Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

[Patch 10 info] Oh @#$%!...Nephalem Altars removed. Swap skill fest is BACK

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Jaime, Jan 24, 2012. | Replies: 46 | Views: 4477

1. Jaime

Jaime IncGamers Member

[Patch 10 info] Oh @#$%!...Nephalem Altars removed. Swap skill fest is BACK

"Nephalem Altars have been removed and players can now swap unlocked skills at any point during gameplay via the Skills list. This will impose a 30-second cooldown on the newly-activated skill, during which time the skill cannot be exchanged for another."

''Please note that the skills system is still considered a work-in-progress and will be undergoing additional changes in future patches. This iteration of the system is not final."

Blizzard is backpedaling or is just me having this impression?

"We don't want you guys out of the fray, so caudron + cube."

Then, removed, cause going to town was nice.

"We don't want skill swap to become meta-game."

Now this joke is back...what is happenig? :crazyeyes:
  2. Bowzer

Bowzer <a href="payments.php">IncGamers Site Pal</a><br>D

Re: [Patch 10 info] Oh @#$%!...Nephalem Altars removed. Swap skill fest is BACK

They want to slow down inflation by limiting the resources you can farm before going to town, but they don't want you to have to slow down your progress by switching skills in town.

Seems pretty clear to me.

3. Azzure

Azzure IncGamers Member

You sure did interpret that change in a very strange way. They have changed it so you can't abuse it, which was the only issue people really had with the first iteration of it.
  4. Jaime

Jaime IncGamers Member

I know..reading with a more cool head, i understand that it prevents abuse (dont know if we could or could not change skills in cooldow).

It's just that im a little frustrated with Blizzard latelly.
  5. Chaboi

Chaboi IncGamers Member

Faith restored. The people at blizzard can see obvious and easy solutions to problems.
  6. WDC

WDC IncGamers Member

I am very much for this change. The Nephalem alter was kind of an unnecessary annoyance.
  7. Scorch Hellfire

Scorch Hellfire IncGamers Member

I like that skills are swappable anywhere again, but I wish they would make the cooldown longer. I think people will try to abuse the free swapping in the field even with having to wait for 30 seconds to swap them again. It should be more like 5 minutes (the exception being when you first put a skill into a newly unlocked slot)...
  8. ael

ael IncGamers Member

Because **** you blizzard, thats why.
  9. humungous

humungous IncGamers Member

Remember, this is still a VERY unfinished system and is clearly a stopgap. Still, it frustrates me that after 4 years of tinkling with god knows how many new systems, they're finally beating everything with cooldowns. So much for innovation and iteration.
  10. Abomb

Abomb IncGamers Member

In other news, someone posted datamined skill affixes added to this patch!

11. ChamPam

ChamPam IncGamers Member

I think is very good. Becase if you dont visit the town, you will miss some quest to, after while. Of curse there will be quest npc in the world, but head story are in town i think.
  12. Raesene

Raesene IncGamers Member

I am very pleased with this change. I tolerated the altar, but it felt very clunky. It's very nice to be able to swap in a skill right after you level instead of having to waste time going back to town.
  13. ThulRasha

ThulRasha Diablo: IncGamers Member

I never much cared for that altar anyway. Good change in my opinion.
  14. ShadoutMapes

ShadoutMapes IncGamers Member

The altars weren't good, but this change sucks.
    How is this any different from the combat respeccing which they seemed to dislike a few months ago.
  15. Inarius

Inarius IncGamers Member

Blizzard changed always-swapping for in-town-swapping because players played with an open skill menu and swapped on the fly, depending on the enemy they had to face.

Now the beta patch says "This will impose a 30-second cooldown on the newly-activated skill, during which time the skill cannot be exchanged for another."

What does it mean? I read it as: run around in the dungeon with an open skill menu, change your skill, you can use the new skill immediately, but you cant change it back to the old (or an other) skill in the next 30 seconds.

So how exactly does the new (old?) system limit skill swapping in fights? Seems like the old system they tried to combat with "in town only" and "nethalem altar". So back to the broken roots?

I like freespecs, and I like free speccing in the dungeons (for example after receiving a new skill because of a level up). But if this is just the second try for the broken old version, then I am against the change. Why not have a 2 to 5 minute cool down on your skill tree every time you change one or more skills (not a rune in a skill), so that you cant free spec every 30 seconds (= before and after every fight?)
  16. MrMegaProphet

MrMegaProphet IncGamers Member

In my opinion they could just make the skill pane to auto-close when you engage in combat, and have a little buff appear when you are out of combat for about 2 minutes. When the buff is up you can change the skills, otherwise you can't. And no altar needed?
  17. Namik

Namik IncGamers Member

The altar was temporery solution in the first place. Also as they said they are rewarking the skills system so the cooldown might not be needed, they might have solution to it already, just not ready for beta.
  18. Raesene

Raesene IncGamers Member

I think this is the type of solution they really want to do, but can't due to technical limitations. They have stated that the game engine has no concept of "in combat" or "out of combat". They are never going to have everyone be happy with any solution because there is a lot of difference of opinion on what the problem actually is. Some believe it's a problem you're allowed to change the skills pretty much at all, and in that case, they overblow the minor problems that skill swapping can have (a lot of histrionics about running around with the skill window constantly open).

19. MrMegaProphet

MrMegaProphet IncGamers Member

I guess it could be what Namik said, if not there's always the straightforward option to allow skill swapping only in town. We will indeed have to wait and see what they have been doing to the skill system.. :)
  20. raveharu

raveharu IncGamers Member

Skill swapping will obviously be an excellent source of gold sink.