Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

New York Times = Wikileaks to the Republician leadership?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BobCox2, Jul 24, 2012. | Replies: 13 | Views: 1722

1. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

[h=2]Why the WikiLeaks Grand Jury is So Dangerous: Members of Congress Now Want to Prosecute New York Times Journalists Too[/h]

For more than a year now, EFF has encouraged mainstream press publications like the New York Times to aggressively defend WikiLeaks’ First Amendment right to publish classified information in the public interest and denounce the ongoing grand jury investigating WikiLeaks as a threat to press freedom.
    Well, we are now seeing why that is so important: at a House Judiciary subcommittee hearing on July 11th, some members of Congress made it clear they also want New York Times journalists charged under the Espionage Act for their recent stories on President Obama’s ‘Kill List’ and secret US cyberattacks against Iran. During the hearing, House Republicans “pressed legal experts Wednesday on whether it was possible to prosecute reporters for publishing classified information,†according to the Los Angeles Times.
    In addition, the Washingtonian’s Shane Harris reported a month ago that a “senior†Justice Department official “made it clear that reporters who talked to sources about classified information were putting themselves at risk of prosecution.â€
  2. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

While Assange is filthy communist scum, I always have a problem here. Just because he only discloses stuff to hurt one side doesn't mean a gag order should be considered. In like fashion, just because Obama is hiding behind illegal use of Executive Privilege regarding Fast & Furious doesn't mean that Nixon somehow was legitimized for hiding behind it during Watergate (before it was truly illegal).
  3. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Our opinions match pretty well here, surprisingly. As soon as something is known to the press, it's like being known to everybody. If you allow the state to make gag decrees, it will be the end of freedom of press and freedom of speech. the government can try to appeal to the media not to reveal critical information at the wrong time (which happened e.g. when a German newspaper found out that the GSG9 was on their way to liberate the hostages of a hijacked airplane in Mogadishu 1977).

You cannot trust politicians about it, there's always more than enough which people in positions of power are tempted to sweep under the rug. Even if they are really honest, they are in their ivory tower and might not notice, don't want to notice or pretend not to notice that there are people who will read their lips or just guess about it and then do the worst things to achieve them, in order to secure the rulers' power and thus their own position.
  4. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Yeah, that's where I mentioned having a problem. The NYT repeatedly went out of their way to castrate the Bush administration regarding Iraq, but in more than one instance they actually put soldiers' lives (to say nothing of the national interest) at risk. Thing is, if Bush had been more like Obama, he would have locked the NYT out, and that would have damaged freedom of the press just as badly as a gag order.

5. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Can't find the old wikileaks thread so bumping this here

Edit S-Hit! - Der=0

Ok Close this and if you can find the old wikeleaks thread I was looking for and gave up on (ways more post than this move my post or PM me if not meh close and I will make a new one
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  6. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Bob, you made no sense whatsoever there. Don't ever change.

That video is based on a fundamentally false presumption - that Wikileaks is somehow doing good deeds because the media doesn't release as much information as Assange has. In reality, Assange is an evil little commie Murtha-farker who delights in destroying Western civilization, destroying lives, and hurting people. The media, OTOH, plays by the rules generally, and have a civic duty not to endanger society. The perfect example was when Assange's crew, probably members of or abetted by Anonymous, frequently release personal information about police officers specifically in order to endanger their lives.

That's not the issue under discussion here. There are definitely both secrets that don't need to be kept, and secrets that are kept for unethical and illegal reasons. The former costs an incredible amount of taxpayer money, and are kept simply on the basis that the agencies want to maintain status quo even if they don't really need to (I have a direct, personal understanding of this problem). The latter, however, is IMO far more malevolent, where secrets are purged or released for purely political or personal reasons (the Times citation implies the former is actually of the latter variety). I hardly need to provide examples, given the current administration's "most transparent EVAH!!" activities, and what makes it so much worse is that the media is generally complicit in slanting the coverage regarding such activities.
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  7. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

The last thread that had the title change to append Der=0 to it was closed due to Technical Problems. I expect the same on this one.
  8. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Ah, now I get it. I must not be paying enough attention.

I wonder if one of the Mods could use their super powers to change the title appendage from "Der=0" to "Derp"?
  9. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

OK, removed.

Seems to ba a remnant from a recent forum hacking attempt which added weird appendices to thread titles.
  10. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

What, you couldn't change it to "Derp"? I'm very disappointed.
  11. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Julian Assange unlikely to be charged in US

The Justice Department has all but concluded it will not bring charges against WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange for publishing classified documents because government lawyers said they could not do so without also prosecuting US news organisations and journalists, United States officials say.
    The officials stressed that a formal decision has not been taken and a grand jury investigating WikiLeaks remains impanelled, but they said there is little possibility of bringing a case against the Australian, who has sought asylum in the Ecuadoran embassy in London, unless he is implicated in criminal activity other than releasing online top secret military and diplomatic documents.
    The Obama administration has charged government employees and contractors who leak classified information - such as former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden and former Army intelligence analyst Bradley Manning - with violations of the Espionage Act.
    But officials said that although Assange published classified documents, he did not leak them, something they said significantly affects their legal analysis.
    Advertisement
    "The problem the department has always had in investigating Julian Assange is there is no way to prosecute him for publishing information without the same theory being applied to journalists," former Justice Department spokesman Matthew Miller said.
    "And if you are not going to prosecute journalists for publishing classified information, which the department is not, then there is no way to prosecute Assange."
    Justice officials said they looked hard at Assange but realised that they have what they described as a "New York Times problem". If the Justice Department indicted Assange, it would also have to prosecute the New York Times and other news organisations and writers who published classified material, including The Washington Post and Britain's The Guardian, according to the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss internal deliberations.

That 1st amendment stuff is such a pain huh jmervyn
  12. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

I already made my support of this clear, both here and under the thread regarding Mr/s "Chelsea" Manning.

So go derp yourself.

[​IMG]

EDIT - the gods of Derp keep casting my images into the pit of 404...
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  13. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Herp U !
    :D

Deserved the Bump calling U on it.
    U Republician leadership figure U

You let them set the agenda.

14. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Huh? Calling me on... agreeing with you? Er, ok, I'll make sure I'm never that stupid again?

Furthermore, how is this a GOP-exclusive problem, and how am I suddenly supporting their hypocrisy? Manning's treason occurred during the Obama admin, as you'll recall, and the question of prosecuting Assange is an Obama DOJ issue... This is a bipartisan problem - only truly stupid people don't recognize that the Progressive desire for Statism does not recognize party lines.