Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Penetrate useless with ITD and GA?

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Hairless, Apr 1, 2012. | Replies: 7 | Views: 1595

1. Hairless

Hairless IncGamers Member

Penetrate useless with ITD and GA?

Hi,

I recently started playing again and have been having a good time strafing The Pits.

If I have ITD, and use Guided Arrow against bosses, then there is no point putting points into Penetrate, right?
  2. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx IncGamers Member

Re: Penetrate useless with ITD and GA?

You won't always be using GA against bosses ( imo only act bosses are worthwhile to use them against ). But yes, if you're using a bow with ITD ( commonly faith ) then no need to level penetrate at all.

2nd thing: I'm not completely sure, but I think Windforce is better than faith for pvm. And WF doesn't have ITD.
  3. Fyourics

Fyourics IncGamers Member

Bosses also include champion, uniques and super-uniques, so I always end up putting points into penetrate, as I find guided arrow to be lack-luster in pvm. However, your way should work.
  4. Pyrotechnician

Pyrotechnician IncGamers Site Pal

As stated above, the only difficulty will be with chamions, uniques, and super-uniques as you will most likely be strafing them and itd doesn't work against them. Either way I usually have enough skill points to carry me with only putting one point in it. Not sure of your setup but you should be fine as long as you have decent AR.
  5. Hairless

I am thinking that uniques and super-uniques can be finished off with GA after strafing away their pack (unless merc hasn't dealt with them already). Champion packs would take longer.

Is the bonus damage from GA equivalent to adding off-weapon ED? So a level 21 GA adds 100% off-weapon ED and wouldn't do much more than a level 1 GA if you have 1000+% off-weapon ED already?

This is somewhat hypothetical for me atm since i don't have said bow with ITD. I don't have much gear actually, current setup is:

Harmony (-> Faith)
    Duress (-> Fortitude)
    Stealskull (-> Tal's, or maybe even a Rockstopper if i have leech elsewhere)
    LoH
    Goldwrap (-> uncertain)
    Goblin Toe (-> War Travs)
    Chromatic Amulet (-> uncertain*)
    Rare Rings (-> Ravenfrost, -)

*my merc has a Reapers, so i don't really need Atma's here.

Picked up a 35% Gheeds last night :thumbup:
  6. Pyrotechnician

Pyrotechnician IncGamers Site Pal

Skill Ed is the equivalent of off weapon ed. So 100% from GA combined with 1000% other off weapon ED won't look like much.

Vamp Gaze is usually my go to for my bowa, throw in a res/ias jewel or um and its pretty well rounded. Zon circlets are obviously nice but expensive/hard to find.

For belt I usually like razortail for added pierce, but not sure if its necessary for strafe all that much, Nos coil is always a good choice with its ias, ll, and slow.

Atma's>Reapers for a bowa, they shouldn't be getting close to you so 100% damage is much better then 50% damage. If you want to go all out, consider using windforce with a faith merc and switching to atmas.

Second ring can be any good dual leach/stat/res ring to fill in the gaps.
  7. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx IncGamers Member

Still, bows have low damage so any ED at all is still worth it. The second reason is that well you don't have anything else to really put points into. FA tree isn't really worth it without +skills, which causes conflicts in equipment setup ( CoH vs fortitude, 2/20 BC gloves vs LoH, Atma's vs Maras, etc. ). Some people like to use LF/CS on switch but again the lack of +skills will bite you. FA build is much more suited to a hybrid. On my strafer, I maxed strafe, penetrate, critical, enough pierce to reach 100 with razortail and rest in multishot . I don't need elemental backup because a) I run pits where there are no PIs ever b) amp will break it.
  8. Hairless

yeah, not really much else to spend points on. I have come up with this:

Magic Arrow: 20 (for dealing with unbreakable PI's and to avoid getting strafe locked against Baal and his appendages)
    Strafe: 20 (i consider the bonus damage to be worth it)
    Critical Strike: 20 (similar reasoning to previous)
    Valkyrie: 16 (assuming at least +1 skills)
    Pierce: 5 (assuming +4 skills and razortail)
    Pre-req's: 9
    Penetrate: as many points as required. If 20 isn't, then put them somewhere else.

As for Atma v Reaper, I prefer Reapers because it dramatically increases my merc's ability to stay alive whilst providing a similar boost to damage (since enemies will be Decrepified by Reapers more often than Amp'd by Atma's).

Edit: Also, I prefer Rockstopper + dual leech ring to Tals or Vamp Gaze. Seems to me Rockstopper is underrated, although not having leech or IAS makes it not that great i suppose. I am super happy with my 34/39/43 though, the FHR is quite appealing.
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012