Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Patriarch WWF

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by thefranklin, May 23, 2013. | Replies: 4 | Views: 913

1. thefranklin

thefranklin IncGamers Member

Patriarch WWF

As most of my Diablo 2 projects these days, this character has been in the works unfinished for a year or so. I always liked wolfbarbs (had one the last Bnet ladder I played two years ago or so), and since 1.13 made it so much easier to level I had to handicap myself a bit to not feel so bad compared to the people who normal attacked to 79 or put up with the ww level bug with a bloodletter.

So My Brilliant Idea (TM) was to have a hybrid ww-wolf barb, that I dubbed WWF, which stands for Whirling Wild wolF. I didn't realize that wolf did not start with F until I started typing this out, yeah its like that. I was tired when I had the idea and named it. I did have a high damage ribcracker and the runes to up it, and then promptly found a 299% ribcracker the next day. Oh well, this will do.

GoMule Data
    Name: WWF
    Class: Barbarian
    Experience: 945248709
    Level: 83

Naked/Gear
    Strength: 233/247
    Dexterity: 35/80
    Vitality: 168/182
    Energy: 10/10
    HP: 851/1068
    Mana: 92/132
    Stamina: 317/337
    Defense: 8/1362
    AR: 160/833

Fire: 79/39/-21
    Cold: 20/-20/-80
    Lightning: 84/44/-16
    Poison: 20/-20/-80

MF: 34 Block: 9
    GF: 164
    FR/W: 30
    FHR: 62
    IAS: 110
    FCR: 0

Skills
    Bash: 1/2
    Leap: 1/2
    Double Swing: 0/0
    Stun: 1/2
    Double Throw: 0/0
    Leap Attack: 1/2
    Concentrate: 1/2
    Frenzy: 0/0
    Whirlwind: 19/20
    Berserk: 1/2

Sword Mastery: 0/0
    Axe Mastery: 0/0
    Mace Mastery: 20/21
    Pole Arm Mastery: 0/0
    Throwing Mastery: 0/0
    Spear Mastery: 0/0
    Increased Stamina: 1/2
    Iron Skin: 1/2
    Increased Speed: 3/4
    Natural Resistance: 7/8

Howl: 1/5
    Find Potion: 1/5
    Taunt: 1/5
    Shout: 11/15
    Find Item: 1/5
    Battle Cry: 0/0
    Battle Orders: 20/24
    Grim Ward: 0/0
    War Cry: 0/0
    Battle Command: 1/5

Final stats after hitting level 84 (downed Baal at 83)
    WW Mode
    WW Mode (Berserk)
    Wolf Mode

Gear Readouts
    Wolfhowl
    Fury Visor
    Defense: 335
    Durability: 35 of 35
    Required Level: 79
    Required Strength: 129
    Fingerprint: 0xec390851
    Item Level: 87
    Version: Expansion 1.10+
    +3 to Warcry Skills (Barbarian Only)
    33% Enhanced Damage
    +3 to Feral Rage
    +5 to Lycanthropy
    +6 to Werewolf
    +122% Enhanced Defense
    +14 to Strength
    +12 to Dexterity
    +14 to Vitality
    Level 15 Summon Dire Wolf (18/18 Charges)
    1 Sockets (1 used)
    Socketed: Ruby Jewel

Ruby Jewel
    Jewel
    Required Level: 58
    Fingerprint: 0xa8c2bc19
    Item Level: 75
    33% Enhanced Damage

Highlord's Wrath
    Amulet
    Required Level: 65
    Fingerprint: 0xa69a713a
    Item Level: 75
    +1 to All Skills
    +20% Increased Attack Speed
    Adds 1 - 30 Lightning Damage
    31% Deadly Strike (Based on Character Level)
    Lightning Resist +35%
    Attacker Takes Lightning Damage of 15

Shaftstop
    Mesh Armor
    Defense: 663
    Durability: 42 of 45
    Required Level: 38
    Required Strength: 92
    Fingerprint: 0x1831efc3
    +210% Enhanced Defense
    +250 Defense vs. Missile
    +60 to Life
    Damage Reduced by 30%

