Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

New Waypoint System = No Progression

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by cjengel, Apr 24, 2012. | Replies: 51 | Views: 3792

1. cjengel

cjengel IncGamers Member

New Waypoint System = No Progression

I played the open beta this weekend and played Diablo 3 for the first time. I was immediately hooked, as the feel was similar to D2 and I actually enjoyed the skill system/rune system that I was previously skeptical of. I do feel, however, that Blizzard's new questing style and waypoint system is much worse than it was in D2, just hear me out...

The way the system currently works, is that you cannot use waypoints that you've previously discovered to get to further locations in the game, if you begin a game on a previous quest. Now Blizzard has argued that this is an intentional feature to prevent people from using waypoints to exploit boss runs. Blizzard is being very hypocritical when it makes this argument because they continue to stress that Boss runs are not the most lucrative way to get the best item drops. Why then?...Must you prevent characters to way pointing to areas closer to boss encounters? Why do you feel the need to prevent characters from doing boss runs, if what you say about it being inefficient is true? So basically waypoints are useless, and I lose the feel of exploration and progression when I find them. You can find them, but it won't remember that you found it if you start a game on a previous quest? I am not a fan of this iteration. What are your thoughts?

2. cozmiccc

cozmiccc IncGamers Member

Re: New Waypoint System = No Progression

Geez... people will complain about anything...

I don't see a problem here, and more likely after release people will forget about this too. It's ideal and makes more sense to start the quest from beginning, not the just the end part, and you gain better loot this way too... so what's the problem? You can't wait to see SK again?
    Why do you want to be that close to the boss encounter in the first place?

3. Dahmer

Dahmer IncGamers Member

Waypoints useless? Go to last waypoint, kill some rare mobs, leave game, make new game, go to last waypoint, kill some rare mobs again...
    Looks very useful to me :)

4. cjengel

cjengel IncGamers Member

I have more of a problem about the ability to go between waypoints freely once you've discovered them. I would want to be close to the boss encounter for the sake of doing boss runs, I don't want to have to redo the entire quest every time. I just don't understand why blizzard is trying to prevent boss runs, if they say they're not gonna be lucrative. And you don't gain BETTER loot by starting a quest from the beginning, you may get MORE loot but by no means better.

5. Amarules

Amarules IncGamers Member

Well done on totally missing the point. The reason bosses are a sub-optimal method of acquiring items is because they are no longer so easily accessible. Dont you think if people could waypoint farm a boss they would.

The idea is that in general champion packs give more items / unit time and so in general are more lucrative while allowing a player to do good magic finding in almost any area of the game.

Bosses are still worthwhile provided you have stacked Nephalem Valor, but Blizzard are deliberately impeding endless boss runs as they dislike that style of play. They consider it boring and dont like that it keeps players from enjoying the rest of the game. I happen to agree with them.

6. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

Blizzards wants to revamp the way players feel about running bosses. They want to shift focus away from bosses and towards the rest of the game. That's why waypoints are spaced evenly apart and you do not get one right next to the boss.

Even in the beta, there are more lucrative ways of getting gear than running the SK, yet most players still prefer to run straight to SK rather than kill all the elites along the way. People still have that boss=most loot mentality. Granted, he's one of the few sources of the highest-level gear at the moment, but this will not be true in the release game. If you were to make a new game and get to the last waypoint before SK instantly, then that "most players" would quickly shift to "all players".

7. RazeBarb

RazeBarb IncGamers Member

Does it make a difference? The first time on each difficulty you have to find the waypoint just like in D2.
    From then on, you have all waypoints activated up to the point of the quest you've selected.
    Sure, you can't just do the 1st quest and then jump right to the last boss TP, but that's not a bad thing.

8. cjengel

cjengel IncGamers Member

Well technically, you didn't have to find it in D2. Someone could drop a town portal at waypoints and you could get them that way, but I guess I see the reasoning behind blizzard. I need to get off that D2 mentality..

