Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Piles of Money Tourney

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by purplelocust, Jan 11, 2009. | Replies: 213 | Views: 19059

1. purplelocust

purplelocust IncGamers Member

Piles of Money Tourney

A Very Simple Tourney: The Piles of Money Tourney!

Various discussions of goldfinding methods and techniques suggest that it's time for a very simple tourney. The object is to get as much gold as possible in a 30 minute continuous stretch of play.

The guidelines:

• All classes allowed, but anyone with any sense expects barbs to excel.
    • All areas permitted, but most people would expect the Hell Council to be the best for gold hauling.
    • No multi-player- it's just your character and a bank account.
    • Existing characters of HC/SC, any version are eligible, and Vanilla/RRM/RWM/CRM are allowed.
    • Get your character ready to go, set a timer, play for 30 minutes, and calculate the total gold accumulated at the end of 30 minutes.
    • Any player setting may be used, at any time.
    • Save and exit is allowed.
    • TPing from the belt is allowed.
    • Killing monsters at /players 1 and popping chests at /players 8 is allowed. (For once! But it won't do you much good.)
    • Dying is allowed. But there isn't any money to be made there.

Rules and timing:
    • Spend all the time you want building, equipping, and preparing your character.
    • When ready for an effort, look at a clock, begin playing and gathering gold by any means possible.
    • No selling of prepurchased items, but selling of items found in the 30 minute period is permitted.
    • ATMA and GoMule are permitted only for the purposes of removing gold from your character, and their use counts towards your 30 minute timed effort.
    • No suspending of time- if the phone rings or a puppy starts eating your shoes, you can either ignore it or deal with it as part of your 30 minute effort.
    • Multiple efforts are permitted.
    • Multiple characters are permitted, but each effort can use only a single character.
    • Adjusting gear and strategy is permitted and encouraged.
    • Any partial effort counts as a full effort and should be reported. Good faith efforts should be made to complete efforts once begun. Interrupting an effort out of frustration or a bad string of drops is not good form.
    • Gold totals are from gold picked up plus any gold from vendors obtained by selling items to them. Any item not sold to a vendor doesn't count towards your accumulated gold. The time spent selling items counts towards the 30 minute limit.
    • Costs of resurrecting mercs, deaths, repairing items, potions and other supplies must be deducted from accumulated gold, if any of these expenses are incurred.

Just to be clear: any method of accumulating gold is permitted. If you want to pick up chipped gems and minor mana potions with a new level 1 character in the normal Blood Moor and sell them to Akara, that is fine. There are probably faster ways of accumulating gold, though!

Scoring

• Keep track of the gold on your character when you start your effort.
    • At the end of the effort, count the gold on your character and muled off during your effort.
    • Subtract your original gold on the character from your accumulated gold. That's it!
    • Keep track of your best 30 minute effort, and record the number of efforts made. If desired, you can keep track of average gold found over a number of efforts with the same character and equipment.

Resources

Comments:

• I don't actually have a decent dedicated GF barb at the moment, so I'm hoping to use this as an impetus to build one. I have a 1.07 horker for NM council runs there, but that's mostly for charms, getting crafting runes and jewels and is not focused on gold. I'm hoping to learn from the experts and build a proper GF barb!
    • Descriptions of builds, targets and techniques are welcome!
    • Of course, the idea is to balance maximizing GF% with maximizing killing speed.
    • If there is sufficient interest, separating the tables into divisions may be warranted, and suggestions are welcome. Barbs/non-barbs or SC/HC are natural potential divisions.
    • When you sign up or report a score, give at least a brief description of your build and plan.
    • If you are having trouble spending all the gold you get, I suggest gambling!

Clarifications:
    • None yet, but I'm sure there are things I forgot to mention and I can put them here later when I realize my mistakes or ambiguities.

Signup and timing
    Starting now, and carrying on until June 15th, 2009. Hopefully that will give me enough time to build a reasonably decent GF barb!

Trophy
    No prizes, but for the best single effort, there will be a personalized trophy of some appropriate type. Keeping track of the biggest single pile of gold is also welcome, but for scoring the object is to get the most gold in a 30 minute period.

