Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Player / forum activity on incgamers in the last year

Discussion in 'Feedback, Suggestions & Support' started by blackoutchili, Jan 28, 2013. | Replies: 21 | Views: 6601

1. blackoutchili

blackoutchili IncGamers Member

I'm curious, maybe some official admin can help me. Is there a way to monitor/visualize the member and forum goer activity over the last year in this site here? I remember when the first wave of closed beta was being streamed, this forum peaked at 6000 viewers. Now it's 200-300, not to mention the whole thing here being basically extinct compared even to late day D2 LoD days. Did there even evolve some community around Diablo 3 or am I just missing something? I haven't played for months, like 90% of my friendslist, but as a regular of D2 LoD times here, I'm just interested how dead this game really is now.
  2. Greizer

Greizer IncGamers Member

The fans of this game will probably smokescreen you with the usual explanation that people frequent the official forums or some other fansites much more. That's it's the site that has low traffic, not the game. But then most of the threads in the Blizz forums are complaint threads... Read them and the blue responses and draw your own conclusions.

Of course there's also the fact that with D3's streamlined mechanics there's really not that much to talk about. The stats all work in a very transparent way and generally scale linearly. All the numbers are out there now that proc rates have been tested. New builds can be tested in seconds; new gear can be bought within minutes so there's no need to 'what-if' about builds with specific items. Not to mention that I can't count even five items that 'make' a build in D3. Schaefer's Hammer with its mad lightning proc certainly qualifies; the game needs vastly more items like that to save what remains to be saved.
  3. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

People still have discussions about it, most people just like to experiment and it's made much more plausible in D3.
  4. Galtrovan

Galtrovan IncGamers Member

A snapshot of right around now...

Total Number of people viewing D3 related forums: 1023

Total Number of people viewing D2 related forums: 1010

So how does everyone think D3 is doing?
  5. Neinball

Neinball <a href="payments.php">IncGamers Site Pal</a> and<

Some people don't like the game, others do like the game.

I, for example, think D3 is doing a lot better then it was 7 months ago. Many issues that plagued the game have been resolved but that's not to say there isn't a lot more that needs to be done. And to add to your anecdotal forum evidence I've seen more D3 logos on my friends list this past month then I have in quite sometime.
  6. Siege Valgore

Siege Valgore IncGamers Member

Exactly this. I remember thinking to myself "Wow, my D3 days are already over. I have absolutely no desire to continue playing this game." But since the last major patch, I find myself enjoying the game again. There are so many new ways to play, and I dont find myself farming for items, rather farming for Paragon Levels. So instead of grinding to find that one upgrade, I'm actually playing the game again to level up my character. The way RPG's are meant to be played.
  7. themeros

themeros IncGamers Member

My Diablo 3 friends list consists of only IRL friends. Either friends, colleagues or coworkers (15 in total). From which, only 2 were "HC" Diablo players. All others were casuals and never played any Diablo. They ALL pre-ordered Diablo 3 and were excited to play on release day.

1 month after release they ALL reached the "meh" phase and moved on.

None of them have any interest in replaying Diablo 3. None log in since August. They don't look for news or get excited about patches. They just don't care about it anymore. All15.

When you tell me your "friends" list is full of Diablo 3 players, that's because you mostly only interact with the avid gamers. OF COARSE they still play some or a lot of Diablo 3. They are gamers. When you look at the casuals, which are the biggest audience you can see the real picture: "Meh".

