Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

New to PC Gaming: Question about PC to HDTV

Discussion in 'Tech Support for Diablo 3, Battle.Net & Systems' started by Naraku, Apr 24, 2012. | Replies: 7 | Views: 1347

1. Naraku

Naraku IncGamers Member

New to PC Gaming: Question about PC to HDTV

Hey everyone,
    So i havent gamed on a PC since Diablo 2 and of course since Diablo 3 is soon to come out you know im coming back!!! Anyways i ordered a PC off of ibuypower.com and was about to order a monitor when i realized i could probably just hook up the PC to my TV right? So my question is, can you do that? lol. I have a Samsung HDTV 1080p 60mhz and the PC i ordered is an AMD-A series with an AMD-A43400 processor (2x 2.70ghz) and a Radeon HD 6670 1GB graphics card. Not sure if you needed that information even (as i said ive been out of the PC gaming for quite some time). So i guess my question is i know you need a cable from the PC to the TV but do I get a HDMI to DVI cable or do i get a different cable? The only reason i ask is because i noticed that my TV has a "PC" plugin on the back.
    I realize this is probably a stupid question i just want to make sure i dont order some cable for nothing. Plan on playing this game when it comes out and not setting up everything and then finding out i should have just ordered a monitor. If you need anymore additional info on the PC or TV let me know but can anyone help me out?

Thanks!
  2. Chaboi

Chaboi IncGamers Member

Re: New to PC Gaming: Question about PC to HDTV

The "PC" connection is going to be VGA which doesn't do a "high definition" picture. I'd recommend getting a DVI to HDMI cable and plug it in that way. The other thing to note is that the sound will not go out of the TV speakers because dvi does not output sound. Use your computer tower speakers or a headset.
  3. Naraku

Naraku IncGamers Member

Thanks Chaboi. I didnt even think about the sound issue so ill have to look into that. My plan was to be playing this using a wireless mouse/keyboard and having my PC just set up next to my TV so this might be an issue. Ill either have to get external speakers i suppose or a better sound card? Not sure if a better sound card really produces better sound out of the generic speakers, however. I wont be close enough to put on a headset i dont think.
    Thanks again!
  4. Buu

Buu IncGamers Member

The model graphics card has an HDMI slot, so if your TV has one too, it should work. If it does work, the TV should provide the sound required.

As for sound cards, generally you do not need them as they are now geared more towards audiophiles.
  5. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

The motherboard can also have an HDMI port tied to the APU's Radeon HD 6410D integrated graphics card, if your discrete graphics card does not have one.

Alternatively, you can get a DVI cable with an in-line 3.5mm sound plug, such as the ones here:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882750050
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882750062

You will only get 2-channel sound with a 3.5mm jack (like a headphones jack), but it does the job. I use a 50-foot VGA cable with an in-line 3.5mm cord to hook up my PC to my Sharp Aquos 32" HDTV on the other side of my room. It can only use a 1366x768 resolution, probably because it's a VGA cable, but it works and does the job good.

If you do not have an HDMI port and want more than 2-channel sound (eg. 5.1 surround sound or the like), you will probably need to get a dedicated sound card and an audio receiver for your TV, as well as speakers of course.

Though getting a surround sound speaker system for your PC would be a much easier and affordable solution, especially since you're planning on putting the PC next to the TV.
  6. Raging_Zealot

Raging_Zealot Diablo: IncGamers Member

Radeon HD 6670 has HDMI out, so just get an HDMI cable from that to your TV's inputs.
  7. Warmaku

Warmaku IncGamers Member

i use a dvi to hdmi and it puts out sound??? its worked liek that for me for the last 3 vid cards ive had for a span of 6years

8. Tilitoon

Tilitoon IncGamers Member

Yep, contrary to the popular belief, DVI can carry audio signal, in fact DVI is pretty much the same thing as HDMI except it has a different connector... The catch though is that the video card must support that option (output sound though DVI), most new video cards do, but the older models didn't.