Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OT: Help me build a new computer

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Oblivious, Aug 27, 2013. | Replies: 3 | Views: 749

1. Oblivious

Oblivious IncGamers Member

Hello there :)

I haven't shown my face around here for a while, but I've been keeping up with the news (ie lurking :p)

I don't really know if it's done around here anymore, but I'd like some help from all you PC enthusiasts to build a new computer from scratch.

So what I'll do with it is play some games, mind you nothing too fancy I'm mainly an indie, strategy and Diablo guy and these thnigs don't tend to require a lot of power. My budget is around 1400 € and that should be with a monitor (my only real wish is that it's 24 inch), keyboard, mouse etc.

I'd really like to know if you can recommend a German online store like for example www.one.de and give me your recommendation through that :)

With lots of greetings and shin kicks

Oblivious
  2. AJK

AJK IncGamers Member

There's nothing wrong with lurking.

Even indie games and strategy games are becoming more and more power-hungry, so I would recommend at least a medium-range graphics card. I bought my PC pre-built because I don't think it really matters if you should get brand X or brand Y components these days (and I'm too lazy to assemble my own). I selected my PC specifically for D3, so these were my requirements:

Memory: 8gigs. Games these days probably won't require more than 4, but other windows software running in the background will, so having moar memory is a good idea.

Graphics card: a silent mid-range card. I haven't got a clue about which brand is bestest/coolest these days, but I selected a PC with an at the time mid-range Nvidia card (560GTsomething) which scored lowish on noise tests in reviews. Once you start playing a graphically intensive game and the video card starts doing its thing, it'd better be silent.

Storage: a solid state drive for the operating system and/or games. Speeds up general windows usage and loading times. I have D3 installed on a regular harddrive and notice loading lags when I enter a zone for the first time. It's only for a few seconds, but if you ever plan on playing hardcore, those seconds will be free punches for the bad guys.

Other components didn't really matter to me, because I don't overclock and don't obsess about hardware details. As long as it works, it works.

So something like this is what I would buy if I wanted to upgrade now.
  3. ThunderCat

ThunderCat IncGamers Member

Let me start with the important bits first.

CPU: Go for the newest socket (1150). I've recently purchased a 4670k for about £200.

Motherboard: Anything with a Z87 chipset will do. If you want to be able to use SLI in the future, get a Z87X chipset (most support SLI). Or if you want to use AMD Graphics cards, Crossfire is quite common. I recently purchased an MSI Z87 board and I'm quite happy with it. That will set you back about £85. If you want to use another GFX card to run two more monitors, look for a motherboard that has two PCI-E slots.

Graphics card: I use an Nvidia GTX 570 GS (TI would suffice as well) and I'm having no trouble with the games I play. Usage never goes up more than 50%. They should be around £150 or so.

RAM: 8GB would be more than enough these days. Corsair do great memory and they've never let me down.

HDD: I'm not really sure about SSD / HDD hybrids, but it sounds like you don't really need the extra power of an SSD.

Another thing you might want to consider, depending on your budget, is the case. While a lot of people seem to think that is not a crucial part of a desktop, I say it is. By using a good Cooler Master case, I managed to get the temperature of my GFX card from 53 C on idle to 43 C.

I hope that helps. If you require more help, drop me a PM and I'd be more than happy to give you a hand.
  4. Oblivious

Oblivious IncGamers Member

Let me first say that I'm really thankful for the advice. It really helped me get up to date with the current developments on PC building. Seems like I do not really need that much of a powerhouse anymore in order to satisfy my needs nowadays. So I might invest in some quality middle range parts that will not set me back a small fortune. Seems like running the games I prefer nowadays is not so demanding. Many thanks again

Oblivious