Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Obscure, classic, Indie or just plain 'WTF?' games to try?i

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Drystan, Jul 2, 2012. | Replies: 47 | Views: 6028

1. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

Obscure, classic, Indie or just plain 'WTF?' games to try?

Howdy. I'm interested in trying new (or old) obscure, flash, indie or just plain weird short games that you might know of or have found recently. Or those with rediculously impossible difficulties, such as the old NES/Sega games. I'm going to list a couple of mine that I would highly recommend, and hopefully, someone else will know of some, and share theirs. There are a couple others that have been mentioned in the EMB and other places, as well as popular ones such as Nethack, which I haven't tried. Other obscure games, including card games, may be mentioned, such as Munchkin Quest and popular sorts such as Magic the Gathering, so basically, this could be a compilation of Indie/Flash/Weird/Obscure games that some people may like to try if they have some time. The ones I'm going to recommend and briefly describe are Way, Ecco the Dolphin, and Escape from the Underworld.

-----------------------------------------------

Way (Trailer inside)

A must try. I won't spoil it too much, but 'In Way, two strangers learn to speak.' An amazing concept, well executed, and a heart-warming game - definitely worth playing until you finish it. Unfortunately, it does require two people, and it isn't guarenteed that you'll get a partner immediately. And there is a chance to get a troll, or someone who leaves without warning. Still, definitely worth it given the ending. If nothing else, watch the trailer on the site linked.

Ecco the Dolphin

Ok, as I just gave this game another shot, I want to share my experience with this... game. I enjoyed it as a child on the Sega MegaDrive, but never got far. Lucky for me, as this game is rediculously difficult, and the challenges require patience and time. The story is... You'll see. Let's start from the beginning.

You are Ecco, a dolphin, happily swimming and communicating with your pod, no burdens upon your fins, with happy and positive music. Starts simply enough. No troubles understanding the game yet? Well, unfortunately, this simple premise of swimming with your pod got turned into quite the unusual game.

Under the spoiler is a real spoiler, a simple walkthrough of the story. If you want to give this a go, please stop reading at any point, and try to give it a go yourself. Understand that the there are numerous mazes, the difficulty is very tough, and there are almost no hints as to how you're meant to proceed against some bosses.

One of your podmates challenges you to jumping as high as you can. As you gain control over your form and fins, you leap into the air a couple of times, and soon leap high into the sky... Only to be suspended in mid air, while a vortex appears out of nowhere, sucking everything off the seabed and ocean. The music changes, heartbreakingly, as you land back into the water to find your entire pod has vanished. The quest begins to find out what happened to your pod, and to bring them back.

So, you swim around for a bit, trying to work out the map, and soon find your way to the next level. For the record, the levels are long, twisting paths and caverns, and you have both limited life, and limited air. Expect to run out of air frequently as you try to find the correct path, and be forced to restart from the very beginning of the level, with all puzzles reset. No wonder I never finished this as a kid...

While you search the ocean depths, you wind up finding some dolphins and discovering more about the widespread effects of the vortex. You are hinted towards searching for Big Blue, who tells you that he can't help you, and to find the oldest creature in the oceans: the Asterite.

The what??? The hell is an Asterite? After working out a few more underwater mazes and puzzles, you come across it, and find out this is the Asterite. Ok, serious?
    That thing can actually talk to you, and gives you information about the vortex, and that it occurs every 500 years, sucking all life from the oceans. He also tells you that to save your pod, you need to travel back in time, to retrieve one of his balls! Err, 'globes,' as he is weakened without it.

To do this, you must travel to Atlantis, and find the sonar time machine, and find the Asterite from the prehistoric ages. Only this time, the Asterite isn't too happy to see you, and attacks you with a weird lightning bolt that is basically an instakill. Did I mention that if you die, you have to do the whole level again? Believe me, this past Asterite is going to kill you.

Be grateful for save-stating. You are not given any clue or hint as to how you're meant to obtain one of his balls, and he will fry you with his lightning bolt time and time again. You get frustrated, and use google or youtube. Now you know what to do. You die. And die again. Eventually, through save-states, you succeed, and move back to the present to return his ball. There is some form of time-paradox in this encounter, but I can't recall exactly what it is.

Now with the Asterite fully recovered, he gives Ecco some extra power, and says to rescue the pod, Ecco must travel back to when the vortex appeared, and be sucked off the planet with the rest of his pod.

