Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Online community + few beginner questions

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Var, Oct 31, 2012. | Replies: 31 | Views: 4933

1. Var

Var IncGamers Member

Hey everyone. I've just bought Diablo 2 a few days ago (played it at a friend's house and wondered why I never have), and I'm starting to get hooked. After doing a bit of research online, I started to realize that the complexity for this game online is massive - not something I'd expect from a 2000 title. A 100+ hour single player title is mind blowing. I started making a blizzard sorceress, currently level 17 (meh).

I have a few questions/concerns about the game and community.

To start, I ask: is there much of an active online presence any more? This seems like a game that would be so much more fun if played with friends instead of alone. I checked on b.net open, but there was hardly anyone online. Do most people just play ladder/closed, or is the community dying/dead?

I also noticed that there isn't a lot of help for beginners to the game - not so much a hatred of noobs as an assumption of knowledge. I had to spend a while searching for a game/build guide that didn't keep using abbreviations and god-tier weapons that meant nothing to me.

My concern is that, as a new player, even if the community is well and alive, I won't even be able to find people to play with. Plus, in regards to the gear, it seems some classes (blizzard sorc, ex.) are severely handicapped without stat-boosting armor and weapons.

Along with that, I'm pretty oblivious to hardcore mode, hell mode, magic finding, PVP, etc. This is perhaps because I haven't seen any online gameplay for this game.

So, my questions are: Is online still alive? Should I make a ladder/b.net closed character? Will I be able to find others to play with (and how)? How should I get by without having any money/items? And finally, can you give a rundown of general online stuff I should know?

Excuse the long first post. I appreciate the read + help!
  2. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

1. The playerbase has been cut down significantly since d3 was released.
    But there are active players left, and there's even players returning to d2, d3 was a failure for many.

Open Battle.net is for those who likes to play with their singleplayer characters with others. But Ive found that most are edited chars, highly cheated.

You should start new when the next ladder begins, which should be tuesday next week. (If the info is correct there is)

Which realm you choose, is up to you. But Ill play on the European Softcore Ladder (EUSCL)

2. The best way to learn the game is to play it, but if you want a boost in knowledge, me and many others on this forum is more then willing to help!

3. The game can be completed with selffound items, so I wouldnt bother with endgame gear until youve learned more about the game.

4. Id search for the "Arreat Summit" using google. Thats a site with tons of info regarding d2!

And come back here, and Ill try to answer all your questions!! :)
    Theres just to much to know about this game, so my post would be alot longer then Ive time for today! Ask away!

Peace
  3. Var

Var IncGamers Member

Thanks for the quick reply!

Starting anew with the ladder seems to be the way to go. I ask- if a new ladder means no old items/money, how do people create classes that require special gear? Or do they have to create multiple ladder characters to start the MFing process over again?

On a similar note, are there any specific builds you might recommend for a noob, who likely won't have the time to put into multiple high-leveled characters? By noob I don't mean "easy", but not requiring elaborate knowledge or connections. Most importantly, I don't want a "learning class" that I'll end up ditching - I have a good enough feel for the core game, just not the specifics. Again I get the feeling a blizz-sorc won't work too well without proper equipment.

Appreciate it once more!
  4. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

I always create a sorc as a first char (except once, when I tried Paladin..) for mf-ing. (This will be my 7th ladder iirc)

I usually start with Fire as main element, and then "respecc" (quest reward for the first quest in act1) once I hit lvl 30.
    With my skillpoints and stats reset, I can put them they way I want then!
    Now I can pick the skill Frozen Orb, which requires only a few points in synergies to be powerful, giving me the opportunity to get points in the Meteor skill.

Frozen Orb chills all my enemies, and the slow (but powerful) meteor skill will be easy to aim due to that.

Conclusion, 2 elements is the way to go for sorceresses. In Hell difficulty some enemies will have at least 1 immunitiy. So having 2 different damage types is vital.

Heres a few good tips for a beginning sorc! Doesnt matter which skills you use!

