescent Moon. Another good merc armour is Smoke (Nef+Lum), cheap and helps out with resists and FHR.
  16. BoozBear

Ye i was toying with the idea of smoke, havent got a lum yet tho, guess i will c what pops up. Cheers dave =)
  17. BoozBear

Small update, finished my first hell completion of hardcore at lvl 80. Also found a airocs needle for my merc till i can get crescent moon but he cant even wear it yet cause he needs 81 lol. Dunno how to move foward into mfing, if any1 has some tips as to wat i should do feel free to lemme kno. Atm i have a reallly nice mephisto map roll with the waypoint being right next to durance 3 entrance. So i guess ill stik there until anyway wants to gimme some pointers =)

Thanks for all the help guys.
  18. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Congrats on your first Guardian! :D:

An hour for Hell Bloody Foothills sounds reasonably fast to me. I doubt that even my stronger characters deals with it that quickly. But I am a very slow player who kills everything and picks up and sells nearly everything (and usually also checks Larzuk's items every town visit),
  19. BoozBear

Thanks jiansonz. Ye i will be exactly like u wen i play d3, as for this this is just a bit of fun leading up to it so was just breezing over most stuff. Interesting point to note that i forgot to mention with my last post. Got my gf to tell me wat time it was just as i started killing baal.... took me 8 mins to kill him cause i had no CB rofl. Was so pathetic xD
  20. BoozBear

Hey guys, have had some pretty good luck since i got my guardian. Started running hell meph with my awsum map role (durance 3 right next to waypoint) and picked up a teleport staff from a npc and got a 3 socket helm/armor from npc as well and chukt a 6 topaz's in em. Anyway getting a couple uniques now pikt up carin shard wand and got a UM (!!!) drop off meph so pretty stoked.

Anyway main reason im here is for help once again if you dont mind, first of all... I totally spaced and forgot about the whole kill the cow king can never access em again etc... so was wondering if theres any mod that i can do to change that?

Also with the um now dropped im not sure what to make out of it, im currently using on my merc a airocs needle +3, a goldskin full plate mail for resists and a wormhole helm that i found randomly for the life leech. Im leaning towards duress cause it will give me CB as well as some resists, but crescent moon (will b in a etheral CV) has 7% to static field which is basically CB anyway but ill lose the +skills to might. So its a toss up. Any thorts?