Having done so, Ecco must travel through some rediculous auto-scrolling levels, where death means starting from the very beginning of the level (and death is frequent, whether being squished by walls, or from the almost insta-kill aliens,) only to fight the alien Queen. This 'Vortex Queen' can instakill Ecco by swallowing him, has walls that shoot little globules for weak damage, has acidic blood that spurts everywhere, can spawn alien creatures, and you aren't even told how the hell you're meant to defeat it. And dying to the Queen means doing that stupid auto-scrolling level, which takes probably 15 minutes alone on a clean run...

And the sequel, Ecco 2: Tides of Time gets even better, but that will do for another tale.

Escape From The Underworld

An Indie adventure game. Very simple, but very well executed and quite enjoyable. You play as an angel, sent to the depths of Hell, and stripped of all belongings and power. But who sent you, and why? And will you right a wrong. Who is that 'angel' to order you sent to Hell anyway? Another great game with secret rooms, weapons and items, and various challenges to try to complete.

Now, having heard about three old, indie, weird, or just plain rediculous games, I'd like to give a couple more a go. Please post your own review of any interesting games you've come across lately.

Cheers
    ~Dryst
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  2. skiffcz

skiffcz IncGamers Member

Re: Obscure, classic, Indie or just plain 'WTF?' games to try?

If you havent yet, you definately have to try darwinia AND multiwinia ;]
  3. redragon

redragon IncGamers Member

Hey Drystan.

I used to play Magic the gathering on the PC as well as RL, if you find a working flash version please tell me.

Also play the original Mario flash game on the net sometimes.
  4. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

Good thread idea :)

I've been talking about The Binding of Isaac a lot lately, since the expansion was released at the end of May. that link goes to the intro to the game, which is about all the story you need. From there, the game plays as a rogue-like very very very similar to LoZelda (bombs that break open secret walls, keys, heart containers, etc.)
    The game is immensely difficult, with the randomization of drops partially determining how much skill you need to survive. Of course, after a few attempts the game becomes understandable.
    One of my favourite aspects of the game is that there are 100+ items (200+ in the expansion) and most of them change your appearance in-game. Some things are pretty funny, too, like a battery or rock sticking out of your head, or wings that make you able to fly over rocks and the like.
    I also really enjoy the enemies, and the bosses are well-designed, too.
    As for a gameplay video, you're probably best finding one on your own, that doesn't say anything like "last boss, etc. etc." for spoiler reasons. A Let's Play is probably a good idea.

If you're looking for really difficult (although I've never played it) I would look for games that the Angry Video Game Nerd (AVGN) has tried. A very good example of this is Deadly Towers for NES, which has aspects similar to Zelda as well.

i'll come back once I've thought of some more.
  5. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Site Pal

6. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

Somebody in my office showed my a game called "QWOP", which is an INCREDIBLY frustrating and impossible game where you make a character run by pressing those keys.
  7. pharphis

^HAHAHAHA
    Yes, it is frustrating. even knowing how to do it, it is still difficult.
  8. Lasagnamantis

Lasagnamantis IncGamers Member

Is it based on matchmaking only? Can you play the game with a friend?

9. djmbbandie

djmbbandie IncGamers Member

I recommend Doom. It's the grandfather of all FPS games.

Here's a website with Act I of the game (not playable with Mac)

Warning: Kind of gory.
  10. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

@skiffcz - I'm looking more for oldschool/classic freeware/abandonware types, or just plain weird/strange indie games. Just some short things. Nothing to get hooked on, but play through a couple times when I have some time. I think Darwinia is fairly recent, isn't it (compared with the types I'm looking for anyway?) Still, I do remember Darwinia, as my bro enjoyed it at one stage.

@reddragon - I've only just seen MtG. A YT'er who's doing a HC LP of DIII is also making a playthrough of a MtG game, and it looks quite enjoyable. Unfortunately, I don't know of any flash versions, but I'm skeptical about the intelligence of the AI anyway in that type of game.
    Which mario flash game? The original NES version remade, or a different one? I've always been a fan of SMB3 for the NES. Grew up with that one.

@pharphis - Yes. You're the main reason I began looking for these types again. I've seen the game from your links previously, but that trailer is just crazy dark. LoL. I'll probably give TBoI a go one night over the weekend - not completely sure if I'll get into the humour of it or not though. :D
    Also, some good LP'ers which brought back memories of games from my childhood (such as Ecco the Dolphin, as I never finished that as a kid.)