1. Dont spread your skills to much! Bet for one element until you reach Nightmare.

2. Always get 1 point in Static Field! The best skill ever vs Act Bosses! (1 point is enough!)

3. Always get 1 point in Warmth (for basic mana regen) and 1 point in a cold armor, Frozen Armor or Shiver Armor.

4. Teleport. 1 point is enough.

5. Get a Act 2 Mercenary!!
    Save every rune you find, and when you have Ral+Tir+Tal+Sol runes, place them in that order in a Non-Magical Polearm(Be sure to check which weapon class it is by reading its stats screen). That will give you this runeword:

Insight
    Polearm, Staff
    Required Level: 27

Ral + Tir + Tal + Sol

Level 12-17 Meditation Aura When Equipped
    +35% Faster Cast Rate
    +200-260% Enhanced damage
    +9 to Minimum Damage
    180-250% Bonus to Attack Rating
    Adds 5-30 Fire Damage
    Adds 75 Poison Damage Over 5 Seconds
    +1-6 to Critical Strike
    +5 to All Attributes
    +2 to Mana after each Kill
    Better Chance of Getting Magic Items 23%

Which will be of great assistance due to the Meditation Aura, which will increase your mana regeneration ALOT! Give this weapon to your mercenary!

If you want suggestions about stat contribution and skills for a Frozen Orb + Meteor build, by level. Just ask!
  5. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

Heres 2 sites Ive used to check things d2 related:

www.d2skills.com - To try out new builds, theoretically.
    www.diablo3x.dk - A danish site that has very nice lists of Set items/Unique items and runewords. (Even basic items)

Peace
  6. Var

Var IncGamers Member

Useful links, thanks. I guess I shouldn't be selling my crappy runes to the store anymore.

Only two questions remain: 1) To what areas should I allocate my stats with the Meteorb build, and 2) How can I get in contact with people in my ladder (US east)? Also I've seen hardcore and softcore thrown around.. can you quickly explain or give a link talking about the ladder system?
  7. Ladvarian

Ladvarian IncGamers Member

Welcome to the forums and Diablo

1) There are several guides in the Sorceress Forum. Sasja's MeteOrb guide is a popular one. However there are others in this link as well.

2) There is the Player Matchup Forum if you want find people to play with on b.net. If you want to play Single Player still there is the Single Player Forum that you can check out. There they play TCP/IP games in which one hosts and others join. It is also very much against open b.net for the reasons Archone gave. Be sure to read the SPF Rules and follow them if you come to the SPF. I suggest looking at both SPF and b.net before making a final decision. Good luck with your characters.

3) Hardcore and Softcore are essentially the same game with one BIG difference. That being that if you play on Hard core mode you only have one life. Once your character dies you will be unable to play them anymore. In Softcore you are able to die as many times as you want. The only penalty is in Nightmare and Hell mode, which are more difficult versions of Normal, in which each time you die you loose some of the experience you gained toward the next level. However, you never de-level through this penalty.

4) Ladder I'm going to let the link explain Ladder as I play SP and have not played in a long time.
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  8. Var

Var IncGamers Member

I didn't notice the other sections of the forums, thanks! Sasja's guide was very helpful and extensive. Archone, can you summarize your general strategy for skill point distribution for your meteorb, on a new ladder? Do you go for 70 mana points? Do you go for max block or max vitality? I've seen different sources recommending different things, and I can't tell which is best.
  9. juju

juju IncGamers Member

fcr breakpoints! http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Breakpoints (its how fast your sorc will cast spell)

dont mix ias/fcr/fhr http://diablo2.ingame.de/tips/calcs/weaponspeed.php?lang=english weapon speed calculator (but dont get into this if you will play sorc)

In ladder wich starts 7.11.2012 every one will start with lvl 1char and with no items! I think there will be alot more players in next ladder to play with!

This list will help you alot http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Abbreviations_and_Acronyms :p

If you have any questions ask here!
  10. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

Never seen such a high density of knowledge in the same thread! And its only 1 page atm! :)

Ill share my own strategy, which Ive found worked for me, and which Ill be using on my first char next week!

As you start leveling you character from level 1, aim to get the essential skills asap!

1 point in these skills:

Warmth - Immediatly
    Static Field - Just before Andariel (Act 1 Boss)
    Telekinesis - at lvl 17
    Teleport - at lvl 18
    Frozen Armor - anytime

The remaining points in Firebolt, or FireBall if you are lvl 12+

Continue to lvl you Firebolt/Ball until you reach lvl 30. By then its time to respecc!! (Save the Act1 Quest 1 reward for this!!)

