Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Patch 1.0.7 - What do you think?

Discussion in 'Monk' started by windstriker, Jan 15, 2013. | Replies: 22 | Views: 7901

1. windstriker

windstriker IncGamers Member

Patch notes are here - what do you think? Kind of seems like they managed to not fix a single problem to me, but I may be incorrect.

They took the easy way out and increased dmg on some of our spirit spenders. Cyclone Strike needed a decreased spirit cost or increased range to be useful, not dmg. Tempest Rush could have used a fixed spirit cost, so it did not drain all your spirit instantly if you had high attack speed. I do not think many actually use it to kill stuff, even though you may be able to now.
    SW and cyclone got a buff, weird that they only buffed the really useful runes and not the ones no one use. They did at the same time fix so that you can't buff your SW with Blind though if you look at the "bug fix", so may even be a little nerf in the end :)
    Wave of Light got a HUGE damage boost, may be fun to try with extreme spirit regen on your monk. Bells monk anyone?
    Exploding Palm also got a quite extreme damage boost. Perhaps will be a good skill for high paragon farming?

These changes are not that impressive at all, and they're all quite damn boring. But what really sucks is that they did nothing about our passives. The worthless passives for monk may be what breaks this class for me in the end.

What do you think about the changes? Time to change class or will this bring back your interest in the monk perhaps?

Active Skills

Cyclone Strike
    Weapon damage increased from 100% to 313%

Dashing Strike
    Weapon damage increased from 160% to 303%

Exploding Palm
    Explosion damage increased from 30% to 50% of the target’s maximum health

Inner Sanctuary
    Radius increased from 8 yards to 11 yards

Skill Rune – Forbidden Palace
    Damage bonus increased from 10% to 15%

Skill Rune – Sanctified Ground
    Now reduces enemy movement speed by 80% (up from 60%)

Lashing Tail Kick
    Weapon damage increased from 235% to 470%

Mystic Ally
    The amount of damage a Mystic Ally can take from a single hit is now capped
    The cap scales with the player’s level, and is further reduced by the player’s Armor and Resistance

Skill Rune – Eternal Ally
    Weapon Damage increased from 40% to 60%.
    The Eternal Ally now has a 100% chance to be reborn after 3 seconds (up from 50% and down from 5 seconds).

Skill Rune – Fire Ally
    The cooldown of the Fire Ally’s special attack has been reduced from 8 seconds to 4 seconds.

Skill Rune – Water Ally
    The Water Ally’s special attack now reduces enemy movement speed by 60% (up from 30%).
    The cooldown of the Water Ally’s special attack has been reduced from 8 seconds to 4 seconds

Sweeping Wind
    Base weapon damage increased from 15% to 20% per stack.

Skill Rune – Blade Storm
    Weapon damage increased from 20% to 26% per stack

Skill Rune – Cyclone
    Weapon damage increased from 20% to 26% per stack

Tempest Rush
    Weapon Damage increased from 85% to 155%

Wave of Light
    Weapon damage increased from 390% to 829%.

Passive Skills

Near Death Experience
    Dying will now reset the cooldown.

Bug Fixes
    Fixed an issue where Sweeping Wind was not actively updating its damage and attributes from the player
  2. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Seems to me like they significantly boosted everything. Diversity is actually viable now. Also, they fixed a bug where damage buffs didn't apply to SW. That means they now do, so Blinding will always boost SW, not the other way around.

Also, they buffed Near Death Experience. Unless we go back to 1.04 Passives, what were you expecting?
  3. windstriker

I do not think you're correct on this one. Atm people use Blind just before SW and the dmg buff is then kept on SW as long as you're updating it correctly. Some even change weapon before their run to boost it even more. Now you will only get the dmg buff for the 3 seconds blind is active (if I understand everything correctly). I think this is a good change by blizz btw.

They did not boost everything, but a lot indeed. I'm just sad they went for dmg boosts, it results in most runes on skills not being useful still. But there will probably be more diversity, indeed.

And about passives, I did not expect anything but I had hoped for something! Wouldn't it be nice with a passive giving 1 spirit each time you dodge (or crit) perhaps? Or at least one passive that increases dmg? With my Barb, I can either choose 3 defensive passives or 3 offensive (or some utility passives ofc). This makes him very flexible, as without any gear change I can go from a tanking build to dmg dealing build. With my monk I only choose between Defensive and movement (only use spiritregen for tempest rush). Think some changes here would open up for a lot of more builds!

May be some changes here open for some extreme spirit regen builds. Will be interesting to see, Xephirian amu and SoJ may increase even more in price :) I've reached 26 spirit regen with a 2-hander so far, with that you can use Wave of Light quite often but you need Mantra of Healing and can't use the high damage SW runes which may be hard to make up for. But gonna try it, because it's fun with a lot of spirit even though the dmg is low!
  4. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

We'll see on the SW. I never heard of it carrying a buff infinitely. I did hear that manually recasting canceled some, but IDK how that works.