So, if personal experiences count for anything, mine goes against everything Blizzard promised to do with Diablo 3. That's why I tend to agree with Galtrovan's "statistics".
  8. windstriker

windstriker IncGamers Member

Just as with every other game I've played. I've got loads of friends that started playing D2, Warcraft 3, WoW, starcraft 2. After a month or three, 90% of them had left. May be even more that left this time, perhaps 95%, but it's just the same. Casuals leave, that's what making them casuals.
  9. Dogbert

Dogbert IncGamers Member

The same story many others have written here. Most people playing a month or two after release then quitting for good.
    The most popular thread on the diablo 3 forums is the complaints thread. I'm waiting for the game to become darker like diablo 1 and have better itemization like diablo 2. Until then i have very little to discuss :(

The game is a huge disappointment overall and that reflects the amount of forum users (6000 down to 200)
  10. Zaqwert

Zaqwert IncGamers Member

I'm guessing Blizzard's internal play numbers are worse than you can imagine.

The first few months after D3's release it quickly became apparent the community was not receiving the game that well and were raising major issues. Blizzard basically spent the first 3 months post release patting themselves on the back for the massive sales and poo-poo'ing criticism.

What caused them to change their tune so dramatically? I mean, look at the Pardo and Wilson posts recently, as well their tone in general. It sounds apologetic, they basically have come out and said "Ok, ok, we admit it, it kinda sucks, we'll fix it" in more PR-friendly terms.

The only thing that would ever prompt them to do such is if they see that basically nobody is playing it.

Clearly a huge chunk of casual players buy the game, play it for a few months, and then quit. But Blizzard probably knows what their expected player retention rate is after this time period and I'm guessing D3 is way, way, way below it, and that's what made them realize that it wasn't just haters blowing smoke this time but them actually dropping the ball.

D3 can be fixed and made to be epic, the fundamentals are there, but they need to be open to making some major changes in expansions, like completely redo'ing the skill and item systems and doing their best to abandon/retcon the horrible story, as well as making a very real effort to promote community.
  11. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

[​IMG]
    Here's the traffic rank for incgamers.com for as far back as Alexa goes. Keep in mind that diablo.incgamers.com makes up 65% of the domains total traffic. You can see spikes for closed beta, open beta, launch and "**** that loser."

Source: http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/incgamers.com#
  12. TheDestructor

TheDestructor IncGamers Member

Well that doesn't look good. lol
  13. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

I don't think that is really that weird. It really does show the "virality" of d3 discussion.
  14. blackoutchili

thanks a lot for this, this was exactly what i'm interested in. i would even go so far and say this curve represents the active player number of diablo 3.

also, am i not getting something or is your y-axis a bit strange?
  15. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

The Y - Axis is a logarithmic scale.
  16. SuggestiveName

I'm not actually sure how much the active players vs site activity correlates, though there is certainly some correlation. I think what is telling is that when there is something interesting to talk about, there are spikes. If you went through and looked at the monthly graphs you could probably see spikes for patch announcements and dev blog posts. The rest of the time, there's not much to discuss, really.

And yep, the y-axis is logarithmic.
  17. Siege Valgore

Siege Valgore IncGamers Member

Well I don't know about you guys, but this site, it's domain and it's community are more to me than JUST Diablo. I come here to contribute to discussions, talk among friends, see how the Devs, Admins and Mods are doing and just generally have a good time. It's really sad to see the activity drop so dramatically just because people decide not to play Diablo 3 anymore. Yes, this is Diablo.Incgamers, but to me, those that stopped coming to the site because they are having an enjoyable experience with the game... well, to me those were just trolls on the site anyway. What you see now, are the sites true 100% genuine followers. Those who care for what goes on behind the scenes and want to keep in touch with everyone else. That's my $.02 anyhow.
  18. blackoutchili

yes, but shouldn't 10k and 20k be reversed?
  19. SuggestiveName

The y-axis is ranking, so #1 is the best. That's another slightly confusing thing about this graph, its not simply # of page views. It actually represents traffic ranking versus the entire rest of the intarwebs, so even at 10k or 20k that's not all that bad, considering.
  20. Salina

Salina IncGamers Member

There is a massive spike on release of every game and it trickles off. With the bashing that diablo 3 has taken the traffic still looks good over the last 6 months which is the period people were really laying into the game.

[​IMG]