Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

petition for an offline mode!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Community Forum' started by zizo, Mar 30, 2012. | Replies: 25 | Views: 2197

1. zizo

zizo IncGamers Member

petition for an offline mode!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey all :D

guys do you think we could file a petition for a separate offline mode for Diablo 3 ??

How will it work:
    The system of offline should be a combination of the D2 system; where u have an offline mode with unlimited number of characters and a separate online mode which is equivalent to the current mode in the beta (limited to 10 characters per profile) and the SC2 system where u need to be online even in single player to get the single player achievements but if u aren't online then u can play but with no achievements (for story, builds testing and mayb hard-coring without the fear of latency or internet dropping).

Why it IS important:
    1) Simply put it this way u will certainly face situations that u might not have internet (not all countries have internet every where as mister jay thinks) like going to a family place or travelling or working abroad or having low quality internet connection ..........etc, and that is one of many situations that all of us Will certainly face and at the beginning it might not seem a problem until it happens more than once.

2)a- Hardcore characters will be unplayable in later difficalties off-course not because of the challenge from monsters and difficulties but because of the challenge of latency or internet dropping or mayb server maintenance or updates!!!!!! cuz really if this happens with me and i see a fragile character such as my darling Wizard die in hell or nightmare because i had some *#@! high latency i may smash my PC and then never go back to Diablo 3 (Of-course i may not do this or will I:scratchchin: won't know until release ) i know that this MAY be solved through the pause function but even this they don't have it implemented

2)b- Bashiok answer to this (hardcore c/cs facing latency ) was really really!! disappointing to the point that i wouldn't want to try a hardcore from the fear of frustration not from the pride of the challenge, because when my character die from a monster attack on a hell or inferno difficulty i would feel proud to have such an achievement but to die from latency or internet dropping that would be a disappointment

BTW i know that some may have written on such a topic and maybe the same solution but i really needed to share my thoughts and See what all off u think:D and how can we make Blizzard listen to this in an effective way much as they listened to followers (or was it luck)

thanks and Lots of love to u all 4rom Egypt:smug:
  2. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

This topic was beat to death months ago.

Blizzard will not change it, and it's not even really possible at this point even if they wanted to.

There was a petition about this a while back and it failed miserably, which only proved to blizzard that they were right.

And for the record, I would love to see an offline mode too.
  3. LuMpX

LuMpX IncGamers Member

I understand that some people might have problems getting their hands on a decent internet connection but the advantages for the whole player base regarding anti hack/dupe/whatever measures just outweigh those problems easily.
    Atleast thats what I think. But I'll have no problem with finding a decent connection anyway...

Edit: And yeah the topic should be left alone and considered dead by now.
  4. Sex

Sex IncGamers Member

Re: petition for an offline mode!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd love to see an offline mode, however it is too late for that kind of change - as well as I recal a past petition that failed miserably for the same cause.

Shame.
  5. Bad Ash

Bad Ash IncGamers Site Pal

I am going to start a petition that no one who has an issue with any video game ever again can start a petition. (not just related to D3 but it would be a start)
  6. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

i am gonna start a petition for pvp arena in offline mode
  7. yovargas

yovargas IncGamers Member

I expect Blizz will answer your calls for an offline mode. Unfortunately, it'll be 2 or 3 leap years from now.
  8. Risingred

Risingred IncGamers Member

lulz
    Already maphack and the budding starts of botting.

It's not worth this:

But no, it won't change.

9. hatred

hatred IncGamers Member

just wait for game to get cracked?
    online only is just form of DRM, not much else
  10. Risingred

I can't even remember how many times it's been said that you don't "crack" an online game.

11. Eagle

Eagle IncGamers Member

You'll likely get offline mode if/when the console version comes out. Of course, then you'll have to play on a console, which doesn't sound like fun to me.
  12. fnwc

fnwc IncGamers Member

D3 was programmed using a client/server model for a multitude of reasons, one of which is security. That doesn't mean it can't be exploited (as previous videos have shown), but it definitely makes it harder if the server code isn't local.

Tools like mooege essentially act like the server, but they have to program it from a black box point of view.

It seems pretty unlikely they would now reverse their decision to have an offline mode (console version or not) and sacrifice that added security, especially in light of features like the RMAH.

Personally, I'd rather have a more secure game than have the ability to play it offline. There are simply some games that can only be played online, and this is one of them.

This is a trend that isn't going to change, you might as get well get used to it.
  13. Risingred

Hurp. Derpahurp hurp derp?
    I don't even know what half of what your post was trying to say. D2 also used a client/server model and look how that worked out. Without going into specifics about D3 or warden, no, this is not even remotely secure. Especially with some recent changes. I've never been the tinfoil hat type, but I'm beginning to believe them when they say that online only is only to filter people through the RMAH.

14. Panopticon

Panopticon IncGamers Member

Needs more exclamation points IMO.
  15. fnwc

fnwc IncGamers Member

Huh?

D2 was also using the client/server model, but the server code was also stored locally on your computer, which is what an offline mode would require. This allows people to disseminate the server code directly.

The current D3 model only ships the client code which, while not entirely secure, is certainly more secure than D2's model.

16. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

By my count, 80% of the hacks in D2 would not have been eliminated by online only. Of the remaining 20%, half of them would be eliminated by technology improvements alleged to be in D3. That really only leaves us with some private rollbacks and maybe the ability to get to A5 in classic that online only would be necessary for preventing.

Bad trade imho.

17. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

in d2 i never played sp. even though i was always in locked games i just liked being online better
  18. fnwc

fnwc IncGamers Member

No offense, but your accounting is simply speculation. I can't make an argument against a hypothetical case.

You can't eliminate the hacks, true. But I will continue to argue that having the server code available locally (i.e., installed on your computer) is less secure (this was D2's model).

19. Srikandi

Srikandi IncGamers Member

Just make offline mode a (very slightly) different game :p Just as the emulated game is a different game. Same mechanics, minor differences in maps, drops etc. And, of course, no moving online characters offline or vice versa. That should prevent the kinds of abuses D2 had.

20. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

Not all speculation is created equal. Mine comes from:- following the places those hacks were developed from before day 1- my own experience reverse engineering- my own experience as a devWhere is your speculation, that online only is likely to prevent hacks, coming from? Give some concrete examples instead of just parroting things.