Regarding passives, we already have 2 that increase damage; not many use them though. I'd love a regen per crit thing, but each generator has that anyway.
  5. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

I agree about the SW nerf, I think it will now just take your listed DPS all the time. I also agree that it's a good thing, even if it hurts the monks power a bit in the short term.

The passives could have used some love, I do agree that a passive that does something on crit would be awesome.

I think I may try my monk out some more once that patch hits. I think the damage increase will make some skills much more viable at least.

Could have been much better, but at least we didn't get completely ignored this time!
  6. Genocides

Genocides IncGamers Site Pal

I don't really get how they messed more with the Skill Runes* that were useful rather than fix the boring ones. They also did nothing to make other spirit generators more viable. I'm still a user of WotHF, but that's cause I prefer it to the cookie
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  7. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

What gen fix would you have liked to see? Deadly is used for massive defense bonus, and crippling has its own damage buff with snare.
  8. windstriker

Been reading a bit on the monk US forums. Seems that this change may only be affecting gear-swapping. If so, these changes actually result in a buff for monks that do not gear-swap (I don't). Do not really like that, it makes Blind too good to not use.

Btw, seems like most people over there are quite disappointed over not getting some passives fixed.
  9. Genocides

Here's part of my observations that I copy and pasted from Bnet;

The other spirit generators lack mobility, Radius of attack could/should be better. A clear lack of appealing rune choices that can compete with FoT,TC.
    Another sticking point is the lack of a real difference in the amount of spirit generated. 6,6,7,8 I mean hardly very noticeable. It should be something more akin to;

Fist of Thunder: 6
    Way of the Hundred Fists: 7 and each additional mob hit adds 0.5 spirit per stack.
    Deadly Reach: 6 and critical hits add 1 more spirit per stack/ per mob.
    Crippling Wave: 8 every 500 dexterity adds 1 additional spirit per stack.

Spirit Generators lack much identity Deadly Reach could hit further away and have a base chance to keep mobs pushed back to the maximum reach of a deadly reach stack

Crippling wave should hit in a complete circle around the monk for EACH stack expanding on the second and third hit. It would open up some interesting builds. Knockback/stun/confuse/fear builds. Each stack also builds up in the amount it slows targets coming to a maximum slowing capacity of what it currently does.

Spirit generators could have more elemental attacks attached to them to give elemental damage legendaries and opportunity to buff them akin to Burning Axe of Sankriss/ Schaffer's etc.

I'll go ahead and post the rest for fun. Some of my whacky ideas:

Other observations:

A possible change to one with everything could be to make it a base monk passive. (you start a monk and you have One with everything without it taking a passive spot) or you can reduce the amount your highest resist translates to your other resists and you add an elemental damage component to the highest resist you have (fire resists adds fire damage to your monk scaling with higher resists)

Damage reflection needs to also prevent a certain percentage of damage from actually affecting the player aswell. 10% of damage reflection from gear and stats translates to damage you also do not take or some scale that would work without being overpowered.

Spirit generation needs to have a passive tied to health globe pickup like other classes to make radius on pickup gear be more appealing.

We should have atleast 1 spirit per second generated at base without any additional Spirit generation on gear.

You could make fleet footed add a sprint to target for spirit generator attacks,akin to Way of the Hundred Fists, Blazing Fists Skill Rune.

Skill Rune ideas:
    Sweeping Winds Rune: upon reaching the third stack sweeping wind causes an explosion to everything outside the radius of Sweeping winds causing XXX% damage, this effect occurs once every 3 seconds. (can be ideal for someone sporting Deadly Reach or my modified version of Crippling Wave that hits everything around you for every stack)

Tempest Rush Rune: Each hit radiates out from the monk at mobs hit, hitting a maximum of 3 additional targets (slight base damage nerf for this rune)

Blinding Flash Rune: Changes blinding flash to a beacon of light around the monk that has a 20% chance to blind enemies within the beacon for 2 seconds. Can pulse once every X seconds to be adjusted with a pulsing animation possibly? Buff lasts for 45 seconds skill cooldown goes to 30 seconds with a 2 second blind on cast or maybe not.

Exploding Palm Rune : Increases explosion radius by X Enemies at the edge of explosion receive 30% health damage, while enemies within original cone receive the new higher 50% health damage from the exploding mob. Green Explosion graphic (explosion color really should look different for each rune instead of the effect over an enemies head or in addition to)

Mantra of Retribution: increase damage caused by feedback blast, increase chance to stun

Dashing Strike Rune: another option for sustained mobility that is not Fist of Thunder, Thunderclap. After using Dashing Strike spirit generators now teleport the monk to the target for 15 seconds.

