Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Offline Diablo 2 Information Document

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Smips, Jul 4, 2012. | Replies: 64 | Views: 3209

1. Smips

Smips IncGamers Member

Hi all,
    I started playing D2 again this week and I had an idea for an offline document that might be helpful. I was thinking of compiling all of the useful FAQ posts, gameplay mechanics, random useful information, ect... into a nice, easy to navigate, and organized PDF document that would be available for anyone to download and keep on their PC. I can't even remember the number of times i've had to search the internet and forums for half an hour to find what info I was looking for. I imagine this would take a while to compile, but I really think it would be a great resource in the end. How does the community feel about something like this? I'd really like to hear how interested people would be in this and what suggestions people have.

And it would be good to make sure something like this doesn't already exist. ;)

Edit:
    Okay, here's a "starting point" of guides and FAQs topics I've found after some quick searching that I felt at least deserve consideration. Please post any suggestions you have for the list. You may also PM me with additional information or email me at orchardr2(at)gmail(dot)com.

Anyone interested in actively participating in this project, send me a PM so we can talk about next steps!

Map Navigation
    Guide by krischan
    Guide by Quietus

Twinking
    Guide by Timinator – Seems like a nice guide for an alternative to nuking with a Ravenclaw

Mercs
    The Mercenary Guide v1.10 by Alter Ego
    Ultimate Merc Guide v3.0 by Gaza0469
    I imagine there’s a bit of redundant info here, so these would need to be read and combined

Magic Finding
    Guide to Untwinked, Single-Pass Early Game Magic Finding by jiansonz
    MF Oddballs by Nightfish
    Guide to MF for Diablo LOD v1.10/1.11 by Hrus

HF Rushing
    Hellforge Rushing Guide by Ragnarod
    Guide to Hellforge Rushing in 1.11b

Damage Reduction
    Damage Modification Mechanics by Tommi Gustafsson
    Checked by Colony

Item Generation
    Item Generation Tutorial for Patch 1.11 by Warrior of Light
    Checked by Colony

Item Alteration
    Uzziah’s Guide to Altering Items in Game by Uzziah
    Need to make sure this info is still relevant for 1.13c
    A Mini-Guide to Ebugging in the Single Player Forum by Greebo

Charms
    Charm Guide by Kronos, revised by Corax/SPF
    maybe condense it into some kind of table? Checked by Colony

oSkills
    Skill Granting Items 2.1 tables of oskills, auras, ctc and more - By Kijya

Poison Damage
    Calculating Poison Damage by onderduiker

Chance to Hit
    To Hit Calculations by Tommi Gustafsson
    Checked by Colony

Sparkly Chest Mechanics
    A Guide to Sparkly Chests – Unique and Set Items by Quickdeath

Area Levels
    MF Area-Levellist 85+/84/83/82 by melianor

Formulas and Breakpoint Tables
    The Strategy Compendium
    Checked by Colony

Amazon Tables
    Amazon Tables (IAS, FCR, FHR, FBR, FRW and some more!) by Kijya

Sorceress Tables
    Break Points and Formulas by MageChick

Assassin Tables
    Assassin FAQ for Version 1.13 by maxicek
    Assassin IAS Tables by maxicek

Charge Mechanics
    Everything You Need to Know About Charging in PvM by SSoG

FRW
    Faster Run/Walk Formulas by SSoG, courtesy of Tommi Gustafsson

ES Mechanics
    Energy Shield Explained by soepgroente

Other known topic areas:
    Items (white, set, unique, runeword)
    Affix Tables
    LK drop patterns
    Cube Recipes
    Crafting
    Character Descriptions (starting stats, stats on level up, vit/mana per point,ect)
    Blocking mechanics
    Game Versions
    LCS

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  2. skiffcz

skiffcz IncGamers Member

yo smips, welcome back!

Principia Diabolica, eh? I think its a great idea. I also think it would take about 56 lifetimes to get everything together. Lots of stuff is obsolete and would need revisions, stuff is scattered around, also lots of it is gone... So while Id love to see such thing, I fear the massiveness of such task.

On the other hand, 5 percent of stuff is used 95 percent of time. Maybe just start with the core, and then we would see?...

3. Smips

Smips IncGamers Member

Hi skiffcz, thanks for the welcome. :)

I completely agree that encompassing everything would take an incredible amount off time. However getting the core stuff shouldn't take too long. Most of the skin deep stuff its already in FAQ threads here and most of the time would go into organizing and compiling the item/runeword database I think. The long term goal would be to update outdated stuff and write new material. I know it would likely be impossible to get everything, but I think it would be really great in the end...plus it could be like a preventative measure in case of a forum crash.

4. EasyG

EasyG IncGamers Member

Would be epic if someone made such document but like skiffcz said, it would be a lifetime work. Also many things dont work in pdf, like calculators.

