Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

New? Wizard build

Discussion in 'Wizard' started by NightCraweler, Feb 3, 2013. | Replies: 6 | Views: 2255

1. NightCraweler

NightCraweler IncGamers Member

I'd like to start by saying that I don't like the gimmicky nature of the frost nova+cm combo most wiz use now. This setup actually function better is mobs move a little will help get them where you want them. I was comfortable in mp8 and often got 900k crits with 150kdps unbuffed dps and ~250% chd. My profile I don't always use this skill set so my stats do change.

The concept is to use slow time and wave of force to keep enemies where you want them for meteor while limiting time in melee range. Slow time with extra damage works very will in combination with

My skill choices and why.

-Meteor-Comet
    It's cold damage plus it's wake make it really effective in bubble in solo play.
    -

-Slow Time
    Time Warp- I prefer 20% damage because this makes life steal more effective with meteor which is the highest %damage spell. Also use this if your dps is low.
    Stretch time-Standard CM wiz will love this one especially if it help with a break point.
    -Teleport: Calamity I use this for it's wave of force and with added mobility which helps puts them where you want them. If you aren't using cm try Wave of Force: Forced Infinity to reduce cooldown on your knock back.
    -Could really use any tele rune. I personally feel tele is broken due to the fact you can only effectively use it in combo with CM and a good Occy.

-Shock Pulse-Living Lightning good freebie spell to get ap and proc cm if you use that. Think of this spell like a free version of ET

-Magic Weapon-Blood Magic for extra dps and some life steal that works well with comet.

-Energy Armor-Force Armor
    Since I occasionally getting in mobs' faces is helpful to prevent the 1 hits that can happen in high mp. If you want to do low mp Lightning: Scramble is a better choice.

-Passives(these are flexible)
    -Critical Mass(more frequent bubbles and wof/tele)
    -Cold Blooded(nice off sheet dps boost with comet)
    -Galvanizing ward
    -Arcane dynamo(another off sheet dps boost due to alternation of comet and living lightning).
    -Evocation(if you are low on chc)
    -Conflagration(if you use a fire meteor)

Note: This is a very micro-intensive build if you know the term from RTS games, so it shines most with good coop play. Will not function well in a dysfunctional party.

For those that depend on Nova: The key skills work with frost nova just not if you perma freeze. Though if you were to do this i think you would do better with a standard cm build.

PS: I will continue to edit as the thread continues and as I try different things.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  2. Speedster

Speedster IncGamers Member

I agree that the freeze lock is gimmicky -- also hurts your fingers and is boring.

I'm also using meteor/comet with cold-blooded passive, but using frost nova instead of slow time -- don't you give up a nice potential damage bonus by freezing everything before you hit with shock pulse (or in my case spectral blades)? I like to teleport into a pack, freeze, drop meteor/comet and then hit with blades.

Not sure spectral blades procs all that well, because the reset to frost nova can take a few seconds.
  3. NightCraweler

First slow time slows very well especially combined with cold from comet. Also with time warp I still get the 20% damage bonus because I drop comet inside the bubble, then after the first hit when cold blooded kicks in I get a total 40% bonus while they remain in bubble. And as another bonus slow time just simply lasts longer so I rarely lose bubble exept recast. Wave of force is very effective at keeping them inside of bubble especially if you use the teleport version. Yes I feel this combo is worth losing frost nova for.

I started with with slow time and wave of force. I tried comet because I like cold blooded and noticed the synergy with former two spells. Then after noticed the ap cost of comet I decide to use living lighting which is basically a free version of tornado.

Edit: Also notice I didn't mention diamond skin.
  4. snurrfint

snurrfint IncGamers Member

Slows don't combine in d3 (sadly), the monsters receive the highest slow of all the effecting slows. Still a pretty good build for higher MP levels I'd say.
  5. NightCraweler

Thank you pointing that out I wasn't entirely sure if the effects stacked for a super slow. However, they do work well together because comet keeps them slow during recast and repositioning. I also use comet to proc coldblooded though this could easily be replaced with a fire rune and conflag. Finally, this setup is very flexible and I'm still experimenting with it myself.
  6. NightCraweler

*note about blizzard* This guide build may turn into an 07 bliz build depending on how effective blizzard will be for different circumstances.
  7. NightCraweler

I just got off ptr and I love the changes to bliz. I was 1 hitting most mobs in mp5 with meteor. I especially like the apoc bug fix with blizzard, this made a much bigger difference that I expected and I have high apoc. That combined with the increased skill dps I think bliz will finally be a viable spell for harder content.
    *note* I will update this after 07 goes live. So the current info is viable in .0.6 and should remain viable in .0.7.