Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

OT: The SPF Path of Exile Thread

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by sevenOfDiamonds, Dec 22, 2011. | Replies: 195 | Views: 13496

1. sevenOfDiamonds

sevenOfDiamonds IncGamers Member

OT: The SPF Path of Exile Thread

With more SPFers getting into the closed beta and the coming of PoE patch 0.9.5 I thought it was time for the SPF to have its own PoE thread.

My PoE story starts about a week before patch 0.9.3 when I got a beta key from the guys at GGG.
    I managed a lvl 30 Dual Strike/Cleave sword Duelist before 0.9.3 emerged. In 0.9.3/0.9.4 I have a level 60 Dual Strike/Cleave sword Duelist which unfortunately too glass-cannony to manage Chaos, so he is more or less retired. Last week I started a Ranger - a pure dex bowie. Based on my previous experience I remembered to pave the way for evasion and life passives. She is now level 31 and great fun to play. The transistion from 0.9.2 to .3 to .4 is just remarkable. Many small (and some larger) changes has transformed the game from simplistic to very involving and well balanced.

I think the game definitely has potential to have as long a legacy as D2. Of course there are still rough edges to be smoothed out, but it general for such a young game I think it is outstanding. What are your thoughts on the game? Is this the game you have been waiting for?

To entice even more SPFers to join the ranks of Wraeclast I will give out a beta key to the SPFer with the most convincing beta key beg.
  2. coju

coju IncGamers Member

Re: OT: The SPF Path of Exile Thread

@omg: seven beat us too it! BllahH!

I play. Been waiting for it since around the beginning of the year. It just looks spectacular! I only wish that they'd make the characters more different, ya'know? As they can all be the exact same thing with different skins. I play HC on it, the highest lvl I have is 15. How are the ranks up in the 60's!?

Oh, giving away a key, eh? Ignore the top: I've been waiting for this game since '01. 1135, Tuesday. I remember it like it were 11 years ago: not at all.
  3. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned IncGamers Member

Can I beg for some items instead?
  4. sevenOfDiamonds

@omg: With the soft-wipe coming tomorrow I don't know useful 0.9.4 items will be.

I for one do not plan to play much in the legacy league. I will just roll another toon or two pure 0.9.5 during the christmas time.
    I didn't have lots of gosu items anyway. Found a +14% Cleave and a +11% Split Arrow gem yday - sad to see them vanishing into legacy. Have a 272-409 Mace with +18% IAS I will miss as well.

I think that with all the mod-related changes from 0.9.3 to 0.9.4 a wipe would be for the best anyway.

If you are going to play in the legacy league let me know what you are looking for and I'll have a look.
  5. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

What's PoE?
    Gieb?

Ohhh, Path of Exile... My next question:
    What is Path of Exile? I've been away for a week, so I assume something exciting happened?
  6. Gillsing

Gillsing IncGamers Member

I've been to the website before and I really like the look of the game. But surely you can't have such nice looking graphics without pixel shading, which would require me to have a video card. And if that is the case, I imagine that it'll be a long while until I can even try the game.
  7. Verno

Verno IncGamers Member

I am 0 for 2 on betas. I wanted a D3 beta, that didn't happen. And I haven't been picked for the POE beta yet, so you guys can tell how good I run. :)
  8. coju

coju IncGamers Member

@gillsing: I have no vid card. Just a i5 sandy bridge. It still looks glorious!

@Dry: It's been in the works for at least a year I'd say.
  9. Jason Maher

Jason Maher IncGamers Member

WTF is Path of Exile, and how do I get into the beta?
  10. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

It must be us Aussies. We are usually the last to get/hear things. I'm glad there's someone else who doesn't know about it.
  11. Jason Maher

Jason Maher IncGamers Member

It's being made by Kiwis. They would delight in Aussies being the last to know. ;)
  12. jjscud

jjscud IncGamers Member

PoE is pretty cool, unfortunately with a new job and trying to keep a different company I own going, any gaming time is terribly minimized.

More to the point, with D3, TL2 and PoE coming out (not to mention Grim Dawn, but that's a bit further out) I've been trying to figure out which will be the best follow up to D2 and in the end, I think our community is the biggest factor to me. Unfortunately that's a bit more difficult to predict how it will work out that the game play issues of the other options.
  13. YoungDbl

YoungDbl IncGamers Member

I checked out PoE and it seems like a pretty solid game. I like the way the skill gems work, seems very interesting as far
    as how much customization you can delve into. I signed up for a beta invite. Just going to sit back and wait patiently...
    Maybe soon I'll be playing with you guys.
  14. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned IncGamers Member

Path of Exile is a hack-n-slash RPG.

Classes: STR, DEX, INT, STR/DEX hybrid, STR/INT hybrid, DEX/INT hybrid. So for STR, you have some ugly barbarian like figure (Marauder). For STR/DEX, you have a fencer of some sort who's much less bulky than the pure STR class to reflect the DEX hybridization (Duelist). And so on.

Skills: quite possibly the most interesting thing about the game. "Skills" are actually found in your socketables (that is, the equivalent of D2's runes, gems, jewels). For example, one of my gem gives the Poison Arrow skill. To level up the skill, you socket the gem into your gear and it gains experience with you.

What do you by leveling up then? Here's a screenie I took. There's this really big spider web. Your points go into the nodes, and you basically travel from one node to the next. Each point gives you something (stats, attack speed, attack rating, evasion, all sorts of cool stuff). Eventually, if you follow the web long enough, you'll find some gg nodes (see lower portion).

As far as I know, according to their website's FAQ, PoE will be free to play when it comes out, but online only (no SP). There will be things you can only get with real money, but it's VANITY only (or so their site says).

To get a beta key, go to our OT forum and beg. That's what me and coju did. :p

[edit] And beta players also get beta keys to give out to their friends from time to time. If I get any, I'll be sending them out to you guys. <3

15. YoungDbl

YoungDbl IncGamers Member

Yeah if any body comes across an extra beta key let me know. I'll trade pgems lol. =)
  16. sevenOfDiamonds

Drop me a PM if you want a beta key

17. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

Wow. Just looked up PoE. And it looks extremely like D2. Including the Fire Bolt skill. Looks a little different though, but interesting. I may have to look it up again soon.
    My first thought was copyright issues, but maybe not. The health and mana bulb are pretty much identical too.
  18. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal

Is PoE only Beta? I've been hunting high and low for this after all the hype :loving:
  19. coju

coju IncGamers Member

closed beta. yes. no kittehs' allowed until you get a magic key.
  20. BobTheWarrior

BobTheWarrior IncGamers Member

I happened upon this game accidentally recently and after reading about it and watching a few vids it intrigued me enough to download it. I remembered this thread and thought it may be a good idea to necro it as PoE went Open Beta yesterday, meaning you can go and download and play it right now after you register, no beta key required.

Per their website, the game is "free to play and free to win, always", apparently you don't have to spend any cash to have the full experience. Be warned it's a 5.1GB download. My download finished last night but I haven't had a chance to do any more than fire it up to make sure it works. Not sure if there is a 'friends' function similar to bnet, if there is feel free to add me, BobTheWarrior.

So, anyone else here playing? Also, FYI, there is a PoE subforum under the Off-Topic forum here on incgamers, and PoE hosts their own forums which you'll get access to upon registering for the game if you'd like to read up on it before suffering the download.