The classic NES games are rediculous in their difficulty. Look up Air Fortress or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Even SEGA's Ecco the Dolphin is rediculously hard - search through labyrinths, and when you die, start the whole level again, and the final auto-scrolling stage is just horrid to your sanity. I've watched some of AVGN, but I enjoy Frankomatic and DeceasedCrab's LP's more.

@CDM - Awesome! Great list. I remember quite a few of those, and even have One Must Fall 2097 on my laptop at the moment. I'll give that list a good look through when I can. It is missing Elite+ though. :)

@Robby - XD I've had the unfortunate experience of trying to work out QWOP as well... I gave up on it within 5 minutes, but still kept trying for a little longer, just to get a few laughs from it.

@Lasagnamantis - You load the game, and then it waits until there is someone else also waiting. I'm not sure exactly how it matches up or how many are on it, but when there are two people waiting, it then hooks you up with them and starts. If you leave it in the background, you can usually hear the background music change, so you can be doing something else while waiting.
    If you and your friend both load it up around the same time, I don't see why it wouldn't match you up. There aren't many people on it anyway, but still, leave it in the background, and give it a shot. It is a very unique concept.
    You can also make Private (named) games, but I don't know how they work exactly. My setup doesn't let me join (unless I create one and join with myself.)

@bandie - Wolfenstein 3D is the grandfather. :nod: It came out a year before Doom. I'm more of a Duke Nukem fan though. Still, if you want to shoot classic monsters, Doom is a good choice. Quite gory, so please keep that in mind.
  11. pharphis

The gameplay itself isn't too dark, in TBoI, and most of the darkness comes from the endings (13 of them?).
    I have put about 150+ hours into the game, though. . . About 60 of those in the last month, because of the expansion, and 40 for each completion of the vanilla game. I still have a couple of things I haven't beaten yet, either, because the newest final dungeon is outrageously hard. (each room containing 1-3 bosses, depending on their size, and usually paired by theme, such as 2 of the same boss, or variations of it, or 3 "sins" in a single room). you'll see if you end up interested enough to get the expansion.
  12. spearv

spearv IncGamers Member

Way back in the 90s I had a friend who had a PC (I was still rocking the Amiga A500 with an extra half meg of ram), and I can still remember watching him playing Wolfenstein, and how amazing that game seemed. I haven't ever enjoyed playing FPS games, even then, but I appreciated that this was completely brilliant, probably ground-breaking!

Whenever I get into a very retro-mood with gaming I tend to
    1. DOS-box the original Railroad Tycoon until I realise it hasn't quite stood the test of time,
    2. Demolish the original Civ a couple of times, invariably starting a King game on Earth, as the Americans with 5 starting civilisations, and try to get a population that's "realistic" by around 2000ad. I don't think its particularly realistic, but I try.
    3. Play Transport Tycoon on a lot of hard settings with just a few opponents. Attempt to flatten the entire landscape so my monorail network is a beauty to behold. Build a couple of mountains to watch my money deplete.
    4. Tyrian. I always have time for Tyrian but I still have no idea what unlocks some of the more ridiculous weapons, so I get a few weeks entertainment out of the various combinations. And frustrated by the stupid gravity boss a few times.

And once in a blue moon, I'll play some original Diablo. I tend to dive right into Ironman on Immortal, if I can find Pete's rules for the latter (afaik he passed away a couple of years ago and though we didn't get along, I certainly had a level of respect for him. And still remember him, though the DSF must have been disbanded for, at least a decade now). Err, tangent!

For several years my stupid gaming obsession was Minesweeper (I have some wicked stories about that from a few years ago, let me tell you!), but of late I tend to hit up Bejeweled if I'm feeling uninspired with everything else... one day I'll score a million, one day.
  13. pharphis

Oh! A pretty obscure game that I loved (and still do :) ) is Future Cop: LAPD. It was for Playstation and PC (pre-XP. . . so good luck!). I had it for playstation, and it was a very fun game, mostly with friends in the competitive mode. The music is great, too!

Essentially you're a futuristic, transforming war mech of some kind, with several different types of weapons at your disposal. The campaign is really challenging, even with cheats, but perhaps partially because I was young. The "Precinct Assault" mode is the real fun (same as multiplayer, except against AI) where you face this flying enemy name Sky Captain who says absolutely ridiculous things.