Heres how what to choose:

*Pre required skills = 1p only skills
    Fire Spells:

*Firebolt - 1p
    *Fireball - 1p
    Warmth - 1p
    *Inferno - 1p
    *Blaze - 1p
    *Firewall - 1p
    METEOR - 1p (for now)
    FIRE MASTERY - 1p (for now)

Cold Spells:

Frozen Armor - 1p
    *Ice Bolt - 1p
    *Ice Blast - 1p
    *Glacial Spike - 1p
    *Frost Nova - 1p
    *Blizzard - 1p
    FROZEN ORB - 1p (for now)
    COLD MASTERY - 1p (for now)

Lightning Spells:

Static Field - 1p
    *Telekinesis - 1p
    Teleport - 1p

Thats 19 skill points, and if youve done Act1 Q1+ Act2 Q2+ Act4 Q1 at lvl 30, youll have 33 in total = 14 skill points to put in either Meteor or Frozen Orb(FO).
    Id max FO first. But you do as you wish, you dont want to leave Normal Difficulty until youre at least! lvl 40-45.

Theres all the skills a Sorc may need!
    The only thing to do now is to decide which skill to max first!

At lvl 1 in all skills, the meteor dmg will do ~130 average dmg on hit (+minor dmg/sec), and each bolt from FO ~42dmg. (FO always seem to do little dmg by reading the tooltip. It does ALOT more dmg than you might think though.)

Hope that helped!

Peac
  11. Var

Var IncGamers Member

I appreciate the very warm welcome from all - a good omen! Another question:

(Archone), where do you put your stat points in your Meteorb sorc? Like, Vitality, Energy, Strength, Dexterity. The two main concerns are 1) Do I need to level energy because I have no gear?, and 2) Would it be better to go max block or high HP?

Or, does it not matter because once you get high enough leveled and get good enough armor, you can respec with that special boss dust thing, and fix any errors you might have made?
  12. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

Im glad to help! :D

Id like to put an extra 10-20 str early on to wear the first armors. Sorcs starts with 10str... With 30str she can wear the Breastplate, and with 40 something, iirc, the Kite Shield.

Id stop putting into energy once Ive hit 50-75 something. Depending on whether you have some gear giving +mana (or Sapphires socketed into helm/armor).
    Once you get the Insight for your merc, 50 energy is enough without +mana on gear, imo.

Vitality. Youll need to feel how much youll need in the beginning. Running low on stamina all the time? Dying? Pick some vita!
    Its up to you, how you prefer to play. It differs from char to char for me too, depending on the stuff I find.

NOTHING IN DEX!! Not the until youre higher lvl, imo.

Once youve got your char decently geared in late normal difficulty, use all your stats for Vitality. Sorcs got pretty low life!

I prefer high hp with sorcs, simply because I always use a Spirit Monarch. Which has a pretty crappy %block. (42% with sorcs)
    Which means I need like 300 dex to get 75% block... Ill just stick to the minor block I get!

If you however, for some reason, you want to get max block with a sorc. Youll need a shield with as high block% you can possibly find. And which still has stats thats good for sorceresses!
  13. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

Heres a few examples:

Spirit Ward
    Ward
    [​IMG]
    Shield Class
    Defence: 393.3-478.8
    Pa Chance To Block: 74-75%
    Am, As, Ba Chance To Block: 69-75%
    Dr, So, Ne Chance To Block: 64-74%
    Required Strength: 185
    Smite Damage: 11-35
    Required Level: 68

5% Chance to Cast Level 8 Fade when Struck
    +25% Faster Block Rate
    Increased Chance of Blocking 20-30%
    +130-180% Enhanced Defense
    +30-40% All Resistances
    +6-11 Cold Absorb

Stormshield
    Monarch
    [​IMG]
    Shield Class
    Defence: 133-148
    Pa Chance To Block: 75%
    Am, As, Ba Chance To Block: 72%
    Dr, So, Ne Chance To Block: 67%
    Required Strength: 156
    Smite Damage: 12-34
    Required Level: 73

Indestructible
    +35% Faster Block Rate
    Increased Chance of Blocking 25%
    +3.75-371.25 Defense (Based on Character Level)
    +30 to Strength
    +60% Cold Resist
    +25% Lightning Resist
    Damage Reduced by 35%
    Attacker Takes Lightning Damage of 10

Visceratuant
    Defender
    [​IMG]
    Shield Class
    Defence: 100-125
    Pa Chance To Block: 70%
    Am, As, Ba Chance To Block: 65%
    Dr, So, Ne Chance To Block: 60%
    Durability: 68
    Required Strength: 38
    Smite Damage: 8-12
    Required Level: 28

