Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OT: EA botches Sim City Launch

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Dacar92, Mar 8, 2013. | Replies: 51 | Views: 3351

1. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator; Clan Officer West

I am not sure how many of you guys plan to play Sim City. I wanted to play since I have played the series since Sim City 2000. But I didn't buy after I found out that there was an "always online" feature. EA claim it is not related to DRM (ie: Blizzard anyone?). No, it is so that everyone's city can be attached to everyone elses city. Anyway, I waited to buy the game and boy am I glad I did. Here are two Incgamer's articles worth checking out:

Sim City Launch not going exactly to plan

and

Amazon stops selling copies of Sim City

The official and fan forums are flooded with people complaining about not being able to play and EA community reps doing their job explaining that new servers are being added and what ever other placating they can do.

I see many parallels to the launch of Diablo 3. I just thought some of you might like to know about this. Blizzard is not the only company who is going this route and also not the only company claiming that always online is not meant as a form of DRM.

Is it? How many more always online games are you going to chance? Are you getting tired of this? Do you care? I am interested to see how the Diablo fan base see this new development with a completely different game.
  2. Ivan E

Ivan E IncGamers Member

It's kind of funny -- I was having the same discussion with a friend earlier -- where he said he was excited about SimCity but hadn't been following its development, whereas I'd just vaguely seen gaming press about how EA was EAing all over it. I doubt he buys it, now.

I think always online is pretty garbage, in general. However, I wanted to play this game beyond disliking that "feature," so I bought it anyway. But, in general, I think there are very few franchises that would make me buy an always-online game. As I'm not interested in multiplayer or "social" features, it's both superfluous and annoying to me -- any justification for it is already pointless to me because I would be hard pressed to care any less about any boons from online connectivity.
  3. Azzure

Azzure IncGamers Member

EA/Maxis have just set back the pro-DRM movement 5 years. No one will tolerate DRM after this saga.
  4. Lord_Jaroh

Lord_Jaroh IncGamers Member

5. Dacar92

6. RazeBarb

RazeBarb IncGamers Member

At first I wanted to pirate it because I heard only complaints about how small the cities/regions are compared to SC4.
    Now I don't even want to pirate this load of crap.

BEST DRM EVER!
  7. Cpdoom

Cpdoom IncGamers Member

All other things aside, being compared to EA is not a very flattering thing, at least not to me.

I don't care if it's online only though, as long as it works obviously. I can always break out some oldies but goldies if I lose my internet.
  8. Bad Ash

Bad Ash IncGamers Site Pal

The sad thing is is that I cant see this changing DRM. You think Blizzard cares at this point about the launch? Not at all. I wonder if they will be wishing for Error 37 when the launch the expansion pack if sales dont meet their expectations?
  9. bpward

bpward IncGamers Member

Shucks, I was really looking forward to trying out SimCity with my new joystick.
  10. themeros

themeros IncGamers Member

People tend to exaggerate about the "evil" of DRM because of the launches. Every game estabilizes after some time, the only problem is the launch week. That is what companies need to learn, to not frustrate their most avid fan base on launch week.

People bought the game knowing it was DRM, so they were "ok" with it. What screws everything up is when you wait so long for a game and then you can't play it. Then DRM becomes an "issue" for people. Even though I was angry at the Diablo 3 launch, I'm ok with DRM.

In the future every game will have online only requirements. No amount of petitions and "refunds" will make companies go back on that. What we need to do is to prepare ourselves and only play such games after the launch fiasco. Then we can all be happy.

Let's be real, companies will not buy extra hardware just for launch weeks. After some time, the number of players drops dramatically and estabilizes and all that hardware would just sit there. They buy based on what was projected as the "average amount" of players.
    What companies should do is rent extra hardware until the amount of players estabilizes.

I play on a PC at home with a fast network so I don't see DRM as a problem. I just want companies to be entirely prepared for launch weeks.
  11. Dacar92

BA, you're unfortunately right. The D3 launch is almost ancient history now, relatively speaking. People have short memories. Due to the number of games sold, when you look at revenue only, the game can be hailed as a success. However I think that in D3's case, much of fandom is unhappy with the game and when the expansion is released, all of us who still come to this forum will buy it. Plus many others will, too. Perhaps to give the game one last chance. In that aspect the expansion may also be hailed as a success. But my point is that due to the game's lack of staying power in the eyes of many, the expansion release will cause those old memories of launch week to come back to the fore and people will say "remember launch week......that better not happen again" I think it will haunt Blizz but not to the extent that is hurts sales very much.