The objective of this game mode is to have one of your tanks enter the enemy's base. Each base (red and blue) has a series of turrets on the front, and each person can send up to 20 tanks or copters (and more again once they're destroyed) from their base for 1 point each.
    How do you get points? Well you get 1 point for every grey (neutral) turret you claim as your own (also respawn as grey again) and 1 point for every turret/copter/tank you kill. I think you get 10 for killing sky captain, and it reduces his points by 5 or 10, and the same goes for you. There are also weapon pick-ups which increase your damage (or range or both) dramatically, with limited ammo, and finally, each level also has 4 "outposts" (mini bases) that you can buy for 30 points. They act as a small base that you can send tanks or copters out of, and some are quite close to the enemy's base, and also have 2 perma-turrets like those at your main base (destructible, but respawn as yours again). Oh, and finally there is a Dreadnaught (?) and Flying Fortress you can spawn, which are the super equivalents of the tank and copter, for 50 points each. I probably forgot something, but whatever :p
  14. Pyrohemia

Pyrohemia IncGamers Member

Some games; all free, some open-source.

Insane/Impossible/WTF - I Wanna Be The Guy

Obscure / Retro - Open LieroX
    (Successor of LieroX which was an successor of Liero)
    Really needs two players. If both using the same computer you had better have a non-ghosting keyboard if you don't want to get punched by your friend.
    My favorite game of all time - N

Obscure, Fun/Hard/Insane/Impossible - Neverball

Bonus: The difference between Neverball and IWBTG.

Neverball is fun with a gentle introduction and gradual difficulty curve which eventually ascends to alarming heights.

IWBTG on the other hand is like walking to the shops on a sunny summers day when suddenly the universe decides that you were a little too chipper walking along with your coffee and your newspaper so something must be done. Thus, your coffee turns cold and the wind tears a page of your newspaper, but that is just a distraction because the entire planet blows up.

If you haven't seen any one of these games before you should definitely try them, just don't start with I Wanna Be The Guy or you will think that I am a psychopathic anarchist who wants to castrate your chickens.
  15. skiffcz

skiffcz IncGamers Member

Also, ridiculously catchy games of old are Dungeon Keeper and Dungeon Keeper II and I remember being completely consumed by Battle Isle: Incubation for few months of my life ;]

edit ... hm, that made me think about Wild Metal Country being nice little cancer eating out your life second by second (freely dlable from rockstar) ... , uh and what about all those hours spent playing battlezone, then it brings me back to original descents and I stop here, because I start to feel pitifully old. :(

edit: darn, here comes nostalgia http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ZtBCpo0eU
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  16. pharphis

Yes. Yes. Yes.... IWBTG is the devil. Even if you KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN you will still die many many many many times. It is that demanding of exact timing and reflexes.

17. MYK

MYK Diablo: IncGamers Member

I like a lot of the old Lucas Arts games: Full Throttlep and Monkey Island 1 & 2 are my top picks from those and they'd fit into the 'classic' games. The quality of the games is especially high in all aspects of them. It's interesting that they revamped the graphics of MI and it basically turns them into new games again. These aren't really too obscure. I break them out every few years and play them through and enjoy it.
  18. Twibz

Twibz IncGamers Member

The original sonic for the mega-drive is still one of my all time favourites from my childhood, remember going round to my cousins and playing that for hours, still brilliant, and actually pretty challenging until you learn the levels. I even downloaded it off of xbox live arcade i love it that much.

marvel vs capcom 2 an old arcade game was really challenging too, got it for mame on my pc and realised its actually IMPOSSIBLE to complete, get to the end boss, kill him , then he goes super big and pretty much instakills you, also good for hand , wrist, and lower arm strains from loadsa button bashing...

gotta throw diablo 1 in there because, yeah, because... and extra style points to anyone who finished it on the playstation ;)
  19. pharphis

I own it on playstation :p
    I barely tried it on there, though.

Yes! Sonic is amazing. I was a huge fan of 2,3 and knuckles, but not so much of sonic 1 simply because of the difficulty is much larger for that game.

20. Twibz

Twibz IncGamers Member

it was extremely difficult, and frustrating, getting to the later zones and then one bit of poor luck or judgement and you're back to the emerald zone ;D the swimming area was always the worst for me, really got frustrated there.

There was also a brilliant sonic game (think it was called adventures) for the dreamcast which imo was an extremely underrated machine, some amazing games at the time on it