+1 to Sorceress skill levels
    +30% Faster Block Rate
    Increased Chance of Blocking 30%
    +100-150% Enhanced Defense
    Attacker Takes Lightning Damage of 10

Moser's Blessed Circle
    Round Shield
    [​IMG]
    Shield Class
    Defence: 156.8-179.2
    Pa Chance To Block: 67%
    Am, As, Ba Chance To Block: 62%
    Dr, So, Ne Chance To Block: 57%
    Durability: 64
    Required Strength: 53
    Smite Damage: 7-14
    Required Level: 31

+30% Faster Block Rate
    Increased Chance of Blocking 25%
    +180-220% Enhanced Defense
    +25% All Resistances
    Socked (2)
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  14. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

Explanation to the shields follows:

1.)
    Spirit Ward.

Best possible block, up to 74%.
    With ~175 dex at lvl 80, youll have 75% block chance.
    (In case you didnt know. Youll need alot of dex to actually get high block%. But the shields base block helps ALOT)(Youll also need more dex the higher lvl you have, so at lower lvls less dex is required)

It also has nice Allres, can be socketed with Larzuks Quest. And has a chance to cast lvl 8! fade. (=8% damage reduction(physical dmg) and 50Allres. This is a "buff" = It will make you transparent and expires after a few minutes.)

This shields has a very high str req though, so some careful planning is needed if you want to use this shield!

2.)
    Stormshield.

A very popular shield amongst many different classes!
    High block chance, decent resists. (Can be socketed with a Perfect Diamond for better resistances(Larzuk quest again))

And the famous 35% dr!!!! Highest ingame! (50% dr is the cap btw)

The +30str is nice aswell if youre gonna wear anything heavier then this shield.. But I doubt it, this one needs 156str to be equipped.

3.)
    Visceratuant.

A classic shield for sorcs, not very rare, neither expensive. A nice defensive item, with +1sorc skills.
    60% block and only 38 str! Low lvl req too!

4.)
    Mosers Blessed Circle.

My favorite non elite unique!!
    I use this for my amazons, for a nice block and Resists.

The 2 sockets can be used for either Resistance, faster block rate, Rainbow Facets or Dmg reduction(Ber runes).

Cheap and effective!

Peace and looove!
  15. Var

Var IncGamers Member

Awesome advice! I was playing some more single player with a friend today and got to Diablo in act IV (normal). I am stoked to start on the new ladder Tuesday

Another set of questions.. hopefully these will be less nooby and useful for other beginners to know:

1) By chance I've stumbled on a few tips and tricks that really make the game easier - and thus more fun. For example, holding shift at a vendor and buying potions fills your belt... using the f keys makes switching spells easy... holding shift and potting feeds your merc... etc. I was wondering if there was any list of tips/tricks like this so I can make sure I know all of them. I did a quick search on that one diablo wiki but to no avail.

2) I noticed a few cool runewords that might work with a 20's/30's sorc (Namely, Leaf and Stealth), and was wondering if these were viable, or if it'd be better just to save up for Insight and better runewords. Continuing this thought, should one try to make runeword weapons and armor as often as possible, or do you really need to save them?

3) For this meteorb sorc, will you be using an act 2 Normal or Nightmare merc? Offensive or defensive?

4) Is there a recommended level to start MFing? I tried to MF Mephitso a few times but he hits very hard. The problem is, some of my gear is pretty bad (and I expect the same when I start the ladder).

5) Continuing the previous thought, what's the general strategy for leveling, and general strategy for getting loot? My guess is that just killing everything isn't the most efficient - I bet bosses are the best for getting gear/money, and certain areas are best for xp. Can you help inform me of such bosses and areas (for Meteorb at least).

Thanks! :)
  16. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

1.)
    There sure must be some hints I can give you here.. But I cant come up with anything atm! Ill let you know if I remember something.

2.)
    I started a fresh sorc (Singleplayer) 2 days ago, and Im at Baal Nrml. At lvl 45. MeteOrb ofc.
    I meant to make a leaf, but I found a Sorc Only Wand with +2FireBall/+2Warmth/+89mana/+20fcr (which is damn good for my lvl!) so I also made an Ancient Pledge in a 3socket Kite Shield. (Gives some resistances)

I also made a Stealth in a Chainmail. I love that rw!! Frw/fcr/fhr.. Some manaregen too..

Id only save the runes that are more rare, like Lem+ for later.

