Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

No Skill Points? Please tell me your opinions

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Kizwik, Mar 31, 2012. | Replies: 30 | Views: 2442

1. Kizwik

Kizwik IncGamers Member

No Skill Points? Please tell me your opinions

Ok so,
    As I understand it, there are no longer points that you allocate upon leveling to your Attributes AND there are no points that you allocate to certain skills to make them stronger?
    So, everyone of the same class has the same strength spells damage-wise?
    So, the only thing that makes anyone of the same class different(barring one having much better gear)..are the skills that they have selected to use?
    Am I right about this?
    It almost seems...kinda blander imo, but i have NOT played beta. Those of you that have played beta, can you please elaborate on these topics?
  2. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

Re: No Skill Points? Please tell me your opinions

You're more or less correct.

It SOUNDS 'blander' on paper, but I find that in practice, Blizzard was right in that the feeling of customisation through skill-trees and attribute points was kinda superficial. It didn't take me long at all to embrace the current system. It's only downside is the interface, but the system itself is fine.

I was so worried that my characters wouldn't have a sense of identity, but I still find myself more attached to them than I thought I would be, despite the fact that I can freely swap my builds.
  3. kavlor

kavlor IncGamers Member

I just think about games like Castlevania that have lots of different attacks but they don't have levels and think how it's fun in that game.Then think Diablo 3 is doing this except with more aspects and combinations.Yes Castlevania is a different game but the fun of killing enemies in different ways is there.Also theres lot's of feedback when you actually attack an enemy,you don't just stand there attack and enemies disappear,they get thrown about and your character moves about in different ways.
  4. Ixnatifual

Ixnatifual IncGamers Member

Correct.

Yes, if they pick the exact same skills and runes.

Yes. The "only" difference is skills, level and gear.
  5. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

the difference is runes and items. after playing with the skill calc for some time it looks like for the most part each skill has a few good runes that can be a viable part of a build.

no attribute points is not a big deal imo. it was never a fun feature nor did it make people different. i was against lack of skills points for ever but then realized i would have just put the skills points into the 6 skills i was using and if i respec i would just put them in those 6, really no different than what we have now. i guess they could have made it where you did not have enough points to maximize all 6 skills but then every build would include at least 1 point wonder to maximize the remaining skill points which would eliminate possible builds.

the D3 system reminds me a lot of the GW system and it works imo. also skills being based on weapon damage is nice. was another thing i was iffy on until i tried it
  6. Kblavkalash

Kblavkalash IncGamers Member

You would max every useful skill anyways, so there is no need for skill points.
  7. yovargas

yovargas IncGamers Member

I feel the opposite. I was indifferent towards it till I saw it in action. Now it might be my least favorite idea in the whole damn game. More lazy, unimaginative solutions. Ugh.

8. Apocalypse

this actually allows casters to gain something from socketing weapons though. so many useless mods to a sorc in d2, now all those "useless" damage or IAS mods are helpfull.
  9. RazeBarb

RazeBarb IncGamers Member

Right now it looks like the items will make the only (yet huge) difference.

I think someone mentioned that a lvl 60 char without any gear would have around ~1000 HP, but the highest health potion heals for over 12k HP.
    And that's cool! Diablo is all about the items.
  10. Soval

Soval IncGamers Member

It was the same way in D2. Allocation of stat points and skill points was not what distinguished characters in that game, it was what skills you chose, what strategies you employed in using those skills, and, to a much lesser extent, what gear you had.

There have been a lot of improvements in D3 in that regard. Gear matters now to spell casters, and all classes will need to roll better equipment to fine tune their builds and advance through the game; there are no more one-point-wonders, no more point hoarding, and no more relying on only one or two skills as your only source of damage; Runes and Passives greatly expand your skill choices and strategies; stats are now useful and needed; and you aren't locked in to a bad build because you misspent points and forced to re-roll.

Points aren't what make or break character customization.
  11. SteveG

SteveG IncGamers Member

You are correct. Blizzard WANTS you to hit the RMAH to get the character differentiation/customization you seek.

12. Kizwik

Kizwik IncGamers Member

and to clarify for me...everyone of the class gets ALL the skills? and whenever you want, you can just re-pick what you can use at will?

or for example..

you can only pick certain skills, and for the rest of the game...those are the only ones you may choose?
  13. Mage Slayer

Mage Slayer IncGamers Member

As you level you unlock access to all your class' active skills, rune variants and passives which you can switch between at will. The last ones unlock at level 60.

However after changing a skill outside of town there is a fifteen second cooldown during which you cannot use that skill (or the one it replaces). Also the Nephalem Valor system (which kicks in at level 60) is designed to reward not swapping skills by giving a magic find buff when you kill elite packs that disappears if you switch skills.
  14. yovargas

Yes. You can put any 6 skills on your "action bar" whenever you want once you get it. The only restriction is a brief 15 second cooldown when swapping out skills.

15. snowcatcher

snowcatcher Banned

I will start answering from your last question. No beta access players cannot answer this questions coz the only bonuses that items have are dps, stats, mana and life related in the beta. Once we get in night/hell/inferno weapons bonuses will be skill related also. There will probably be smth like increases x spell dmg by 20%. Builds will be more equipment dependent rather than character's lvl.

16. Apocalypse

imo they have done a good job making more interesting skills. i have built a few of each char already that i think will work. of course we will have to see come inferno but i think its very likely that if you join a game as a wizard with 2 other wizards already in game you will all have different skills (some overlap of course, like teleport)
  17. yovargas

One of the things I'm pleasantly surprised by - all of the movement skills are quite good and useful but I think they've balanced all of them in a way that they aren't SO useful that they feel like must-haves. I believe the Wiz will do just fine without TP.

18. Hideo

Hideo Banned

I wonder what will be the price balance between weapons and armor. Lets see, if I get a great weapon... most of my skills get more powerful. If I get a great armor... I get better damage reduction. I expect good weapons to be worth at least 1000 times more that good armors. Great game design, no? XD
  19. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

You are just grasping for straws now Hideo.
  20. Hyliangod

Hyliangod IncGamers Member

Now? When has he not been grasping for straws? >.>