Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Pimp that barb....

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Capteone, Oct 25, 2012. | Replies: 59 | Views: 13282

1. Capteone

Capteone IncGamers Member

Ladies and Gentleman.. Boys and Girls.. Who will be able to do it? Who can..... PIMP THAT BARB!

How do you play? Simple.
    - Suggest items that should be upgraded first within the Barb's budget (1-3 million per item)
    - Comment on how his skills could be improved, backing up your suggestions as necessary
    - Constructively beat down the competition... we're not wimpy Wizards after all

What do I win?
    - Peter from Family Guy can clarify this

The Build / Gear:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Swagger-1143/hero/3142006

2. torand

torand IncGamers Member

I honestly think your cheapest/best upgrade would be to upgrade the gem in your weapon. You could get a 90% crit gem pretty cheap (Within the 1-3 million range) or just save for the 100%, which only cost me 5.5 mil. 40% crit damage (That you will even re-use if you get a new weapon) without sacraficing anything is WAY worth 5.5 Mil.

If you are looking for an actual gear upgrade, I would get new Bracers that have Crit Chance as fast as you can. Helms get expensive quick to get Crit Chance/AR/Str/Socket, but you could upgrade your bracers pretty easily IMO.

EDIT: Oh yeah, my build/gear... http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/RufRemraf-1664/hero/4050690

3. Asmodeous

Asmodeous IncGamers Member

Got to agree with torand on this one. With a big nasty skorn going on, you want to land huge crits as often as possible. 20% base chance plus weapon master/ruthless (35%) isn't a big number given the top end barbs are pushing well over 50%. Helm and braciers are both lacking and you can pick up 10% and more on these two slots.

Low end IK items are turning up in the ah starting at a million with 90 odd strength for gloves, belts and I think helms now. Two of those together give a 60 all resist boost so you can keep an eye out for a helm + belt combo, together should beat your current helm/belt combo. Ik helm comes with an inherent crit hit chance, socket and life percent boost, well worth it if you can afford.

After that, strength, strength and more strength.

My barb is a sword and board build, not really relevant to your skorn barb, but if you want to have a look. 66k dps is unbuffed, goes to 99.8k dps (grrr) fully buffed so it shows the value of high crit chance/damage and a high strength score.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Asmodeous-1189/hero/3662432

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  4. Astrognomix

Astrognomix IncGamers Member

First step would be to swap your skills... Battle Rage from Into the Fray to Marauder grants you another 15% damage. Rend build doesn't require a ton of fury, nor does it really benefit from the 15 fury on crit. Also I'd recommend Bash/Punish over Cleave, though I use two 1h weapons so it might not be as effective with your Skorn. Cheers.

*edit* Also, Thrive on Chaos Rune with your WotB isn't really useful with Rend build either, you will find way more use out of the Insanity Rune and just make sure you use it at full fury and are ready to Hammer the sh*t out of everything around with that 100% damage bonus.

5. Capteone

Extremely helpful posts thus far.. any others care to contribute to the conversation?

I am still a bit lost on the skills, I'll be honest. I had Into the Fray so that I would be able to use Hammer of the Ancients more frequently. Is this misguided? Am I misusing this skill?

6. Asmodeous

Asmodeous IncGamers Member

Im not an expert on Hammer of the ancients, only tried it out briefly and that was in v1.04. If I was going to try it out, I'd set my skills up almost identical to how you have and try it out from there and refine as needed. You are leaving some DPS on the table true, but generating a lot of fury back to extend your wotb and I don't care how much your gimp your dps. A barb in WotB mode with a skorn is going to turn things into goo, no two ways about it.

The only skill I'd change is Superstition. I'm more of a fan of Armor and your's is pretty low. Tough as nails or Nerves of steel, which ever offers the better return.

7. volfe

volfe IncGamers Member

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Volfe-1493/hero/1255693

Here is my barb, any words of wisdom from my fellow barbs? Doing an all self found character (which is really awful in this game imo) so I guess suggesting upgrades is out of the question? Having an alright go at mp1 and I've been messing around with a lot of 2h HoA builds any advice?

8. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

I'm using a similar build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/mordell-1747/hero/4802397

Yes, HotA+Thrive+IntoTheFray works well. You aren't misusing the skill, you're using it just fine. :) I would guess that posters telling you to move away from that combo aren't aware of how well it works.

I use Insanity instead of Thrive on Chaos because elite packs go down before WotB runs out if I use Insanity. I'm sure Thrive works fine and especially on act bosses.

You might want to check out this post: http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/...ts-yer-build&p=8447019&viewfull=1#post8447019 and the video linked therein.

One last thing, I'll agree with other posters that you should get more crit chance. I only have marginally more than you and, while it's enough to keep HotA well, more is better.

9. Ohmarinus

Ohmarinus IncGamers Member

Ohhh man I was so inspired by Skorn.. So I bought one, went into the keep depths lvl 3 and poof instadieded.

Are there viable builds with Skorn? I used to play with Sky Splitter and a Stormshield. Tried out the Rend/Revenge build but it's too slow to combine with Skorn. Will try the HotA build, but I am afraid I will never be able to survive without a shield. Is it good to take on some more Life Steal instead of life on hit?