Raven Frost
    Ring
    Required Level: 45
    Fingerprint: 0xe8f37d8a
    +228 to Attack Rating
    Adds 15 - 45 Cold Damage Over 4 Secs (100 Frames)
    +18 to Dexterity
    +40 to Mana
    Cold Absorb 20%
    Cannot Be Frozen

Manald Heal
    Ring
    Required Level: 15
    Fingerprint: 0xbfd383d1
    5% Mana stolen per hit
    +20 to Life
    Replenish Life +8
    Regenerate Mana 20%

String of Ears
    Demonhide Sash
    Defense: 108
    Durability: 22 of 22
    Required Level: 29
    Required Strength: 20
    Fingerprint: 0x3582edf4
    8% Life stolen per hit
    +167% Enhanced Defense
    +15 Defense
    Damage Reduced by 14%
    Magic Damage Reduced by 15
    +10 Maximum Durability

Gore Rider
    War Boots
    Defense: 150
    Durability: 34 of 34
    Required Level: 47
    Required Strength: 94
    Fingerprint: 0x61f6839f
    +30% Faster Run/Walk
    15% Chance of Crushing Blow
    15% Deadly Strike
    10% Chance of Open Wounds
    +178% Enhanced Defense
    +20 Maximum Stamina
    Requirements -25%
    +10 Maximum Durability

Laying of Hands
    Bramble Mitts
    Defense: 86
    Durability: 12 of 12
    Required Level: 63
    Required Strength: 50
    Fingerprint: 0x934b3aa
    10% Chance to cast level 3 Holy Bolt on striking
    +20% Increased Attack Speed
    +350% Damage to Demons
    +25 Defense
    Fire Resist +50%

Dual Spirit on switch, but was Spirit + Culwens Point until I found a 4 socketed sword in Act V Hell
    Merc with Reapers, Tal's Helm, Duriel's Shell

Notes from my Play (aka random dumb thoughts, and I apparently forgot Ribcracker had fhr on it)
    My first twinked current version single player character is going to be a whirling wild wolf. Searching through my low level sets finds me deaths sword/belt, sigons boots/gloves, beserkers helm/body (only using because this is a barb!), and angelics ring (x2)/ammy/weapon. This should give me a good set of extra bonuses for the first 15 levels. I didn’t mule on any merc gear, which didn’t really matter. Level 15 – 1.07 Ravenclaw. Never used this before, and dang, one shotting packs is fun.

How do you guys tell the difference in Gomule? I guess I will personalize it when I get to Act V. Death’s sword has some pretty steep stat requirements, going to have to Hel a couple if I want to use them for my low level characters. Does Angelic’s weapon 75% damage count as off weapon (I think it does, I could swear I remember Aldur’s working that way), so does the enhanced damage count towards my main weapon as well because I am dual wielding? Hmm, if only the 350 ed on Aldurs weapon wasn’t part of completing the whole set, would be a fun way to add damage to a dual wielding wolf.

I appeared to have lost what I wrote down for normal and nightmare, but I remember it being easy. Iron Pelt + String of Ears gives enough mdr to be immune for most of nightmare. Maybe I need a little pdr, but I was a big tough barb with upped steeldriver or a pair of butchers pupils and then up'd ribcracker, so it was quite easy.

Hell Act 1:
    Started at level 72, leveled to 76 by the pits, and a few pit runs got me to 79. I went wolf the entire rest of the act. It was not hard, no deaths (as a wolf, had a few in ww mode while testing the limits and also due to not changing most gear since normal) but a little slow.

Hell Act 2: I used my whirlwind spec a little more this act just to speed things up. Ran by a lot of undead skeletons, whirled through a lot of pi's. Berserk works a lot better on Pis than wolf form, especially considering I don't have any open wounds. So I was rarely in wolf form in this act.