Scoring Table

Code:
    |  forum name     | character       |  best effort | # efforts | avg. effort |
    |-----------------|-----------------|--------------|-----------|-------------|
    |purplelocust     | ????? 	    |          0 gp|       0   |          0  |

Good luck to anyone who chooses to join, and may the New Year find us all rolling in piles of gold!
  2. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

Re: Piles of Money Tourney

Scoring Table

Code:
    |  forum name     | character      |  best effort | # efforts | avg. effort |
    |-----------------|----------------|--------------|-----------|-------------|
    |purplelocust     | ?????    	    |          0 gp|       0   |          0  |
    |SnickerSnack     | Cortez 	    |          0 gp|       0   |          0  |

I'm sure I won't win, since I don't have great gf gear/charms, but this should be fun anyway.

How about we add "build" to the table? Warcry, leap, frenzy, necro.....
  3. TheReadMenace

TheReadMenace IncGamers Member

Very cool idea. I have yet to make a GF character (in part due to not having a clvl93 toon for ammy gambling yet, but I'm close. Wait, it IS 93, right? That feels wrong now that I say it), so as you said this might be great motivation eventually.

I won't join just yet since there's a lot on my plate in both RL and D2, but I'll be keeping an eye on this for sure!!

Good luck to all participants!! :thumbup:
  4. zerth

zerth IncGamers Member

Scoring Table

Sounds fun! Added myself in the table and added a "build" column.

Code:
    |  forum name     | character      |  best effort | # efforts | avg. effort |build  |
    |-----------------|----------------|--------------|-----------|-------------|-------|
    |purplelocust     | ?????          |          0 gp|       0   |          0  |       |
    |SnickerSnack     | Cortez         |          0 gp|       0   |          0  |       |
    |zerth            | ScroogeMcDuckII|          0 gp|       0   |          0  |Warcry |

@TheReadMenace: clvl 93 will make sure that the ammies you craft with the ones you gamble have ilvl90+. For gambling ammies you need clvl 95. I hope that made sense, no coffee yet :whistling:
  5. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

Code:
    |  forum name     | character      |  best effort | # efforts | avg. effort |build  |
    |-----------------|----------------|--------------|-----------|-------------|-------|
    |purplelocust     | ?????          |          0 gp|       0   |          0  |       |
    |SnickerSnack     | Cortez         |          0 gp|       0   |          0  |Warcry       |
    |zerth            | ScroogeMcDuckII|          0 gp|       0   |          0  |Warcry |

TRM: The level 93 thing is really only needed for bnet players since they can't see the ilvl of their gambles. You can gamble at level 90 (probably) and then just pick out the ammies with the highest ilvls. For crafting.
  6. Fabian

Fabian IncGamers Member

Code:
    |Fabian           | GoldBarb       |     8,087,365|       1   |    8,087,365|Warcry |
    |SnickerSnack     | Cortez         |          0 gp|       0   |          0  |Warcry       |

Leveled an old Warcry GF barb I abandoned a while ago, re-equipped him and took him out for a spin in NM Trav, p7. Went reasonably well, 27½ runs and about 300k per run on average.

Strategy was simple, teleport on top of the council, sometimes Warcry a bit (I didn't use this much to be honest), and pick up gold piles and hork bodies as they dropped. GF was 2602/2514 on merc kills/horks (yup, only 88 GF on the merc, didn't even socket the Crown of Thieves).

All in all, not bad at all, but if the real GF barbs participate they will blow this score out of the water obviously.

Fwiw equipment was Lem'ed Crystal Swords (echoing + HoTo on switch), Wealth, CoT, Crafted GF/Teleport ammy, Dwarf Stars, Chance Guards, Rare Belt and Boots. Merc had eth Obedience, Fortitude, CoT. 561 GF from charms, plus Horadric Cube.
  7. Corrupted

Corrupted IncGamers Member

Code:
    |Fabian           | GoldBarb       |     8,087,365|       1   |    8,087,365|Warcry |
    |SnickerSnack     | Cortez         |          0 gp|       0   |          0  |Warcry |
    |Corrupted        | Majestic       |          0 gp|       0   |          0  |WW     |

I don't expect to come out on top of this as I optimized my barb for p3 hell runs as I wanted to have a shot at runes at the same time. setup is here

I changed his gear a bit since to get more gf% when horking.
  8. skiffcz

skiffcz IncGamers Member

I am in. I can see this is that kind of "lets find out how far can we push it" tourney, and Id like to be part of it.

However, in the spirit of this tournament, I wont make a GF barb. Instead, I will take the role of an opponent to this approach! Someone has to boldly go where no man has gone before!

