Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OT: anyone interested in free personal training?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by GooberGrape, Jan 2, 2013. | Replies: 311 | Views: 23644

1. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

For the past six years, health and fitness has gone from a hobby to an obsession of mine. After losing over 50 pounds and lowering my cholesterol and blood pressure into the "good" range, I decided to start helping others.

In 2012 I helped several friends meet their health and fitness goals (photos and references available):
    - One girl lost 40 pounds and 12 inches off her waist without counting calories. The same girl cured her bulimia and alcoholism.
    - Another got down to a size double-zero after having her first child. The same girl cured her hypoglycemia and ADHD.
    - Another cured her extreme social anxiety and PTSD as confirmed by regular psychiatric examinations. She also cured her cystic acne.
    - Another doubled her maximal strength and got rid of nagging pain in her hips and shoulders that was affecting her gait.

I would like to keep helping people in 2013. I'm not a business or a professional, just a person who's passionate and knowledgeable. Plus, I'm offering this advice for free via the magic of the internet and text messaging!

If anyone's interested in this sort of thing, let me know. Mods if this is inappropriate for this board, feel free to take it down.

2. Dazliare

Dazliare IncGamers Member

I could get in on this.

In the last year I lost a little over 60 pounds. I'm up about 7 right from an injury and cafeteria food, but I got my injury all figured out. I guess my question would be;

If I want to lose more weight, how much should I eat if I run twice a week, rock climb twice a week, lift three times a week, and walk ~2 miles a day?

3. GooberGrape

First off, congratulations! That's a huge accomplishment, and it looks like you've made a successful transition into an active lifestyle.

To answer your question...especially at your level having already lost a ton of weight, it's not usually quantity of food that matters, but quality. I recommend keeping a written or photo food log for a week or so, get a good idea of what and when you eat. If you have an iPhone I recommend EatWit, it's the easiest one I've found and it's free.

4. corax

corax IncGamers Member

i'd definetly be interested.
    Lost about 20kgs so far (on the cusp of breaking the 100kg barrier) with the intention of joining the police force.
    My big demon is carbs and my food intake the last few months (and alcohol) has been shocking, cut the alcohol out already and working on the food, but delicious alternatives to carbs is my biggest bane in eating healthy.
    i kung/wrestle twice a week. do weights 1/2 times a week at a mates (combo weights, martial arts, arnis) ride to work most days plus some extra misc exercise most days like kettlebells and dog walks.
    A structured fitness plan would probably also be a good idea if you'd be willing to give me a hand

5. Morathi

Morathi IncGamers Member

Being a bodybuilder myself i can chip in on some advice.

If you want to lose weight the first thing you need to do is find your TDEE, or total daily energy expenditure. Once calculated, then you deduct about 500 calories from that and use that as a starting point for your daily caloric needs. So for example say your TDEE comes to 2500 calories, you then use 2000 as a starting point if you wish to lose about 1lb of fat a week.

You want to make sure that you have around 1g of protein per lb of weight, 0.4g of fat per lb of weight and the fill the rest with carbs.

6. GooberGrape

One of the best parts about training multiple people is stealing from their cookbooks. I have low carb recipes for spaghetti, pizza, cheesecake, tacos, three different types of pie...basically if you can imagine it, there's a way to make it healthy for you. But you may not need a "low carb" approach, but rather a "timed carb" approach.

I recommend doing the same as Daz, keep a food log for a week so you know what you eat and when. The easiest way is to just take a picture with your phone, or write it in a notepad. No lying, and no excuses! If you eat a cake, it goes in the food log. Eventually you will find that honesty is the only thing that really fixes your mind on a goal.

7. Dazliare

Corax - Do you live near a real gym? If so, check out Starting Strength. The book is like 25USD, and has all the info you could ever want to know about getting stronger and in better shape. Just don't read the nutrition section hahaha.

EDIT:

Morathi - I know all that, but thanks :) That's how I lost the first 60#, but I was never as active as I am now, and I'm struggling to find the line between "I need this food" and "I'm a former fat guy with the appetite of a giraffe", so it's hard for me to judge how much I should really be eating.

