Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Party Size and Monster HP?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by fattypiggy, Mar 18, 2012. | Replies: 23 | Views: 3231

1. fattypiggy

fattypiggy IncGamers Member

Party Size and Monster HP?

I know that for each party member increase the HP of the monster, but what if my party members are currently in town? Anybody with beta can confirm this please? Thanks
  2. Raesene

Raesene IncGamers Member

Re: Party Size and Monster HP?

The monsters' HP is increased regardless of the location of all the players.
  3. fattypiggy

fattypiggy IncGamers Member

Thanks for the quick reply, the answer was really unexpected. Does that mean the monster drop item, money and exp for my team mates even if they are somewhere far away?
  4. Loriku

Loriku IncGamers Member

Wouldn't know EXACTLY but im 99% sure there is a cutoff range of how far away you are from a kill that you get xp and I'm pretty sure that ties in for tiems and gold. ie: you can't stand in town then go out and pick all your loot up and get levels.
    I haven't tested in co-op (mainly due to no IRL friends having beta) how far the range is or if it's down to the area altogether (I would think and hope it is range though). x

5. Raesene

Raesene IncGamers Member

There was a article a while ago where someone figured out the exact range you need to be in to get shared XP and drops. I don't know if it is still true as of the latest version (it was quite a few versions ago I believe).

From my own play experience, the range seems to be pretty generous. So if you are making a good-faith effort to play with the others in the group, you will all benefit.

Quest completion has no range, so you can benefit from that no matter where you are in the world. I suppose theoretically someone could complete all quests in the game w/o ever leaving town.
  6. djxput

djxput IncGamers Member

What about experience? - do you get more experience for kills if you plan in a game with more people then solo?
  7. Gamekk

Gamekk IncGamers Member

You always get the same experience from monsters regardless of how many players in the game.

8. Ixnatifual

Ixnatifual IncGamers Member

I'm guessing yes, but probably proportional to your size. Eg. 4 players would get 4 times the XP, but since you divide the XP fourways it balances out evenly compared to you playing alone.

Edit: Gamekk, so if 3 guys are hanging out in town while the 4th guy is soloing monsters, the soloer still only gets regular XP from killing the monsters, who are now much more powerful than normal? Not saying I have a problem with it, just wondering.
  9. Gamekk

Gamekk IncGamers Member

Yes, you get regular XP and have to kill harder monsters. That's why MP is sometimes bad if you play with random players/noobs.

10. Bandreus

Bandreus IncGamers Member

Chances are it was due to a glitch or something, but I was able to gather loot from monsters killed by other party members while they were well far from my location.

This happened a few days ago. Party of four, we were looking for the crown and we split. 2 of us explored one defiled crypt, the other 2 entered a second one. Me and the person who came along with me immediatelly found the crown. Since we also wanted to go for the jar of soul, we catched up with the rest of the party. As soon as we entered the crypt, we were able to follow the trail of slaughtered monsters. No corpses were left of course, but both gold and items were lying on the ground for the two of us to pick up.
  11. Ixnatifual

Ixnatifual IncGamers Member

I think I like it as it encourages people to stick together rather than run off and do stuff on their own.
  12. yovargas

yovargas IncGamers Member

Does anybody know exactly how monsters scale with more players? What the HP increases are? Anything else besides more HP?

Also, note to Blizzard - bring back /players X.
  13. Loriku

Loriku IncGamers Member

Don't know the exact scaling but they have quite a fair bit more hp, hit harder and the packs are a lot bigger. There won't be a /players x because of no offline single player :(. I have noticed the upscaling quite a bit when i've been in co-op games and it seems quite fair, hopefully 4 player co-op inferno will generate mass swarms of packs!
  14. Abazur

Abazur IncGamers Member

I think damage and hp get increased by ~250 % (4 players). Don't call me on it though, I'm not so sure. (Could also be 250 % of normal hp and damage)

15. yovargas

Also, note to Blizzard - bring back offline single player. ;)

Seriously, though, they could bring back a similar concept if they wanted to even without offline. I really, really wish they would.

16. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

The HP of normal monsters seem to increase about 75-100% with every player. It's hard to say by exactly how much, because monsters have variable amounts of HP. Leoric however seems to gain more than that.

Monster damage and XP doesn't seem to scale at all.

I did notice more gold drops in multiplayer games. It wasn't the amount that increased, but the frequency. Could be just random though.

EDIT: After further testing against Leoric I concluded, that monsters get +75% HP for every additional player in a party.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  17. mestido

mestido IncGamers Member

Isnt that like in WoW? You have to be kind close to the (mob/boss) to get the loot as well...
  18. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

the main reason people did the /players thing was increased xp. in d3 that wont be the case, so it would just make the game harder

19. yovargas

Sweet! :thumbup:

20. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

says the non hc player lol.