Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ok, if anyone calls TP a...

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Community Forum' started by arcanedreams, May 3, 2012. | Replies: 56 | Views: 2086

1. arcanedreams

arcanedreams IncGamers Member

Ok, if anyone calls TP a...

If anyone in my game calls TP a Hearth, i'm going to rage quit that game, or kick them if possible.

This is not wow. Even if it was wow, nowhere in D3 is the word hearthstone. I hate when people mix terms that are game specific.

argggggg
  2. ShadoutMapes

ShadoutMapes IncGamers Member

Re: Ok, if anyone calls TP a...

Not hearth, HS! Doh!

When I play my monk I will totally bubble and HS.

:p
  3. Crudesash68

Crudesash68 IncGamers Member

+1 good sir. Also "toons" :whistling:

4. diablosminion

diablosminion IncGamers Member

^this! everytime i hear the word "toon" used to describe a character in the diablo universe i cringe and kick a kitten......
  5. capnlarge

capnlarge IncGamers Member

I don't even think 'toon' is an appropriate descriptor for a Diablo character, since there is much less of a sense of commitment to your hero than in an MMO. I always thought the term "toon" implied that your character is a virtual representation of yourself. Similar to "avatar" which also doesn't really apply to Diablo.
  6. Tryzx

Tryzx IncGamers Member

Oh god I hate this so much. I hope I'll find Diablo veterans to play with.

7. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

Every day here I find myself amazed at the new and special ways some of you people can find to hate and vilify WoW.
  8. ElementEight

ElementEight IncGamers Member

It's like this pathetic need to belong to one or the other. From where has this inexplicable hatred for the most popular game in the world emerged?

9. arcanedreams

Even if I loved wow, and D3 equally, it would still bug the holy hell out of me.

Even if I loved wow 10 times more than D3 it would still bug me.
  10. Greizer

Greizer IncGamers Member

I've never played WoW, but 'toon' just sounds ridiculous... 'Char' is not good either, but it was used in D2 and so it should remain in D3... Traditions, folks! :alright:Also Legendaries should be gold-colored, but that's for another thread.
  11. Soulless

Soulless IncGamers Member

Yeah, I hate the term "toon". Who the hell came up with that. I also hate when people use game specific terms. I understand some things may be similar in two games, but come on, no need to mix Diablo with WoW, we like our Diablo universe :)
  12. Karpalo

Karpalo IncGamers Member

It's too mainstream. Then again it's too mainstream to hate on mainstream so... I don't even know anymore.

13. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

I play a text-only MMO that requires input in binary and only runs on Sega Master Systems re-flashed to run a version of unix - but you've probably never heard of it.

14. chinz

chinz IncGamers Member

Yeah, it's really funny. Even more amazing is how most of those haters have played WoW enough to have experienced the endgame of WoW and most (if not all) of its expansions. They've probably spent hundreds of hours playing the absolutely awful game they hate just so they'd be able to tell everyone else how bad it is.

15. Nizaris

Nizaris Clan Officer - US West Hardcore

To be honest, I hated the word toon in WoW just as much as anywhere else. That term, to me, is just simply retarded. Usually I really don't care about such mundane things, but it is jarring and just doesn't jive well with me. "Toon" is derived from "cartoon" and I've never applied that to any of Blizzard's games. Some of the artwork is cartoonish, and most notably in WoW, but they are spheres that don't touch for me.

I also didn't know people were calling a TP a hearthstone. HS's should have been called TP's if anything, and second, they function very differently.

I think people are so adamantly against the carry-over of toon specifically due to the nature of its origination and how it should not apply to a completely different universe characterized with terms that follow different etymology. Think of it like different languages. Both Spanish and Italian have Latin roots, but they are separate languages that will never replace the other.

Another example similar to this is why they call male toys "action figures" while female toys are "dolls." Words and thier connotation mean a lot to people, even if its a subliminal feeling.
  16. arcanedreams

I played the trial for a day. But my hatred for wow has no influence on my dislike for people using terms for other games in the wrong game.

My favorite MMO uses "Path of Asura" to transport back to town. It was known as using "path" or "path out". Played the game for 3 years straight doing end game content, led a large guild, built the website, had 1500 unique visitors a month..basically...the game was all I did with my free time for a long while.

Never once have I, nor will I refer to a town skill as "Pathing" while playing another game.
    In diablo you use "TP", in Wow you use "HS", In my other mmo you use "Path". Terms are game specific, and if you mix them you just sound stupid imo.

17. kavlor

kavlor IncGamers Member

The problem is that a game gets use to certain acronyms/term then some people come in using another acronym for the same thing and you don't know what they are on about.This happened in D2 in the last year or so suddenly started to see people saying for example WTB 'want to buy' instead of ISO 'in search of'.
  18. RyTEK

RyTEK IncGamers Member

I play WoW, but I am very much opposed to the blending of terminologies. Keep my alternate universes separate dammit.

I was looking for Diablo podcasts and one was called "Bind on Pickup: Diablo". BIND ON PICKUP. BIND. ON. PICKUP.

Needless to say, I never downloaded that podcast.
  19. ShadoutMapes

ShadoutMapes IncGamers Member

Tbh, toon is a terrible term no matter if it is in WoW or not. It makes no sense!
  20. Greizer

Greizer IncGamers Member

Sort of related - bind on pickup is a horrible idea for Diablo. Bind on equip could make sense, but only for a very few items. You'd have to choose whether to keep or sell those items. And ofc they should bind to account, not char (nor, in any case, toon :p).

On topic (sort of) - I never saw 'wug' and 'wuw' on the European servers, even though they're ubiquitous on the US servers. So even the in-game terminology is not consistent in D2. I wonder what kind of jargon they use on the Asian servers... Tried playing there once but the lag was something unimaginable, could barely create a char (again, not toon :jig:) because of it.