Hell Act 3: This act was the real reason why I decided to combine the ww and wolf skills, so I could whirl through flayers and blow darters. This did work well, but wolf form also worked well because I was mostly one shotting them. WW form (as I am now calling it) was very helpful because it allowed me to leap across rivers and in the flayer dungeon level 3. I was in wolf form with Mephisto, but it took forever. Then I realized I was whacking him with my spirit, once I switched to the ribcracker he dropped like a baby seal. Club. And dropped me some Goreriders, so I went ahead and put them on.

Hell Act 4: I thought WW mode would be quicker here, so I walked out into the plains and immediately attempted to whirl through a triple doom knight boss pack. After a quick town trip, I switched to Wolf mode and handled them just fine. Finally Wolf mode has paid out! This pack was a lot easier when I could not get hit by every dude in the pack, and I finally made use of the act 2's merc decripify. Most of the first three acts he was waddling two screens back.
    I had a very close NDE in the City of the Damned to a double pack of Damned. Yikes, light resistance is about 35 now (since I replaced Nats with Goreriders) with 3300 life in wolf form. Strange because a normal Damned dies in one hit. Hellforge was a Pul, so I can up the 299 ed ribcracker I found one or two days after I upped my current 290 ed ribcracker.

I had another NDE in the River of Flame to a dual pack of Venom Lords with both bosses being physical immune. Decrip breaks it and they go down once I take care of the minions. This guy has some serious troubles when he gets mobbed, I bet I could use some fcr. Think I only have 12%. which gives me a 6 frame recovery. Diablo was very easy and coughed up a Dirk Diggler.

Hell Act 5:

Ancients went down in 10 seconds as expected. WSK one had witches, vampires, and cold mages. WSK2 had snakes, shocking fiends and blow darters. Lovely low life enemies. After fighting all sorts of boss packs at the same time, it is nice and refreshing for the waves to come one at a time. Lister was extra fast mana burn, but no problem in Wolf Mode. Baal graced me with a rare-ish unique (Warshrike, only TC 78 though) and a 3% Eye of Etlich. But the drop looked pretty.

Synopsis:

Hell was easy when no gloams/death lords/PI's spawn in the last two acts.

1. Wolfbarbs are fun, but a stationary single target attack is something the barb already has. What the barb does not have is a stationary multi-target attack, so change wolfhowl to fury and then we would be talking. And getting to level 79 to take of Arreats hurts inside quite a lot.
    2. WW barbs are too strong, going into Wolf Mode reds out out all of the barbs utility (Berserk, Leap, repositioning with WW, etc). If I had the gear to withstand whirling through tough stuff, I would not have been in Wolf Mode as much.
    3. Wolf barbs are great if you can one shot everything. Having to 3-4 shot every single monster on the screen is annoying, which is why I took hell at P1. I am sure it would have been easy enough to up it to 3 or 5, I just didn't have the patience. Running around with right click held down and just mowing down monsters is satisfying. But, if I could do that in Wolf Mode, I could probably do it in WW Mode, but with less style.
    4. Teleport is OP. Not that I have enigma, but I did most of hell without a merc because he was lagging behind looking at the paintings on the walls while I was tanking dangerous boss packs. When I was down to about 2 minions, then he might come help if he felt like it. The ability to Tele is something that you also give up in Wolf Mode.
    5. I used angelic's most of the way, but switched it out for damage (highlords) and mana leach once I put wolfhowl on. Eww at the AR, but it was managable. I used Mav's Belt for mana leach at times, and not a bad tradeoff. Extra FRW is always welcome. Being the hybrid I was, I did need mana leach so I could whirl.
    6. I have 69 leftover points and they all might go to strength for damage. My life was fine where it was, maybe a tad on the short side.
    7. I am not a huge fan of prebuffing. I have a demon's limb in stash, and it raised my AR a little bit. I would rather have a weapon switch with some utility than just some stat sticks. I do have a Mang Song's to use when I hit level 85, that will be fun as a prebuff I guess. Actual, it is 82 I will xfer that on!

