Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Phoenix Runeword

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by LupusPhoenix, Jul 31, 2008. | Replies: 5 | Views: 4982

1. LupusPhoenix

LupusPhoenix IncGamers Member

Phoenix Runeword

Hey all. I've been looking at the runeword "Phoenix" occasionally and, ignoring the hideous cost for two of them, trying to decide what sort of build could be done to really utilize it.

Seems to me you could do...
    Enchant sorc, possibly general fire sorc.
    Holy fire Paly with zeal. Maybe vengeance. Probably won't need conviction, or with conviction wouldn't need Phoenix so much.
    Maybe an elemental or fire claws druid?

Suggestions? Comments?
  2. PepsiMan

PepsiMan IncGamers Member

Re: Phoenix Runeword

Phoenix is *generally* used as a shield for the enhanced damage you get from it. That's about everything, actually.

Enchant sorc: Maybe, if you have a good physical damage weapon. While -28% fire resistance is nice, most melee sorcs prefer either a +skills shield like Spirit, or a heavy defensive shield like Stormshield.

General fire: -28% resistance is outdone by a Spirit Shield, in general terms. If there was no such thing as Rainbow Facets (also expensive... ish), it'd be otherwise.

Holy Fire Paladin: Generally not viable, unless you go the super expensive way: Hand of Justice, plus Dual Dragon (Armor + Shield), and put points into Zeal or Charge, and the Holy Fire synergies. Holy Fire isn't particularly popular anyways, and most people would use Dream Helmet + Dream Shield.
    I don't know much about fire-based druids, but generally Phoenix doesn't seem to have the main advantages they want. Once you get the money up, you could make one or two, and experiment around with it, but phoenix is generally used for the Enhanced Damage.
  3. dragono

dragono IncGamers Member

I've seen them used to good effect on javazons before. The enhanced damage, chance to cast firestorm, and the redemption aura really complement the javazon's lightning attacks.
  4. Yichi

Yichi IncGamers Member

I used to have a phoenix zakarum 45 base all res on my old smiter like 2 years ago when i was on us east. It did some good damage and was handy in some situations, but an upp'd hoz way outdid it.
  5. BAMFSpecialOps

BAMFSpecialOps IncGamers Member

The CTC is annoying, but redemption is pretty useful. Most builds I've seen use it is just for the redemption and they keep it on switch...free full juvs why not? A melee pally would make the best use of it with a ed/ar base shield, a pure zealer could use the CTC firestorm for PI's. Generally there is a better option because the shield offers nothing for blocking.
  6. madrettorrR

madrettorrR IncGamers Member

It's nice shield for a Whirlwind Barb if you want to have a lot of damage. Two ladders ago I made a WWB with a Phoenix Monarch and that char really kicked ***!
    The downside to make a char like this is, the equipment... Not easy to get a hang on. I used: Phoenix, Forti Armor, eBOTD, Arreats (ber), Gores, Dracs / Steelrends, Raven, Angelic combo, Verdungo's, Torch & Anni.

I've tried the shield on multiple chars, but it never quite seemed to work as good as it did on the barb.