Edit:
    nvm, Sword + Board is so much better for my gear.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  10. Capteone

Updated my gear. Please try to keep this thread on topic and not vulture it. There is a new thread button on the forum if needed.

11. Jancokman

Jancokman IncGamers Member

my gear are budgeted except for the skorn (which cost me 1.5m), probably the rest only worth like 2m, and I can farm act 3 on mp1 without any problem.

I use skorn with 4k Life on Kill, it helps alot,
    cleave->rupture for primary skill
    rend->bloodlust
    revenge->provocation
    battle rage-> marauder rage
    war cry-> impunity
    wotb->insanity

passive are: ruthless, weapon master, superstition

with rend, revenge, and LoK, I can survive any kind of affix combo on mp1

12. Ovid

Ovid IncGamers Member

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/JoeJoe-1845/hero/3478796

I have about 10 mil to play with thanks to a lucky drop a few nights ago. I do survive MP5 (act 1 at least) with a few deaths but generally I play it quite well. I was wondering what I can do to get closer to MP10. I am light on damage for that. Not sure if I need more survivability for that as well.

13. Ohmarinus

Sorry, are you over-territorial? Anyway, I said i was inspired by this thread, doesn't that count as a useful reply anymore these days?

Don't know if this message was aimed towards me, but sorry if I 'vultured' (whatever that may mean?) your thread. I have good intentions.

14. tougeznut

tougeznut IncGamers Member

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Tougeznut-1970/hero/25023167

Here's my barb. I think you could benefit from some more vitality and health. Try searching for the set pants/chest that I'm using (Blackthorne?). The set bonus for two is 100 vit and they each have around 100 strength, the pants have LoH, and life % (plus sockets). Plus they usually have MF on them and everyone wants more magic find. Mine were a little over your budget, but I'm sure you could find each piece with less sockets for about a mil each. Good luck!

Also, can anyone tell me what the next step for my barb should be? He feels pretty sturdy, but not quite top end. All the upgrades I've looked at seem to be like 100mil plus to make any noticeable difference.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

15. Ohmarinus

Hehe, exact same post is on the Diablofans forum... Guess someone is trying to utilize all us players to do the dirty work for him ;)

16. JEB90

JEB90 IncGamers Member

Didn't you realize someone died and that made him forum king? Because--really--when we have like 2 active threads, it'd be horrible to have to read through posts from the great unwashed that sully his pristine thread.

17. Ohmarinus

Nice, I tried again, but it doesn't work for me..
    But now I've gone 1-h and shield (i still have to change my Shield to a Stormshield with Crit Chance, they exist!!) and it absolutely rocks MP1!!

I bought a Butcher's Sickle with Crit Dmg and attack speed and 1088 dps (you can't see it in my char profile yet: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Marinus-2357/hero/8012993) and together with all damage mods i have around 58k damage when I use Battle Rage.

I really like the amount of dmg it puts out for now, still have to learn how to keep my WotB up, but next i will upgrade to IK helm and boots so that will give me another 12% run speed which will surely help. And if possible the IK helm should give me enough crit chance to also take a bigger bite out of my enemies. But first lets focus on that stormshield with crit dmg! Oh and I bought gloves with 10% crit chance and attack speed, they also boost my dmg well.

Never thought of doing WW build with 1h and shield.

1k LoH from gear and 2.7LS from Butcher's Sickle.

Here's two screenshots of the damage:
    http://imageshack.us/a/img252/5707/screenshot20121028at351.png
    http://imageshack.us/a/img707/5707/screenshot20121028at351.png

18. Insicor

Insicor IncGamers Member

If you're going to use a two-hander, I highly suggest Leap+Iron Impact and Ignore Pain+Ignorance is Bliss. Because your overall defense is lower, you need the defensive skills to mitigate damage. Battle Rage is pointless as MP levels go up if you're not using Into the Fray, because your damage doesn't scale at the same rate as monster health, which jumps dramatically. Revenge also becomes much less useful, especially in fights with bosses and Infernal Machine runs, as the healing from single or double targets isn't enough to outpace the increased damage output. In a lot of cases you'll die in fewer hits than it'll take for Revenge to proc. Here's what I used to use for MP7 tanking when I still had a Skorn:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#bckXiP!ZYV!YZcabZ

Basic gameplan is to Leap, Rend a few times to get healing going, use Cleave until Leap cools down, and repeat. Use Ignore Pain to get out of really messy situations when Leap is on cooldown or instant and fast healing. The crux of this build is Leap. It not only gives you damage mitigation, but a mobility option so you can get better positioning, retreat, move to health globes, avoid cc skills from mobs, etc.

19. Capteone

Ok guys, upgraded a good amount of my items as well as my build. Please critique and give me input as what to upgrade next (Having ~5-10 mil to spend).

Also, does anyone have a link to an updated Effective Health Calc that introduces it to the person?

20. JEB90

JEB90 IncGamers Member

I think if you used a bigger font and, maybe, all caps to go with your bold, we might be able to understand what you are asking for.