3.)
    Im using a Prayer merc, and once Ive got him an Insight, the prayer skill will be even more powerful. Due to the Meditation aura giving synergy to his natural Prayer aura.

4.)
    I start mfing once I hit end of Nightmare, when I can do Baalruns (Or diaruns) and get to lvl ~70.
    Then Id go for Andariel+Countess(If you need some runes for some cheap runeword), Travincal(For gold and mf) and Mephisto.

5.)
    Leveling can be hard to do effeciantly, and I only do all quests with my first ladder char. The second and beyond, I rush. Heres how I do it.

Once my Sorc hits Hell Act5 and can kill the Ancients there, Ill rush my 2nd char.(A hammerdin I think!)
    I use a free version of "Sandboxie" to be able to start up a second instance of D2.
    This requires a second D2+LoD key aswell..
    (You can ask someone to rush you otherwise)

The char being "rushed" creates a game.
    Join with the "rusher", and party.

Now just stand in the town while you do all quests, sometimes you need to speak to some NPC in town, with the rushed char. Sometimes youll need a tp to get a quest item..etc.. etc..

Quests you need done:

Act1 - Andariel Killed
    Act2- Quest 2-6 (Collect staff+amulet(Q2). Be close to the summoner(Q5) to get the Q done.)
    Act3- Quest 5+6
    Note* You can lend him/her your cube in act2. The high council in Travincal drops the cube if someone doesnt have it.
    Note2* You dont need the parts for the Quest-Flail, you just need to kill the Council and have the Waypoint to Durance of Hate lvl 3.
    Act4 - Kill Diablo.
    Note3* His Ring of Fire spell can easily kill a lvl 1 rushed character, so hide behind a nische just above the star, and you cant be hit.

This will get you to act5.
    Now youll want at least level 24 before killing the Ancients. Which in turn is required to kill baal and get to Nightmare.
    Only lvl 20 is required, but youll want lvl 25 to get xp for baalruns.

Heres how I get from lvl 1 to 24!

1-14
    Join some public Tristram Runs.(This requires the quest 3 act1 to be completed by the game creator.)
    You get very good xp if you just stay close.

14-21
    Tombruns. Kill everything in all the tombs in the Canyon of the Magi.

21-24
    Either keep doing Tombruns, or clear the way between the Act4 River of Flame wp and Diablo.

You can also just quest some in act5, youll want Q1+Q2+Q3 done aswell.

For mfing, Id prefer the unique monsters or Act bosses.

But there are some areas, which has the best arealvl, that can drop the best loot in the game.
    Those are called lvl85 areas, and a few are:

Act1 - "The Pit" jsut before the monastery, a cave.
    Act2- "The ancient tunnels" Lost City dungeon.

Peace
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  17. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

Heres 2 good quotes you dont want to miss:

+

18. gooback

gooback IncGamers Member

an easy skill shifting trick is the f1-f12 keys. If you click on the skill icon in the bottom right or bottom left of your screen, and hover over a particular skill, then hit one of the keys, it binds it. Say I hover over fireball and hit f1, then hover over teleport and hit f2, I can switch between teleporting and fireballing with 1 key stroke. This is great late game when you want to cast enchant (on your mercenary) frozen armor, teleport, fireball, meteor, frozen orb and can do it all with the keyboard. Also, the best branch of sorceress at low gear is the cold branch. Despite the fact that the damage appears low, cold mastery will set all non immune monsters resistance up to -100%. Say a monster has 75% resistance to all elements. I fireball does lets say 10k damage, and an ice blast does 2.5k. The fireball looks way better, but the monster resists 75% of it and only takes 2.5k damage. For the ice blast, with a high level of cold mastery, the monsters resistance is lowered all the way to -100%, and actually takes 5k damage, twice as much as the fireball. Until you can afford lots of resistance lowering equipment (expensive), cold sorcs are the best killers (except for cold immune monsters :(...)
  19. Var

Var IncGamers Member

Thanks guys! This thread, along with other MFing/Trading research has gotten me pretty well up to speed with the online component of the game.. the only daunting thing now is trading and not really knowing what items are good in bad, but I assume that will come with time. Here's to a fun ladder :)
  20. Twibz

Twibz IncGamers Member

I wish you good luck in the new ladder, you will gradually pick up knowledge of trading by just trying it on the ladder with people but if you are ever unsure of what something is worth there is the trade value threads available or just ask here or in the community forum and im sure somebody will help out :)

Which realm are you playing on?