My main suggestion to the blizzard developement staff is to just be more open minded in your approach to these unused abilities and skill runes. Stop doing a blanket damage buff to be the only fix. It's somewhat disheartening to see the total lack of a creative approach in making skills more appealing.
  10. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

TOTALLY with you on spirit per health globe, and Fleet adding a jump on all attacks/

And to be fair, the rest were also just buffs to what they do, but in the form of radius/frequency rather than damage. It's as creative as the damage making them viable since the main reason some aren't is because they can't compete with a steady flow of FoT/SW. After all, people only swapped to Vault-Trail of Cinders when it was vastly powerful.

I'm not saying it's the only way, or the best, but it is legit. The other spenders were way too underpowered to be worth the skill slot (which means either healing, mantra, serenity, etc could have to go). We already have essentially 3 mandatory things: Generator, Mantra, Serenity. The rest are fluff, but going without BoH means no healing/lack of that buff, and going without SW cuts damage nearly in half. So 1 left, and that's typically mobility. With the right damage, we can get rid of the mandatory ones for more diversity. This goes back to the dev days where I hated having only 6 skills, especially with so many seemingly mandatory. To effectively have more diversity, you'd need a higher skill capacity rather than have 1 flexible slot. Just my take.
  11. Genocides

Oh I no doubt agree that the damage buffs were needed and that they do allow for some interesting setups. I'm currently using WotHF, Blazing(have 31% extra dmg to WotHF from gear atm), Blazing Wrath, SW Inner Storm (Spirit Regen), Overawe, Cyclone Strike Implosion (extra radius), Exploding Palm the flesh is weak(target takes 12% additional), and my passives are Chant, Seize, and OWE. My spirit regen is 11, I can basically use Cyclone, Hit one with exploding, and then start spamming either Overawe, or Cyclone(somewhat of it's own interrupt) I'm at mp 5 right now, but could likely manage higher. My gear isn't all up to snuff yet, but the mobs die at a satisfying rate, it's fun and different, and the loot is ok. This is what I brought onto test. I'm a grad student that works so I play when I can: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Duskmourn-1569/hero/1227391

So the PTR does open things up substantially for different builds. That and dueling builds are completely different that what you'd normally use in pve.
  12. windstriker

I REALLY hope there will be an answer to this post as it really sums up at least my problems with the monk http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7592202372

There are also loads of people asking for a change to the set bonuses from Inna's, especially the spirit regen bonus of 0.33. If you look at some items that give spirit regen and compare with the same items giving DH Discipline, 2.3 spirit regen seems to equal 10 Discipline (and 1 spirit equal 9 discipline...). When comparing Nat's and Inna's, you see that the set bonus to Discipline from Nat is 20 discipline where Inna's give you 0.33 spirit regen. I really do not get how resources are compared between classes.
  13. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

Yea, for sure, that bonus is just insulting. If it's any consolation I think that Tal's set has far worse bonuses than Inna's.

Wow, I had forgotten exactly what they had said back then about the monk, how sad. They apparently spent 3.5 months working on deep changes for the monk and ended up just doing a numbers tweak for the most part.
  14. Genocides

Inna's yeesh. The two piece has been terrible as it never changed with the legendary improvement, and the 4 piece well sure does seem to go against their supposed mantra of improving build diversity. Love Sweeping and only used the FitL rune not gearswapped. But it would be awesome if builds could do without if people preferred and still be equally as viable.
  15. Such Violent Storms

Such Violent Storms IncGamers Member

Mantra of Retaliation still completely useless.
  16. pulli

pulli IncGamers Member

Really the worst thing about all those skills is the lack of a high base mantra - 150 mantra is simply not enough to actually do some "funny combo" with the skills in your skillbar.

So either that should be increased to something like 250/400 (and maybe increase the mantra regen on hits also by like 10-20%) OR all skills have to be lowered in mantra cost.

That way you can actually DEPEND on skills, and that way it actually makes sense to put skills there for damage instead of simply utility.
  17. Genocides

18. windstriker

Sadly, it doesn't seem that the thread will get the answer it so deserves. I guess they have a reason for ignoring the questions, even though I do not get it as it causes a lot of frustration. The chance now seems to be their "Ask the Devs".

If you're interested in getting answers, I think you should look at this http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7592202447?page=11#207
    All the questions concerning monk :) I advice you to read the questions before voting, a lot of them are bad imo.
  19. Genocides

I've read through several of those pages and there are enough questions concerning the various issues surrounding monks that I think they may actually answer some form of a question pertaining to us in that ask the devs. I think it's a good idea to make those ask the devs threads. I do however feel like they should have gotten into more specific areas and say have a ask the devs thread for each class, and then for pvp and then for general gameplay (not class specific) questions. The rating system seems flawed because many of the first few pages will be rated higher than the later pages, many of the same questions are asked in different ways, and I just don't see the rating system being a reliable source for what sorts of concerns the community really has.
  20. Dogbert

Dogbert IncGamers Member

There is no mantra called mantra of retaliation. Mantra of retribution is not useless though. We used to run it in our group for our freeze wizard, was something about reaching a break point for him. The transgression rune for 8% attack speed to party. Helps the wizard and adds dps to him and the party too! It's a good mantra.