Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

New to Sorceress

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Sandow, Nov 2, 2012. | Replies: 4 | Views: 5617

1. Sandow

Sandow IncGamers Member

Hi, I'm new to playing the Sorceress, I've only really played as a Barb and Paladin (even that was a long time ago). I heard about the ladder reset and thought it'd be fun to play again. I want to roll Sorceress and was looking at possible builds. I saw the "Enchantress Build" and thought it looked fun.

I started a Sorceress just to have a play around and realized I need Strength to wear most of the gear in the beginning. I can't really remember, but do I find gear specific for Sorceress that doesn't require Strength? Also, the gear in the build I linked, does this not require more than 21 Strength? OR do perfect items have less requirements? Are those final stats due to a respec at having perfect items?

Should I stay away from this build as a first timer? I see a lot of people use it.

... then again I think I'm a bit clueless =/

Thanks for sparing time for a noob.
  2. tougeznut

tougeznut IncGamers Member

If you're just starting out I wouldn't choose such an expensive build. A well rounded build for a beginner sorc is a frozen orb/ lighting hybrid build. I'm using my phone so I can't link you the build, but if you search in this strategy section under Sorceress you will find plenty of builds. I'm not sure how long it's been since you've played D2, but you can re-spec your characters now. After completing the den of evil quest, Akara will allow you to reset your stats and skill points once per difficulty. Focus your sorc on using blizzard through normal and nightmare, and then once you get to hell you can re-spec for the orb/lighting build.

Have fun and I hope this helped.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
  3. Sandow

Sandow IncGamers Member

Thanks for your help and patience. I started to realize this was out of my league.

I'm starting to get the feel for it again.
  4. nolan16

nolan16 IncGamers Member

I would recommend starting with a dual element sorc such as: meteor/orb, blizz/nova, or orb/lightning; of those, I'm partial to fire/cold. Enchantress is more of a utility or novelty build and doesn't posses the sort of pvm power other sorcs have.

If you are playing untwinked don't hesitate to put some points in str as there are now respecs if you wish to change stats later. About ~60 str seems right for me unless I am going for a spirit shield.

Early gear to get:
    Spirit sword - most important (i picked up a crystal sword from norm cows and had Larzuk put 4 socks in it, but if you have access to one don't waste your socket quest; I play hc though and the sword was necessary asap).
    stealth armor/vipermagi/lionheart armor/smoke/ or 3-4x ruby armor
    belt - you can get 60+life from charsi as early as nm.
    rings/ammy - fcr, whatever you have (aim for 63 or 105 total fcr, also check your fhr breakpoints, you will need at least one more fhr source or charm, check google "d2 sorc breakpoints")
    magefists
    lore helm
    Rhyme/spirit shield/ancients pledge

From there work your way to upgrading to Tal's set (best budget dual element gear until you can afford things like Deaths Fathom and Griffons Diadem).

Edit: sorry, looks like I necro'd this, somehow it ended up at the top of my page.
  5. Flamme

Flamme IncGamers Member

Get a high dmg big 2h weapon or something. In act 1 I did much more dmg with that than with my skills, by the time you hit around lvl 18-20 you're spells becomes more powerfull than a melee weapon. ( the only spell I used much in act 1 was static field on bosses, like blood raven, the smith and Andariel) For strengh, I would reccomend 51 by the time you hit act 2 or shortly after, as it allows you to wear any armor you can buy or find in that act,. 63 is the number for act 3 unless you go for a shiled (and you should), then go for 75.

Put some points into dexterity now and then, so when you're useing a shiled, the block rate is the same as it says on the shiled, the rest of the points should go into vitality.

For gear, try to get some socketed item and Tir runes. It gives +2 to mana every time you kill a mob and if you got 2-3 of them on you it will really save you a lot of annoying potion hugging for the first 3 acts atleast and possibly even longer, depending on how mana intense build you choose.