I have already made a test run with my absolutely ordinary MF trapper, which consisted of /p1 eldrich and pindle. I picked up anything of some value (armors, orbs, circlets etc) selling the items to vendors. The final score was 1,137,759 which seems fairly low compared to pure GF character - but ... and there are two notable butts (ahm):
    • Im sure I can double this with some practice. Also Im sure I can quadruple this (or even more) with something like 105 fcr infinity lightning sorc, which I planned a long time and now with the main piece of gear I can jazz it (even though Im short of one certain golden diadem, one godly crafted amulet and so on).

• There are other things money cant buy you can find (and I did in those first 30 minutes), taking this route. Like

Natalya's Shadow
      Loricated Mail

Crown of Thieves
      Grand Crown

Boneflesh
      Plate Mail

Which finally brought me to an idea. Of course, this only apply if purplelocust, our honourable host, will agree. I am willing to stash all green and golden stuff I found during the tournament and let the winner take one item of his choice from it (This depends on number of participants and can grow slightly :thumbup:). Any. I dont reserve anything for myself, should it be even griffons or such. Let those three be the base for the beginning. Oh, and the itamz are 1.12 RRM/RWM SC.

But it wouldnt be fun without butt eh? :D The final score for all non-barbarian classes tripples. Oh yeah. If I get 5 mils, you haxorz will have to hork 15+. No, its not fair, live with it :D Of course, rules allow you to try more that one character, mmmkay?

Sooo? Watcha guys think :scratchchin:
  9. zerth

zerth IncGamers Member

Code:
    |SnickerSnack     | Cortez         |          0 gp|       0   |          0  |Warcry |
    |zerth            | ScroogeMcDuckII|    9172559 gp|       1   |    9172559  |Warcry |
    |Corrupted        | Majestic       |          0 gp|       0   |          0  |WW     |

Managed to finish first session

24 runs in 30:10. That's 75 secs/run. (BTW what should we do if the time is exceeded? I use the run counter to record final time and the glide wrapper clock to estimate how much I have left).

Only 9.17M gold. Still not quite there, but will get it until the 15th.
  10. purplelocust

Wow, those are great runs already! I'm glad there is some interest. I'll have to get working on a GF build but I've still got many other projects in progress...

@zerth: If the 30 minute time is going to be exceeded, I suggest stopping in the middle of the run right at the 30 minute mark. Then you can TP out, total your gold for scoring purposes, and then finish the run with the additional gold not counted to the score. That seems like the fairest method to compare apples to apples and it avoids people being tempted to push the last run. And you have six months, so there is plenty of opportunity to improve and experiment, if needed.

@skiffcz: On the prize issue, that is fine by me. I suggested a trophy for simplicity and not worrying about RWM/HC/SC-type complications. But if you are willing to contribute a prize, great!

So how about this: a trophy for the highest total score, and a prize (if desired) from skiffcz for the highest adjusted score, with that suggested tripling adjustment of non-barb scores.

I don't know how non-barbs will compare. I did think about this, and one idea was a sorc who has a ton of survival and GF gear who lets her merc get the kills. I thought about doing it in 1.07, as Static Field there works all the way down to a sliver even in Hell. But there are a couple of problems, in that in 1.07 there is no Gheed's (and other gear problems as well) and in general it's hard to do quick hell Trav runs there without dying a fair amount. It's hard to do anything (except cows) in 1.07 without dying a fair amount, in my experience, actually. Static doesn't work against LI monsters. Perhaps a 1.10+ enchantress supporting her merc, but still it won't be easy and the immunities are again an issue. It's clear that without the ability to hork, you lose a big opportunity for more gold, of course. I suspect an Enigmadin could go pretty quickly but I don't know how much so.

Let's try to keep the table sorted on best effort:
    Code:
    |zerth            | ScroogeMcDuckII|    9172559 gp|       1   |    9172559  |Warcry |
    |Fabian           | GoldBarb       |    8087365 gp|       1   |    8087365  |Warcry |

11. skiffcz

skiffcz IncGamers Member

Well, I want to have some comparison - how much better those GF barbs actually are. So my goal is to trigger some creativity. Myself, I have two ideas - pindle-eldrich combo, which can level with the GF barb department with chance to find shiny uniques/sets and LK with those piles of blue sellable items with chance to find runes. LK seems better now, I did some non timed tests ... but currently Im too drunk to do any comparable runs. My best act5 trapper score is 1,341,402 so far, which is quiet low, but I did found some nice s/us and socketables and rares ... The idea is - If you can push at least third of the specialized GF build output PLUS chance to get s/us and/or hrs, is it really worth building a goldbarb?

