Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Optical Mice

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by TakeMyCrabs, Apr 5, 2007. | Replies: 46 | Views: 1500

1. TakeMyCrabs

TakeMyCrabs IncGamers Member

Optical Mice

I had several optical mice throughout the years. After a little over a year, the left-clicker always get shoddy. It makes the clicking sound, but it doesn't register. I have to click really hard for it to count, and as a result, that sometimes registers as a double-click and it's really annoying. I believe this is a mechanical problem with the mouse.

Any way to fix this without getting a new mouse? Anyone else have this problem?
  2. rare

rare IncGamers Member

Mine has a similar problem with the left mouse button; but mine instead randomly registers 1 click as two.

It's very annoying to click on things and have them being highlighted, opened, unselected, opened twice....

sigh.
  3. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Wash your hands before you use your mouse, you filthy-fingered louts!
  4. TakeMyCrabs

The highlighting is the worst. It takes at least three tries to highlight a phrase in full.

Any possible solutions?

5. rare

rare IncGamers Member

Well last time I opened up my mouse I managed to fix the mousewheel, but I did notice that the clicking mechanism was relatively simple...it was literally the plastic button pressing down on these two tiny little sticks on each side (2 for left-click, 2 for right-click)

Aside from maybe opening up the little area where those 2 tiny sticks go in and see if theyre bent or jammed up...I'd suggest a new one.
  6. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

if you have soldering tools you can swap the microswitches for the left and right buttons, if you dont mind your right button acting the way your right button does
  7. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

How much is a new mouse? Sheesh.
  8. bladesyz

bladesyz IncGamers Member

I've had the same problem as well, and worse, one of them is on a mouse that i've bought only 3 months ago as part of a wireless desktop set. That really pisses me off.
  9. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

I've often seen 'orb' units running as high as $600 USD, and those are similar pointing devices. The last gamer version I knew of, the SpaceOrb 360, runs between 100-200, if you can find one.

And yes, I want one.

10. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Pay more than $20 and you're a sucker.
  11. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

I paid $45 for my Trackman Marble nearly 8 years ago and it's still working just fine. It gets 40 hours a week of heavy use. I ran some basic numbers and it takes close to 10,000 clicks per day.

12. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

And Kensington trackballs always seem to run about $100. But I know I'm clouding the issue by comparing professional equipment with consumer items.

13. Jigga-Scrooge

Jigga-Scrooge IncGamers Member

i took my mouse apart once. its just a tiny rectangular piece of plastic that touches a little button. the rectangle just got wore down and wasnt reaching the button. i just put a little dab of liquid nail on it to refill the missing part and it worked again.
  14. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

Fixed that for ya.

This is mine. Great mouse. Has some extraneous buttons, but unlike most mice they aren't easy to accidentally hit.

15. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

Are they really that much better? I have carpal tunnel syndrome. I need a mouse that works well with that. The Logitech Trackman Marble works just fine but I'm always looking for something better

16. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Kensington? They're not "better", but they're far sturdier. I wore out two other "cue ball" trackball devices.

17. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

I'll keep that in mind for the eventual failure of my mouse.
  18. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

I have Logitech MX 500 optical mouse that I've owned for 3 (?) years now, and it works as good now as it did when I first bought it...

Maybe you've just had some bad luck, man.

You could try blowing out the dust with an air compressor or something though.
  19. TakeMyCrabs

I had a Kensington optical mouse first (not wireless, $20). Then I had a wireless optical microsoft mouse ($40). Now my gf got me a logitech wireless optical mouse ($40) and they have all encountered the same problem. I use my computer for much more than 40 hours a week because it's part of my major and because I'm a gamer.

I did try to take one of the mice I had earlier apart. Problem is, when I put it together, it worked even worse than before.
  20. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

my hp mouse that came with my computer back in 2001 is still working fine for clicking but sometimes the cursor just randomly moves toward the left of the screen when i'm not moving the mouse.