Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Patch 1.0.4 Preview: Barbarian

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Karth, Aug 15, 2012. | Replies: 17 | Views: 4507

1. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

Patch 1.0.4 Preview: Barbarian

I like the way they're headed but I can't help but feel that it sounds like they're taking the easy route by in most places simply buffing damage. It always seemed to me that secondary characteristics of attacks (proc coefficient, rune effects, etc) are what really make things fun and interesting.

I'm happy they're doing what I thought they'd do about double tornado builds; ie nothing. Age of Nerfs, RIP.

2. magicrectangle

magicrectangle IncGamers Member

Nice to see them getting it right by buffing instead of nerfing. The attack speed nerf turned a lot of people away from the game, I guess they got the memo.

I don't mind the straight damage buffs, particularly on fury spenders, as that was the main problem with them anyway. It wasn't worth the time to use hammer of the ancients, rather than just keep spamming frenzy.

They did say they were upping the proc coefficient and damage on cleave, which seems interesting. Exploding cleave was awesome while I was leveling, it was sort of sad that it wasn't viable in any real build in inferno. Assuming the proc coefficient is high enough, a cleave spam + hammer of the ancients build might be pretty fun. Thinking something like this:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#bZURPk!ZYb!ccbYcc

I'm not sure how many enemies it takes to perma-spam birthright (with say 50% crit), I'm thinking the above would be a pretty sweet farming build, coupled with the fact that they're increasing the rate at which trash mobs drop items by a factor of 4. I'm imagining a rotation of 1 cleave, 1 hammer, but if hammer ends up spammable so much the better.

3. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

I was thinking of something similar, yeah. Hmm... looks like it would take ~4 enemies at 50% crit chance (with HotA bonus included) to keep spamming HotA without a mighty weapon.

I'll admit that what really interests me is Siesmic Slam (Shattered Ground). With the additional knockback you can keep even champion packs (but not the rare mob in a rare pack) at a distance... but because Shattered Ground has a lower proc coefficient than any other Siesmic Slam rune (20% vs 33% for most) I'm not sure even a dedicated build can effectively keep an average pack at a distance. It would be neat if you could make a moderately glass cannon-y throwbarb and use siesmic slam to keep the nastiest mobs at a safe distance. Perhaps my jury rigged build is to blame, though. I'll continue testing and expanding my set of testing-stuff gear and see what happens.

But proc coefficients still seem so much more interesting to me than straight damage buffs, given that Into the Fray can sometimes, with the right gear, remove the requirement for a barbarian to use a generator, allowing for more interesting builds.

4. DarlosND

DarlosND IncGamers Member

Will knockback actually work on elites in 1.0.4? Never seemed to work for me, even the blue ones.

Also the news on HotA is great to me. It just makes my current build stronger. HotA IS my primary, lol.

5. Youngtimer

Youngtimer IncGamers Member

Rend now seems to become a very good addition to a Sprint/Tornado kite build. 2x Lacerate could somehow equal to an Earthquake.

• Weapon damage increased from 210% over 3 seconds to 700% over 5 seconds
    • Lacerate weapon damage increased from 271% over 3 seconds to 903% over 5 seconds

6. DarlosND

Yeah, I was kinda thinking about having some kind of supporting offensive ability to go with my main build. I always wanted to use Rend because I have plenty of fury to blow, but it was never good enough. Right now I have Leap for the extra defense, but don't feel like I really need it that bad anymore.

Rend has that one rune that gives you health back based on the damage it does, right? With such a huge damage buff, that might actually be useful. Maybe not as powerful as Revenge, but still.

If you hit an enemy with rend again before the bleed effect runs out, does it stack or just reset the bleed?

7. j0zsef

j0zsef IncGamers Member

It resets, stacking bleed effects would be absolutely crazy without progressing damage. :>

I actually like the changes btw. I loved Rend while 2h farming Act 2, but for Act 3 I chose Double Tornado, and not sure if I'll go back anytime soon. That said, everytime I start up DIII, I get past the login screen just to find myself quitting the game. Not sure why's this...

8. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

It works, it just takes a knockback with a very long distance to get past elite packs' resistance to crowd control skills. I don't know of anything in the game that can knock back a rare pack leader, but Shattered Ground (with its doubled knockback distance) and Rain of Arrows (Stampede) can knock back the rare pack's minions and all of the members of a champion pack.

9. betazoid

betazoid IncGamers Member

Are you sure that it resets? I could be wrong but I recall rend stacking, it just shows all bleed effects in one damage number, but increasing one depending amount of bleed effects?

And rend is great skill for kiting. You can roll rend and run away before most mobs can hit you.

10. VagrantKing

VagrantKing IncGamers Member

To start some theorycrafting with Rend - Does anyone know if Rend's bleed effect can crit?

I want to try new builds without changing out my crit gear.

11. Sentarius

Sentarius IncGamers Member

I might start a second Barb. I like my WW Barb as-is, but want to try these newly buffed skills!

12. DarlosND

I'm pretty sure it can, but just like procing effects with Rend, I think it only does it once on initial hit. Bleed damage doesn't do a bunch of little hits over time, unfortunately.

Of course that means if you crit with it, then all of its damage over time is increased.

... wouldn't you just buy some different equipment and put your WW stuff in storage? If that even.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  13. Nachos

Nachos IncGamers Member

WEAPON THROW! I will be weapon throwing like crazy if I ever get that legendary.

14. DarlosND

Ahaha, yeah. I know somebody described a Spear/Weapon Throw build a while back. You could totally rock that. It's not exactly my style but I'd like to see it.

15. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

I'm already playing around with my own sort of throw barb. I don't really know what the generally accepted cookie cutter version of the build looks like, but the one I'm playing around with most right now looks like this:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#feXRPk!ZYf!aZaYcc

Mighty Throw is used as it reliably generates fury even with only one target (whereas ricochet, my second choice, has a 33% proc coefficient and cannot be counted on). Shattered Ground is favored over other Seismic Slam runes because it can knock back anything except for the boss of a Rare pack and act bosses, keeping them at a safe distance and causing a bit of pain too. I wish it didn't have a lower proc coefficient than other Seismic Slam skills, though. I suppose it does because it might be too powerful to permanently knock back almost anything.

I have high hopes for this build in the new patch, with new gear offering possibly a free weapon throw and all sorts of other things.

16. Sentarius

Sentarius IncGamers Member

Starting a new Barb:
    1. Lets my WW guy still be a WW guy.
    2. Lets me fiddle with skills as they unlock.
    3. Lets me grab the WW guy and WW some whenever I want without keeping track of what gear and skills need switching.
    4. Lets me God mode lower difficulty levels with farmed gear, which is always fun.

1 is most important though.

17. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

He's still the WW guy when he's wearing WW gear and using WW skills. Unless you just enjoy the leveling process in which case go for it regardless of build...

18. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

I'm getting close to starting a new barb just to carry all the garbage I keep in my stash for testing and playing around with my old one. XD