Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Pick-off build

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Fuzzyboy, Apr 6, 2012. | Replies: 5 | Views: 584

1. Fuzzyboy

Fuzzyboy IncGamers Member

Pick-off build

I was watching some videos and got a bit worried about some monster combos that would be tricky to deal with by just jumping into the fray (lightning enchanted - stuff like that). Also, I was looking for a way to combine a 2H-build with some good synergies and came up with the build below.

The build can be used with both 2h mighty (+fury, which may be more relevant before "unforgiving" at 55), swords (+%dmg) and polearms/spear. No particular focus on crit, more in the line of straight damage and fury + revenge procs. 1h + shield is also an option, though the build is focused around the high/slow damage of 2-handers.

The general idea is to use cleave as a standard attack and fury generator. To make the best of the reaping swing rune, ancient spear + grappling hooks are use to get a positioned cluster of enemies, so cleave should be hitting 3 mobs most of the time. Hammer of the Ancients is used as a fury spender, combined with revenge when available and battle rage when possible.

Using ancient spear with grappling hooks should enable the option of "sniping" mobs or as an alternative use harpoon and target key mobs to kill.

Leap is used as a secondary mobility tool with iron impact at first and later possibly call of arreat (again, to cluster enemies and maximize efficiency of hammer of the ancients).

Mid-level build (req 30): http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#bZXdVi!ZYX!ZZaaaa
    The final build (req 55): http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#bZXdVi!hYg!ZZYaca (updated with brawler, thanks Elemental)

Unforgiving at 55 changes the dynamic a bit, since front loading becomes a more reliable option. Call of arreat at 44 might also affect the dynamic, since it has the potential to proc revenge a lot. At the moment revenge looks pretty overpowered, I'll wager the proc chance gets heavily reduced soon :)

Defense is adressed mostly through revenge and inspiring presence which may be too weak at late hell level / inferno difficulty. In that case inspiring presence, could be to swapped for either tough as nails or nerves of steel. Another option is to swap in a shield and go 1h mighty or swords.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  2. Fuzzyboy

Re: Pick-off build

(removed and moved into upper post)
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  3. ElementEight

ElementEight IncGamers Member

Have you thought of using Brawler instead of Inspiring Presence? 1% HP per sec isn't all that big of a deal, especially since you have that 30% Revenge proc.
  4. Fuzzyboy

The idea behind inspiring presence was both to help with health regen, but also to double the duration of battle rage, in order to not require in-combat refreshes. But you are correct that since were aiming to have 3 enemies in range at least most of the time, brawler might be a better choice. I'll update the build :)
  5. Grayson Carlyle

Grayson Carlyle IncGamers Member

That's nearly identical in premise to what I was planning on running with, except with Weapon Throw w/Superstition and No Escape instead of HotA and the melee-oriented Passives and Dread Spear for some ranged regen with the single pick off. The idea being that I jump into the fray on easy stuff using Cleave and Revenge while I back off and pick off the hard stuff with an absolute monster of a boss/champion killer spec with the high single-target DPS.

Never thought I'd see anyone else go that route with all the other Barb specs being a lot more brute force-ish with survivability.
  6. Fuzzyboy

So you'd use weapon throw as a fury spender? What rune would you go with - mighty? I like the idea of another ranged option, though I worry about single target damage, with weapon throw being the only fury spender. As for no escape, are you building for crit? Wouldnt the weapons master sword bonus (15pct) compensate for the 10pct bonus + fury return on thrown?