EDIT: Yes, I am too drunk ... 6 deaths in a row just to retrieve the corpse, thats definitely not sober :D
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  12. Fabian

Fabian IncGamers Member

Code:
    |Fabian           | WWGoldBarb     |    8708749 gp|       1   |    8708749  |WW     |
    |Fabian           | GoldBarb       |    8087365 gp|       1   |    8087365  |Warcry |

I finished my WW barb, and took him test driving. This score can surely be improved even with pretty bad luck, as I was still getting used to Trav runs with Whirlwind, I let the merc die twice, bad planning caused me to leave gold on the floor, etc. Equipment is pretty much the same as my Frenzy GF barb, 1.07 Oath and Grief PB and the usual GF stuff.

Hell, players 1. Laying of Hands, not Chance Guards. I'm pretty sure it was 25 runs exactly, so 348k per run.
  13. dune6836

dune6836 IncGamers Member

Code:
    |Fabian           | WWGoldBarb     |    8708749 gp|       1   |    8708749  |WW     |
    |dune             | GoldFinger     |          0 gp|       0   |          0  |Warcry |

i havent played my goldfind barb for a long time. he is clvl75 and would definatly need some help to get through hell.

running NM council at p8 the largest pile of gold he has found is about 65k, although 30k-50k is more normal. the largest pile of gold he ever saw was from norm baal iirc, but that cant be efficient for this tourny :)

as this is going to run for a while i'm in.

will host some goldfind levelling games later..
  14. maxicek

maxicek IncGamers Member

Code:
    |dune             | GoldFinger     |          0 gp|       0   |          0  |Warcry |
    |maxicek          | Count_Brass    |          0 gp|       0   |          0  |Frenzy |

AJK's original GF barb was Patriarch MissPiggy, golddigga. He did a lot of trading to improve the GF gear after the Pat thread though. Maybe this tourney will tempt him AJK out of retirement.

I'm entering with my GF Barb Count_Brass, but I think he will need a bit of equipment improvement to be competitive.

Just a suggestion - How about a side competition for the largest single pile of gold?
  15. Fabian

Fabian IncGamers Member

My biggest pile was 105k something, if we're doing that competition :)
  16. zerth

zerth IncGamers Member

How much GF?

I don't think I've ever seen more than 100K

17. Fabian

Fabian IncGamers Member

That's probably understandable as you're using Enigma, so you miss out on Wealth.

I had 2514 I believe, as per my post a bit up. I can't double check because I don't have these characters anymore, it might have been 2314 too (Laying of Hands instead of Chance Guards), but I know I got over 100k with both setups. Think I saw 4 or 5 six figure piles in the two 30 minute blocks I did.
  18. dune6836

dune6836 IncGamers Member

i have been doing some warm up runs in NM trav. my barb has 2298 gf now and 2647 when merc kills.

i do sometimes get around 300-400k per run and think i can do about 15 runs in 30 mins (havent actually done that yet)

this means i am looking at not much more than about 5 million in 30 mins. way below the 9 million already reported here.

i have tried hell council but have real trouble killing them at all :p

clearly i will have to level some more and re-roll the map until the council isnt split up, some inside and some out.

i dont have teleport on my barb so merc control is an issue.

there is room for some improvement in theory with my gold find equipment but this guy has the best i can offer after years of collecting so it would take great good fortune now to improve it without trading i think.

will give it a proper go when i get him to clvl90.

good luck all.
  19. purplelocust

I still need to build and equip- those do already look like hard-to-beat scores. I don't know how much of a difference NM/Hell makes. I'm hoping to get away with no teleport amulet and instead use the "pop down the stairs and pop back up" method of keeping the merc nearby.
  20. Fabian

Fabian IncGamers Member

About teleport, as someone who has done more than his fair share of Trav runs with and (mostly) without it, Teleport is an insane timesaver. For a tournament like this, where fast runs are of the essence, I think every build would do well to find a Teleport amulet in their stashes. Rolling a map where all council members appear at the same place (inside the building is probably best I think) and suddenly being right in the middle of the pack instead of spending 8+ seconds running around the outer wall, into the building, down the stairs, up the stairs, while separating the pack, and also positioning the merc horribly, well.. Let's just say I really think you all should find Teleport charges if at all possible. It's insane how much farther you need to run without it, and how much longer it takes before you start damaging council members. Both my characters I played in this tourney had a 67% GF, teleport charges, +1 necro skills amulet. Just a magic Amulet of Teleportation I think would be more beneficial than the most awesome non-teleport GF amulets I own, for this tourney.

I'd be interested to hear from others who have tried both methods.