9. Azzure

Azzure IncGamers Member

The current quest/resume game/checkpoint system is brilliant. I fail to see any problem that isn't intentionally designed with the way this system currently functions.

They don't want people being able to waypoint right near a boss room, or key farming location.

10. snurrfint

snurrfint IncGamers Member

As soon as Blizzard say anything about the game no matter how unimportant it is, people will find things to complain about.

Who cares about how discovering waypoints feel?
    Who cares about how you identify items?
    Who cares about the color of different items types?
    Who cares about public chat channels?
    Who cares about tiny little details in the lore?

The important part of d3 is gameplay, gameplay gameplay and gameplay. (skills, itemization, runes, combat mechanics, monster behavior, crafting, balance, PVP, boss encounters, farming, replay-ability, trading)

All the other stuff is either of subjective nature, or to soon to even give a damn about. I'm sure that if waypoints doesn't work that well, Blizzard will change how they work in a heartbeat. It's not a critical matter what so ever.

11. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

waypoint system is much better in D3, no more stupid boss rushes and nothing else

12. Hideo

Hideo Banned

I prefer D2 system. It was simple and consistent. When I found a WP, I knew, I will be ALWAYS able to return to that zone on that difficulty. In D3 people will have to create different games for different quests, since switching zones will be cumbersome.

13. Raesene

Raesene IncGamers Member

In summary: It's different, therefore it's bad.

14. Hideo

Hideo Banned

In summary: IMHO D2 >>> D3. It's not "bad" objectively. It's just that I don't happen to like it.

15. Deckard Cain

Deckard Cain IncGamers Member

The change to the WP system also severely inhibits that whole 'rushing' phenomenon that some of you may be familiar with from D2.

16. cozmiccc

cozmiccc IncGamers Member

It's natural for people to hate change.... I believe that after you get used to it, you'll grow to love it too :D

17. tdro

tdro IncGamers Member

Although I still hold on to my old school D2 mentality and play-style, I believe the WP system in D3 is a step in the right direction by encouraging exploration of diverse areas and monsters. If it also reduces boss farms/hinders grushing/etc then it has served a twofold purpose by increasing the longevity of our beloved game.

18. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

At first, most likely there will be checkpoints and waypoints that can be used to farm Elites. The Cemetery of the Forsaken is a good example of this in the beta, since an Elite usually spawns there. Even if it doesn't you can just restart your game to try again, which takes 10 seconds tops. Of course this isn't the new system's fault, but Blizzard will have to be really careful where they put checkpoints and waypoints.

Start a game on the last quest in Act 4 and the problem is solved, since you'll have access to all waypoints in all Acts, except probably a few on the way to Diablo.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  19. jamesL

jamesL IncGamers Member

your post makes no sense

you say, "Who cares about how discovering waypoints feel?"

but you also say, "The important part of d3 is ... boss encounters, farming, replay-ability... "

all 3 of those things you say are important are directly affected by the waypoint system, so obviously waypoints are a critical matter

you can't say "boss encounters, farming, replay-ability" are important, but waypoints are not critical

that just makes no sense

I was wondering about this
    does anyone know if D3 is going to have that "feature" that D2 had (if you join too many games too quickly you will be temp banned for a hours)

20. maxpowerss

maxpowerss IncGamers Member

This could be a very stupid sounding reply, but I just wanted to make sure...

The OP is arguing that the lack of ease regarding boss rushes is now gone in D3. Which to be honest I am perfectly fine with, I always enjoyed playing D2 and if were farming I'd give my self areas to clear over a time period and once I was done I was done, ex) all of durance of hate, all of act 4 etc. Sure it would take a bit longer then just mindlessly running bosses, but i found it much more satisfying.

Anyway my question is, in D3 lets say I am on act 2, I make a game starting on Act 2, could I not go back into SK waypoint and kill him? Or would he not be there? This is similar to D2, where you could make a new game on a later act, and yes the previous quests would be completed but the bosses would be alive and waiting to die once more. Any advice on this matter would be great - thanks!