OT: looking for a traplayspeed calculator in which I can add decrepify debuff in order to calculate what to socket my claws with at my kicksin baalrunner :) (is decrepify -50 skill-ias or -50 oias?)

edit: found it is skill-ias, like burst of speed, burst of speed is allmsot 50% aswell, so im looking at a small negative eias. going to check assassin faq again if im able to do my own calculations with this knowledge. sorry for the ot.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  5. Smips

Smips IncGamers Member

I agree that the lack of calculators would stink but someone with some programming skills could make offline versions. Heck if I had a better understanding of all the mechanics I would do it myself. Also I never said this needs to be a lone persons effort :).

6. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal

I'd be more than happy to help, if you gave me areas to work on :nod:

7. Smips

Smips IncGamers Member

Well I'm glad that there seems to be some interest at least(no one's called me an idiot yet!). I think I might surf through some of the major stuff over the next few days and write up a quick Table of Contents for what the first pass might look like. If people want to shout out some ideas for existing information that's available that they would like to see in the document, feel free to post.

8. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

This sounds great. Lots and lots of info would be really nice to have offline. :) I will definitely help look through copies of this as it is released and improved upon and hopefully come up with more to include.

9. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

Does anyone remember the LODencylopedia by Kleefstra? That was/is an offline recourse for 1.09, I still use it on occasions. I've got the zip file somewhere.

10. Smips

Smips IncGamers Member

@TheNix:
    If you happen to stumble upon that zip file, could you email it to me? You can send it to orchardr2(at)gmail(dot)com. Thanks :thumbsup:

I did a quick run through all of the stickied stuff in each of the Strategy forums and managed to bookmark 28 different FAQ threads/links with some good information. I imagine it'll have to be skimmed through to determine which stuff is up to date(or at least close enough) for it to be added in. I'll try and post an outline with links to everything I pulled up today at some point tomorrow. For now, it's off to bed.

11. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

@Smips - On its way. Being 1.09 it was before synergies, but you can still see the way it's done.

12. dustloop

dustloop IncGamers Member

Hey Smips! Welcome back, I always remembered your avatar :)

13. Cyrax

Cyrax IncGamers Member

Love the idea :yes:. Can't imagine how much work it is to actually get all the info sorted out.

And just an idea: You said you're thinking about making a PDF off it. I doubt it if you can do calculations in there, but maybe putting it in Excel would help? Maybe it would make it look a little less organised, but calculations shouldn't be much of a problem if you have for formulae.

14. Smips

Smips IncGamers Member

Thanks for the welcome dustloop. :)

@cyrax:
    While I don't think excel would be a good medium for the whole document since a great deal of it will be text, you gave me anidea! Excel would be a great tool to build offline calculators with. Each calculation would have its own sheet to keep it organized and you can set up pull down menus to link to a sheet containing game data.I certainly would not want to be the one to make an attack speed calculator though! No reason to keep everything contained to one file for this so good thinking.:)

15. Jason Maher

Jason Maher IncGamers Member

I can also offer my services to do some research and typing/typesetting.

16. Twibz

Twibz IncGamers Member

I'd love something like this for runewords, cube recipes, items drop area levels n stuff like that all in one concise manual, GL to whoever tackles this with smips, my hero's :heartbeat:

17. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Site Pal

I have a small cache of offline docs, pdfs, excel sheets, etc that I keep for when I cannot get online. PM or post an email and I'll zip them up and email them to you.

Perhaps you can put in your OP the type of stuff you're looking for and the stuff you already have so that you're not deluged with duplicates.

18. Kitriara

Kitriara IncGamers Member

Something like this would be incredible. I know its the internet and nothing ever reeeally goes away, but I've actually started compiling something like this on my own, just in case some important D2 stuff was removed. I can only imagine I'll be playing this game for another 10 years, and would hate to do so without access to everything I need!

19. Smips

Smips IncGamers Member

Cool, thanks crawlingdeadman. I found a number of PDFs for most of the info that's on the Arreat Summit(items, uniques, sets, runewords, ect), but I need to see if I can find a way to edit them to include treasure class and qlvl. You can send me anything you have at orchardr2(at)gmail(dot)com. I'll be posting this evening covering what FAQs and such I've dug up that seem worthy of going in the document as well as information that I would like to include, but haven't yet found and posting links to everything, so stay tuned ;).

Speaking of e-mails...

@TheNix: Not sure if you ever sent the 1.09 guide, but I never found it in my inbox or spam. If you could try sending it again, that'd be great :).

@Kitriara:
    I know just going through the stickies last night, I encountered a plethora of dead links...so the Internet is not "always and forever." ;)

20. jamesixgun

jamesixgun IncGamers Site Pal

I also have a small file of stuff, mostly from 1.12, and I'm not sure what all's there, but pretty sure it still exists (and if it doesn't, one of its backups is on a drive I wiped accidentally but haven't written over, and so I can retrieve it with ease). When I get home today, I'll look and see what I have, and let you know.

This would be of great interest to me, and I would be very happy to help with anything. I can research with the best of them, and like to organize and categorize stuff, but I know next to nothing about game mechanics or excel...