8. corax

corax IncGamers Member

i do live near a gym but find they all lack the atmosphere I desire to train. so i train better solo.
    just got back from my first ever rock climbing. was fun/ow

9. GooberGrape

It's easy to get overwhelmed with tactics and tricks. Like Morathi, I base my decisions on hard data and measurements.

The food log will do two things for you:
    1. Measure your food intake, quality, and timing.
    2. Test your discipline and obedience to a plan.

I'll be honest. This simple one-week food log has over 90% dropout rate. Consider this like a D2 tournament, where the rules are more restrictive, but the potential for personal glory is much greater. Will you succeed where so many others failed?

"We’ll meet when the noise of the battle is done, when one side has lost and the other has won." -Macbeth

10. FredOfErik

FredOfErik IncGamers Member

Oooh!

I'm not looking to lose weight or anything but I would be very interested if you could share some low/none carb recipes with me. My roommate just went on a diet, and I have no idea what to cook (I don't wanna cook for just me).

11. GooberGrape

Practice "Safe Six" ;)

1. Chicken
    2. Beef
    3. Whole eggs
    4. Spinach
    5. Broccoli
    6. Olive oil

For those six items, you can basically eat infinite amounts and still be considered "low carb". Everything else you need to read the label. I'll look up actual recipes later when I have more time.

12. Korlic

Korlic IncGamers Member

Ha ha that is basically what I always eat, minus the spinach and broccoli ;)

13. FredOfErik

Yeah.. My knowledge on what is and isn't low carb is okay, but I'm seriously lacking some inspiration. Tonight he's cooking and he says he's making "soup" but actually he has just boiled some onions, leek and plain chicken in water. I'm not going to be able to eat stuff like that for two entire months :p

14. SunsetVista

SunsetVista IncGamers Member

The biggest obstacle to my weight loss plans so far has been my craving for salty things. Sweet things are no problem. But I'd really like a recipe for something salty and satisfying that isn't too terrible for me.

15. Dazliare

Sunset - it's infinitely easier to get salt than sugar without the extra calories. Even table salt works, and has just about zero calories in it, whereas every teaspoon of sugar has 15. You can add salt to just about anything, just make sure you drink enough water.

16. GooberGrape

I always eat some variation of the following:

Breakfast: Omelet with ham, cheese, onions and peppers. Use whole eggs!
    Lunch: Chicken stir fry with asian vegetables, soy sauce and spicy sriracha.
    Dinner: Beef taco salad with spinach, sour cream, cheese and jalapenos.
    Snack: String cheese, summer sausage, mixed nuts, in-season vegetables.

I eat a ton of salt and I don't even care. My blood pressure has gone DOWN since I started eating this way. Just remember to drink like a gallon of water a day, not just diet soda, real actual clear water.

If you've tried everything, and your creation still tastes awful, remember...When all else fails, add bacon.

17. FredOfErik

The taco salad is a great idea. Since it's not my diet dinner is the only meal I really care about. Also, bacon.

Thanks a bunch, and feel free to add more suggestions!

18. SunsetVista

SunsetVista IncGamers Member

It's been a long time since I tried omelets. Good idea! I already do vegetable stir fry a lot, the soy sauce is good. I think I might try brown rice with it for more fiber.

19. GooberGrape

I'm going to add a signup sheet for those people who want a personalized consultation.

Warning: I offer friendly advice only, I am not a health professional. Please check with a real doctor before embarking on any diet or exercise regimen.

Code:
    [FONT=courier new]Forum Name         Goal                             Start         End
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    GooberGrape        Visible Abs                      1/3/13     5/3/13

[/FONT]

20. FredOfErik

Code:
    [FONT=courier new]Forum Name         Goal                             Start         End
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    GooberGrape        Visible Abs                      1/3/13     5/3/13
    FoE                No more water with leek/onion    1/3/13     1/4/13
    [/FONT]
    :p

Feel free to delete me again.