Future Plans:
    1. Figure out out better gear for this guy while destroying the council. I could bring in a 1.07 Arkaines or Glad Bane, or shoot for Fort or Enigma, there are a lot of options. Shaftstop was just the best I had laying around. I also need to shore up the charms.
    2. Council
    3. Baal
    4. Level
    5. Make Lawbringer has an undead PI solution. That was the original plan, and I have a Shael Shael Heaven's Light ready to go (same mastery as Ribcracker). I really wish I had waited and quested properly, but I did run by a lot of ghosts and/or resorted to using Berserk.
    6. I have a very close Ancient Tunnels map, so I might try that once I get Lawbringer.
    7. Sadly, grief, on average, does the same damage per hit and does it quicker.

Thanks for Reading (the ramblings of an idiot)!
  2. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

Congrats! I've never made either of these barbs, so it's still interesting to read about how they work.

<3 ribbeh.

Also mang's for BO buff? Why not 2x warcry sticks?
  3. maareek

maareek IncGamers Member

Oh man, I made a WoflBarb and a WW Barb using the Ribbie and they were both an absolute insane blast, so I'm sure this was extra win.

That said, no points in Battle Cry makes me sad, as imo that's one of the best skills in the game (I'm not a big Dim Vision/CoS kinda guy, and sacrificing damage for AR rarely fits into my plans so...) and synergizing Berserk instead of putting points in Find Item doesn't make a lot of sense to me in general, especially as a runner. Berserk will rarely be used and when it is, it's generally strong enough as a one point wonder whereas getting Find Item up to ~50% isn't that huge of a skill investment and adds a ton to your item finds over the long haul.

You might want a touch more life, but yeah you can probably dump the majority of those points into strength and be just fine. More damage = more leech, after all. If you intend serious Baal running, though, some life charms or a few more Vitality points might be nice - some of those packs/pairings of packs can be insane. For just running the Council, you probably want to drop the Ravenfrost, as Torc (IIRC) always has CI and being chilled only slows move speed, not attack speed, with WW so whirling through the pack will be deadly. Get a map where they clump up near or to the side of the Durance entrance (most important thing being they all spawn in the top part, really), pop in the Durance when you run up the steps, then pop back out to bring the merc to you. CBF might be worth it if you have a map where they're spread out, but at the same time I'd consider a map where they're spread out a map in need of rerolling, but I guess it depends on your other plans/how long you intend to run the council.

All in all, though, two of the coolest character types in the game fused together into one, kitted well and using one of the best weapons in the game makes for one great patriarch, congrats!

@pharphis: Mang's has + all skills, which helps with lycanthropy/werewolf, too. You'd need dual HotOs to beat it for total build utility here.

Edit: also @ pharphis: Make a Ribbie Barb, you must. Maybe not immediately (though you wouldn't regret it...) but eventually! Whatever build you go with, they're great fun (well, I mean, it wouldn't make a great thrower ... or a great singer ... or a great Frenzier ... but, well, you know what I mean.)
  4. thefranklin

thefranklin IncGamers Member

Thanks for the responses! WW barb and Wolfbarb are definitely two of the coolest, and upp'ed ribby is surprisingly effective for how easy they are to find.

I relied heavily on Battlecry on my 1.07 barb, and I don't feel it is really needed for this character, especially with WW. Range is short, and by the time you cast it you could have already whacked them to death anyways. And then the merc will overwrite it anyways. If it had the range of BO, then sure you could cast it on a pack and whirl through it. If I was playing at higher than p1, maybe.

And the extra points into Shout are more for defense than synergizing Berserk. I will need to put more in find item, but I will probably respec to pure wolf for some trav running to do that, hence I kept on CBF.
  5. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx IncGamers Member

Cool Pat!
    I don't agree with your views on fury vs feral rage. Fury is a terrible melee skill, feral is much better. Changing wolfhowl from feral rage to fury would be a good way to ruin the entire build.

And while ribby is ok I think oath ethereal 2H sword is better (cheap too ), and doesn't look some kind of girly toy.