Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Non-US residents *HAVE* to have a credit card to buy/sell on the RMAH

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Community Forum' started by eatspie, Apr 30, 2012. | Replies: 9 | Views: 2687

1. eatspie

eatspie IncGamers Member

Non-US residents *HAVE* to have a credit card to buy/sell on the RMAH

So after a long day with both Blizzard and Paypal giving me no information, I've finally discovered why I was unable to attach a paypal account to my battle net account. Apparently Blizzard treats all transactions with Paypal as a "recurring payment," even one-time payments (such as the d3 digital download). What this means is, you need either a debit card or a credit card attached to your paypal account, in order to ensure that you have enough funds to cover the "recurring payment". In the US, debit cards are issued by credit card companies, while in other countries (such as Canada), they are not. Attaching a debit card to your account requires you to specifiy whether the card was issued by mastercard, visa, amex, etc. So if you're not American and you don't have a credit card (like me), you're out of luck.
  2. Namik

Namik IncGamers Member

Re: Non-US residents *HAVE* to have a credit card to buy/sell on the RMAH

Yup, same problem here. Don't have credit/debit card and can't attach my paypal to battle.net account.
  3. Soulless

Soulless IncGamers Member

Blizzard really should address this issue if they want the RMAH to be as successful as possible.
  4. ShadoutMapes

ShadoutMapes IncGamers Member

Isnt the reason for "recurring payments" that transactions can happen without having to go paypal each time and manually accept a transaction. Requiring credit cards probably also adds a big layer of security in the system for both Blizzard and Paypal (easier to track who people are in Paypal if they have assigned a card).

Isn't it fairly normal to have a credit card today though. Around here you can get them thrown at you pretty much.
  5. FaultyYogurt

FaultyYogurt IncGamers Member

People can link their accounts to Paypal which will provide a recurring payment. The only reason this might be necessary is if the problem is Blizzard has no way of assuring payment if somebody overdrafts their bank account using Paypal because they complete the charge beforehand.

Or, for the cynic/conspiracy theorist, Blizzard wants it to go to Credit rather than Debit so people won't be so wary of the funds at their disposal for a purchase...

6. eatspie

eatspie IncGamers Member

Well, for me personally I went deeply into debt a few years back after losing my job and had to give up on all credit. All my online purchases are made through paypal (which I have attached my bank account to), and it has never been a problem in the past. Paypal also does not generally allow you to attach visa prepaid gift cards to your account, so that isn't an option. Luckily though I did find a solution, I applied for a secured credit card (you are guaranteed to get one if you apply, even if you have terrible credit, because you pay the balance of the card up front) and was approved, so I should be able to attach that when it arrives.

7. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

What about battlenet balance?

I thought the idea of battlenet balance is so that we can sell (adding money to our bnet balance) and then using that money to buy RMAH items, all without needing a credit card.

Is that not true anymore? Do we need a credit card attached to make use of battlenet balance?
  8. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

This is all interesting but i can't imagine actually buying any gear on the auction house.

Maybe selling if I thought I found something valuable, but then i'd probably use it. How do they give you the money back if you're selling? do they credit your credit card (like a return?) or does it stay in the battlenet account?
  9. Namik

Namik IncGamers Member

When you are selling item you choose if you want it to be added to your b.net account or sent to your paypal. You can't get out cash that is on your b.net, once you get money there it stays there for ever (or until you spend it of course). So if you want this cash on your paypal you need to attach your paypal to your b.net account. If you don't have credit/debit card you can't attach paypal to your account, so you can't get this money out. You can only use b.net balance.
  10. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

That's the impression I'm under as well, Namik. I don't need to cash out item sales for real money...as long as it goes to my Bnet balance and I can use THAT to buy other items in the RMAH, I'm happy.