Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

No weapon animations for the monk is embarrassing

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by ABarbarian, Apr 9, 2012. | Replies: 14 | Views: 4608

1. ABarbarian

ABarbarian Banned

No weapon animations for the monk is embarrassing

I literally can't play the monk because I'm embarrassed for the development team every time I select a spell. Sucks that this eliminates one of the possible classes I will be playing. I don't like feeling embarrassed while playing the game, it breaks the immersion.

What do you guys think? whenit'sdonetm
  2. Raesene

Raesene IncGamers Member

Re: No weapon animations for the monk is embarrassing

I wouldn't go so far as to say that I feel embarrassed, but I do think the monk animations stand out from the others as being a bit goofy by weapon choice. This is probably why long ago they wanted to restrict the monk to a very specific weapon set, but players pushed back on that hard - so here we are.

To be fair, the other classes have incongruent animations as well with certain weapons. A barbarian will cleave with a spear. Strafe with a demon hunter using a bow looks a bit silly. The witch doctor and wizard don't really use their weapons so their animations don't have this issue.
  3. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

I think it's pretty badass that the Monk fights with his fists regardless of what weapon he's using :p. It struck me as a good compromise, and let's face it - he still looks pretty bad arse :p.

I think that if you use fist weapons (which most players will, I think), he'll look fine. Non-fist weapons for dual-wielding (IE swords) are only 'good' in the beta because good fist stuff doesn't seem to drop so early....but the best items for the monk will be fist weapons and daibos - which both look cool on him :p.

They were also very smart to make some of his spell effects utilise his staff - Tempest Rush and Wave of Light.
  4. beingmused

beingmused IncGamers Member

I think it would be more ridiculous if he was doing "Way of One Hundred Fists" or any of his other cool attacks with a sword or mace or any other non-Monk-like weapon that you happen to be wearing for DPS. It would be cool if they worked in a way to add animations for the staff (for those skills that don't explicitly state fists), since that's really the only "monk" like weapon I want to see him wielding. For the rest, I'd prefer it just show fists, looks better.
  5. Coolhwip

Coolhwip IncGamers Member

I recommend taking a double dose of OCD medicine when playing D3.
  6. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

Try using the Wizard's Magic Missile while wielding a bow...
  7. cozmiccc

cozmiccc IncGamers Member

If you're not playing monk just because of this issue you're missing out... Nuff said
  8. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

Agreed, the class is built around martial arts and I am perfectly fine with him/her dominating the world with their bare hands, Bruce Lee style. :)

The monk also has kicking abilities I came to think of, is the Monk the only one who has that?

9. Wildmoon

Wildmoon IncGamers Member

I have sword but I don't use it because I am too badass.
  10. Daemonaz

Daemonaz IncGamers Member

Wasn't the OP, the guy who wasn't even gone buy Diablo III as it was horrible?
  11. IgorAl

IgorAl IncGamers Member

Just one of the many hehe

12. skien

skien IncGamers Member

I just don't understand how people care so much, it's the epitome of nerd rage - he's not supposed to fight with weapons he's a hand to hand martial artist... Get rid of the weapons altogether i say!
  13. MathewPoland

MathewPoland IncGamers Member

Knowing Blizzard it would take them about a year to add proper animations for all the classes, so... I'd rather get the game as it is now than wait another year or so to get it with a few things I wouldn't really notice after a few hours of playing anyway.

Come on... All the graphics, animations and stuff will be noticeble for a short period of time. As long as everything runs smoothly and there aren't any major bugs, we'll get used to the visuals and focus on the gameplay, which, in my opinion, is awesome.
  14. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

Punching stuff in the face is more fun than hitting it with a stick. Just ask the unarmed badass
  15. Brak

Brak IncGamers Member

I just wish the Monk would never unsheath the weapon. What is jarring is that the Monk will one second stand in a ready position holding their weapon as if they were going to attack with it, then right before killing some enemies they're like "Holy Crap, demons. I'd better put this cumbersome hunk of metal in my backpack so I can punch and kick."
    Then after all the demons are dead "where did my damn sword go?" *gets sword back out*