I don't think people complain about the "evil" of DRM. I guess some do. But for the most part people understand the need for DRM. But some DRM is so overbearing in the way it works. Online DRM is kind of a pain because you can't play on the train, or the plane. Or in the car traveling to Gramdma's house. Simcity is the kind of game that is played in fits and starts. I played since Simcity 2000 and I sometimes played 10 minutes at a time, or you left it running to make some cash. The problem is that companies like Blizz and EA have denied that being online only is, in fact, DRM. Both simply said it is the way they want the game played. Or it will give a better player experience. or in the case of EA they said so that players can share resources and cities can be "connected" to each other. They like Blizzard, denied that it was a form of DRM.
    We all know different but it's still the fact that they feel like they have to deceive us. Why?

I hope you're wrong. But if you're not, then at least be honest with us and tell us that we need to play online to reduce piracy.
  12. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

I'm a long-time player of Sim City (C64 anyone), but I shall not be buying this because of the online-only component.

Recently, I had a MMO which I had played for nearly five years, be shut down. Everything I'd done, everything I'd planned, gone. I won't make that mistake again.

I won't get dragged into online only, only to find that I have increasingly poor connections, lousy support and then disconnection.

The piracy argument is a fallacy; if someone wants to pirate, then they will. Most of the SPF (who could easily pirate as we play off-line), own multiple copies of D2 and LoD.

I have absolutely zero issue paying for my software. A fair price for good work. But I won't give money on the hope that someone will maintain their servers past the period I wish to play. To me it's like renting a game. I won't do that.

Yep, still play some of the games on the C64 and A1200!
  13. mr punk

mr punk IncGamers Member

i partially disagree. cod: elite, bnet and EA origins,etc are not just games designed to sell you endless products, but services as well. more importantly, services which requires customer service and support. costs which would be staggering to a small company.
    EA really said that? lulz..that certainly is reminiscent of jay's remark about always online being the best game experience and why would anyone want it any other way.
  14. Dacar92

This is the best reason I have seen for not playing an online only game. After all the time you put into a game, the owner of the servers decides it's not worth the cost of maintaining the servers any longer and poof, you're done. I also dislike being told I cannot play a game any longer. I can still play Simcity 2000 if I wanted or Simcity 4. But will I be able to play the new Simcity in 10 years?

Yes they did. I think I read it in one of the articles I linked in the OP or perhaps on their forums.
  15. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

That's pretty ****ed up. The decent thing to do would be to release an offline patch and then let players download their characters. Of course, that doesn't make any money.

More on-topic: what bothers me most is that they insist upon lying. We know that online only is for DRM, they know online only is for DRM. Why can't they just say it? It's not that big of a deal and we already know.

Well, when I get tired of D3, it's back to Skyrim, Fallout, D2, and Torchlight 2 for me.
  16. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Actually, they were offered money for the intellectual property by several parties. They refused to return those calls, but released a statement that they had 'investigated all avenues'. O'rly. Mind you, that's the fifth game they've closed and moth-balled the intellectual property. Apparently keeping a profitable game alive isn't in their business model.

The kicker was they closed down this family-orientated game and one of their upcoming titles seems to be based around characters who look 13, are dressed like hookers and walk like strippers. Guess that's the big market nowadays ...

Well I wonder when their other games (Aion and Lineage2 included) will be closed too.

And disengaging rant mode on that topic. :)

I was watching a Let's Play on YouTube for Sim City and while it has some nice quality of life features, that's about it. One of the Let's Plays was done by a guy who plays on a Minecraft server. A bunch of them started up on SC at the same time. At least one has *never* managed to connect to the servers.

For those of you who like Minecraft, you might find this video interesting. It's the latest version of Sim City but made in Minecraft. The video is only just over a minute long but you may like it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnZvOUvxRws
  17. sneakytails

sneakytails IncGamers Member

The very notion of security in a online only game is a fallacy. Sony was hacked and I have a close family member whos D3 Hardcore wizzard was completely cleaned out by hackers. The hackers friends are still on the friends list. Throw in the gold bots and we have a winner here!

Now with WARDEN and you get legit players getting banned, I myself was banned and that same family member is also currently banned from the RMAH for crafting and selling legit hand crossbows. Legit players who have to beg for the right to play the game they paid for again.

Hackers use the INTERNET to ply their trade, by keeping us all in the same boat with them that only leaves us exposed to their exploits.

Saying that security and Online only requirements are essential for us to have a positive experience with a game is pure bunk.

So to those who argued with me before release about how d3 would be hack and bot free, you were wrong along with blizzard.

The most secure, lag free and portable gaming experience for me is still single player D2.
  18. BryanM

BryanM IncGamers Member

Whatever. Number 1 selling game of the quarter. Gamers are the worst people. The worst.
  19. sneakytails

sneakytails IncGamers Member

Its simple.

D3 is the titanic, they know where they are headed (sort of), they know where the icebergs are (finally), they simply have to avoid them (hopefully).

Nothing is unsinkable. Nothing.
  20. Dacar92

They're selling games based on reputation. Not because everyone loves the new iteration.

The only reason D3 and even Simcity do so well is because of past games that were successful.

Now tell that to Blizz or EA nd you'll get a different reason/answer.