Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Oath in a normal weapon

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by TheNoseKnows, Sep 18, 2013. | Replies: 9 | Views: 927

1. TheNoseKnows

TheNoseKnows IncGamers Member

I was thinking of making an Oath runeword in a 4-socket Colossus Sword I found (non-superior, non-ethereal). At first I was disappointed that it wasn't ethereal, but I looked at the stats of the level 16 Heart of Wolverine, and wondered if I couldn't simply make up the lost damage using the repairable charges.

Can the spirit be relied upon to survive a reasonable amount of time in Hell? How expensive are the repair costs for each charge?
  2. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

Don't know the cost but it won't survive a lot in hell unless you already have tons of other tanks and/or teleport
  3. Dagaz

Dagaz IncGamers Member

Spirits die frequently, as I learned from my fury druid. Basiclly every bosspack will kill it, if not some random monster; and after some time I just got sick of casting it again and again. So... I don't think it's worth putting Oath in non-eth just because of those charges.

Edit: just to make it clear, the dying spirit i talk about is level 15, not 1 or so ;)
  4. naranjadita

naranjadita IncGamers Member

If you aren't sure, just do tha calculations :3 Let's say, there's a frenzy barbarian wearing arreat's face, highlord's wrath and 2 combat skillers. About level 60, so we have maxed frenzy, 10 hard points in taunt and double swing, and one point in sword mastery. With ~180 str needed for colossus sword, we'll have:

X - oath damage
    1.5X - etherial oath damage

X*(1+0.01(180[SUB]str[/SUB]+385[SUB]frenzy[/SUB]+48[SUB]mastery[/SUB]+125[SUB]spirit[/SUB])) = 8.38X
    1.5X*(1+0.01(180[SUB]str[/SUB]+385[SUB]frenzy[/SUB]+48[SUB]mastery[/SUB])) = 10.695X

In this example, etherial one is clearly superior, and the difference will be growing with additional sources of ed% like Might aura from mercenary, Fortitude armour or additional points into weapon mastery.
    So... just insert your numbers here and I'm sure the result will be the same.

edit: and yeah. Spirits die constantly.
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  5. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

As you are going to invest a Mal and Pul rune, I would rather get an ethereal two-hander which will get 4 sockets from Larzuk, like a highland blade, balrog blade or champion sword (not a legend sword, it gets just 3 sockets). If ethereal, they are all better than a noneth colossus sword and more speedy as well when using another attack than WW. That includes Heart of Wolverine not being available. You don't need its AR bonus (which might be a different case in PvP, however) and its 125% ed off-weapon will add to the bonuses from strength, aura, attack skill etc. any, so it may increase from e.g. 800% to 925%. In contrast, 1.5-fold weapon damage would be like a 450% off-weapon bonus in the 800% scenario.
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  6. nulio

nulio IncGamers Member

And if you go for a 1.07 or 1.08 eth weapon you'll have another 50ED bonus to the weapon max ED (meaning before all other ED), which is great.
  7. TheNoseKnows

Ok, clearly the Heart of Wolverine isn't nearly enough to compensate. Thank you for your answers.

While we're on the subject of ethereal weapons from 1.07, I've been reading about them here, and would like to ask a question about the formula used to calculate ethereal weapon damage.

This seems to imply that the higher the maximum damage of a weapon, the more it will gain. By this logic, would Balrog Blades and Cryptic Swords give the best damage?

I'm planning to use Oath for a WW build, so Cryptic Swords may be unnecessarily fast though.
  8. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Sorry, I cannot read that page, the shrill colors hurt my eyes :).

If the 2.25-fold maxdmg issue is true, the question is whether ethereal items from 1.07 will keep it when transferring them into later patch levels.
  9. TheNoseKnows

10. nulio

nulio IncGamers Member

It's more than proved that 1.07/8 weapons keep such bonus when moved forward - where they then get 1.09+ eth bonus in addition to their existing eth bonus.

But be careful in how you interpret such bonus. The 50ED to maximum damage isn't added to the base damage, otherwise 1.07/8 eth weapons would be even more OP when moved forward.

It's Min Dmg * 1.5 * Weapon ED and Max Dmg * 1.5 * Weapon ED + 50ED not Min Dmg * 1.5 * Weapon ED and Max Dmg * 2.25 * Weapon ED.