Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Obscene bids on an item@ GAH

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Market & Economy Discussion Forum' started by Cpdoom, Nov 5, 2012. | Replies: 11 | Views: 4732

1. Cpdoom

Cpdoom IncGamers Member

Ok so here's the deal: I've been scouting for an off hand weapon for my monk, and I've been in bid wars for several similar items to the one that my question pertains to. I am flabbergasted at how high the bids on this weapon in question has soared. It's easier just to link a picture of the item in question:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=14mdi4o&s=6

As I said I've seen(unless I am missing something) equally good and even better items go for less than 10 million. So am I missing something on this items that values the item equally to the bid?

PS: I am quite certain it isn't an 'accident' bid because it's been going up all day first at 50mil then 60mil and now this.

2. gakky

gakky IncGamers Member

For a monk fair value would be around 7m as the damage is quite low. I guess a wizard could use a source to mitigate that and make the weapon more useful, but I still wouldn't expect more than 10m.
    Also the life steal + LOH combo would be excellent for high MP uber tank who didn't worry as much about the damage. But still no more than 10m as the market is flooded with items like that.

Sometimes you see this phenomenon in ebay people get carried away and pay way more for something with a much cheaper BIN elsewhere. They are more interested in winning the auction than getting good value. Could be that, or just 2 guys with 100s millions mucking around.
    And beware of vendor bids. Happened to me I bid up to 25m on a weapon and lost the auction. 5 mins later I picked up the item for 18m BIN.

3. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

It's a ww Barb off hand.

What they want:
    fast attack speed
    LL
    High LoH
    Crit damage
    Socket
    Strength or vit

That sword is an amazing ww Barb offhand.

You're trying to compete with the most popular build in the game right now. That's the major issue.

4. Cpdoom

Cpdoom IncGamers Member

Like I said I've been in bid wars for several similar items that has ended below 10mil. The only real difference between several of those and this particular item is the 73str and 66int. I guess my question is: Is 73str and 66int worth paying 60-70 million more?

5. darkrealm

darkrealm IncGamers Site Pal

Probably not. Here is the thing, anyone can have someone else "bid-up" their items. You will never know the answer to that question.

6. kestegs

To a to end geared Barb 70 strength is a big deal.

This is true, but I don't think it's that common. Either way, at least 1 real bidder has to think it's worth that much.

7. Cpdoom

Cpdoom IncGamers Member

I just think it's kinda odd, because the Life Steal, the Life on Hit and the Crit Hit Dmg could be significantly better. I could understand it if it was like a perfect roll of course, but it doesn't really seem to be. I mean wouldn't you just as gladly have this(which doesn't even get a bid for 15mil:
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=5wvuvd&s=6
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=33cyty0&s=6

8. kestegs

I would have to attribute that to people being uninformed on stats. Sometimes people just search for items with certain stats whether they are actually better or not. I'll admit that it is a bit odd though.

9. Cpdoom

Cpdoom IncGamers Member

Yea that might be it.

An unrelated question: How come you use Buriza on your follower?

10. kestegs

Buriza is a really great defensive weapon for your follower. triple shot + freeze + pierce means a ton of monsters are frozen/chilled. It also works really well with my passive that increases damage to chilled/frozen monsters. I used to use Enchantress in 1.0.4 but the nerf to her makes the scoundrel a better choice for me now.

11. Cpdoom

Cpdoom IncGamers Member

Cool.

12. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

For a 10mil barb offhand (assuming it was really worth 10mil), if you add 60-70 str you are definitely adding something in the area of 10-30mil to its value. Now without the str I still think it would have gone for a lot more than 10mil anyway, which makes the whole thing make a lot more sense.

Also, never go in bid wars. Bid last 5 seconds. You should know that by now that you can only benefit from doing so. Bid wars compared to bidding last 5 seconds guarantees you to pay at least as much as you would have paid if you bid last 5 seconds, so just don't do it.