Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

New Repair Cost

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Hideo, Jul 7, 2012. | Replies: 61 | Views: 3334

1. Hideo

Hideo Banned

As of 1.0.3, the cost of death related repairs has been multiplied. I wonder, what's the reason for it? Is it to curb gold inflation? I would have guessed that people who die the most, are those who are more casual, under-geared and poor. This change punishes poor the most. Meanwhile, all the bots got their scripts updated to prioritize survival, thus all the farmers are not really affected by this change. Am I making some kind of fatal mistake in my analysis, or the developers of D3 are completely clueless?
  2. FireIceTalon

FireIceTalon IncGamers Member

You are correct on all accounts.

The repair costs are Blizz's (failed) method of trying to create a gold sink and stop botters, but all it has really done is hurt people from progressing farther, especially in Inferno. I was strongly against the repair cost increases from the beginning, and still am.

Indeed, Blizz has no clue what they are doing, and if it were up to me, all of them would be fired and the Blizz North team would be back.
  3. Rashiminos

Rashiminos IncGamers Member

"Remember the Dead, but Fight for the Living?"

4. Doctor Clock

Doctor Clock IncGamers Member

I believe the reason was to encourage players not to die so much. People were running around in Inferno with 0 resist, 5k HP, getting one shot left and right, and what's more, many of them actually believed that this was the way the game was supposed to be played. If you are dying enough that repair costs are negatively effecting your income, it is the game's way of telling you that you don't belong in that act/difficulty.
  5. Hideo

Hideo Banned

I would gather, that if one has at least at least two working brain cells, one would realize that he doesn't belong in Inferno after getting one-shotted five times in a minute, no? You don't need a hefty repair bill to remind you about that.

IMO, this change is to create yet another HARD gear check and to increase value of armors, relative to weapons.

6. Ace_wanderer

Ace_wanderer IncGamers Member

Except it doesn't work and it's pretty obvious it wouldn't work. Do they expect people to farm Act 1 for weeks and weeks trying to find gear so they won't die. If you aren't a tank you will die to certain packs no matter what.

The developers have no clue what they are doing and the repair costs is just another problem they caused.

7. FireIceTalon

If that is indeed the case, it only further proves my point that Blizz is clueless. Raising repair costs isnt going to discourage dying, it is going to discourage the desire to even want to play. The fact you die in Inferno often, and that it is usually something beyond your control, is punishment enough. The repair costs only add on to these penalties, and there is no incentive to want to progress. My situation is a perfect example. I'm at Act 3 Inferno with my Wizard, but have no desire to really want to complete it right now, because I know I will be back at Act 1 farming gold for the exorbitant repair bills. Having to farm gold just to repair is completely absurd, not fun, and is just one aspect that proves D3's end game is garbage - and that this dev team has no idea wtf they are doing.

8. Muggs

Muggs Clan Officer - US West Hardcore

The changes had nothing to do with botters and everything to do with glass cannon builds. If you are playing and even dying once a champ pack you still end up ahead on gold from just playing. If you were a glass cannon throw yourself at the enemy repeatedly person with no hope of living while zerging an enemy down it affected you immensely. Repair costs have not made me relook at running a4 inferno and even dying in act3 in a group again it is a non issue. I 4man regularly in act3 which results in regular deaths and a lot of fun and we never go down in overall gold.
  9. Urzuxo

Urzuxo IncGamers Member

The gold costs for dieing were way too low before the patch, I could die 5 times and not really care. Now I care a bit. But in my opinion the repair costs for death is still too low, I don't really think "f*** sh** a**" when I die, more like "aaah nuts". (Yes I'm playing inferno)
  10. Doctor Clock

The things is, people were getting one shot five times a minute, and people assumed this was normal. There were threads and discussions concerning the fact that resists/vitality were worthless for ranged and you should stack nothing but damage stats. And with low repair costs, it was actually a successful way to progress through the game.

I agree that negative reinforcement is not the best way to fix a problem, and it probably was a knee jerk reaction because they didn't expect so many people to corpse hop through Inferno.

For those who think that death is a foregone conclusion in Inferno, you should check out how people in Hardcore gear/build. I think they know a thing or two about avoiding death.

11. buddah

buddah IncGamers Member

I think my biggest problem with the repair bills is the fundamental philosophy of the previous Diablo games that once you obtain a reward(an item) it's yours and you're that much richer, forever pretty much. I agree with death penalities and I see the reasoning behind hefty repair bills but they clash with this fundamental philosophy. Since you are turning items into gold in the Gold Auction House those items are turned into gold, and once you lose that gold to deaths you are essentially losing that item and losing the reward you got previously for grinding. It's not that you just don't get a reward but you start losing what you earned before. I couldn't disagree with this more, it's wrong in a Diablo game.

I would much prefer if death meant you had to fight the whole champion pack again in full health like the bosses, or some other punishment that makes it harder to get the drops, maybe hard to pull off technically I don't know
  12. lanceuppercut

lanceuppercut IncGamers Member

+1

i do feel that HC mode should be patched to pre 1.03 costs etc, why? HC has a perfect gold sink ..when the red globe runs out of the red!

13. KaoticSoul

KaoticSoul IncGamers Member

They have already said they are going to tone down the durability loss you get from fighting mobs. They may have already done so, but im not 100% sure on that. So that should help hardcore.

14. Virility

Virility IncGamers Member

No. There are multiple "gear checks" along the path this game forces you to travel. Beyond the fact a character is having trouble killing the trash mods,the most apparent is "rage timers" if you don't have the dps to kill the elite pack, or kill the boss in the defined time Blizz has felt appropriate then you are out of luck. Elite packs heal if you don't have another person actively fighting and even then if there is not sufficient dps output, they still heal.

Repair cost is not fun, you can go thru an an area, never die and still incur repair cost from.......what "item use, item decay, damage to armor that needs repair?" So poorly thought out and planned, there have been knee jerk "hotfixes" with reponses that are pointing out, "normal use cost of repair is much less than repair from death"....really? I am still not having fun.

It becomes glaringly apparent that there were two versions of this game and two different philosophies behind each one. The team that took over development ignored where the player base was coming from. One example-fast cast/attack rate. The second group is clueless. How so? Well do you think having IAS/ASI on a weapon of +18%, multiple amor and jewelery slots with similar +IAS values would not be used by players that play with and build characters with certain "break points" in fcr/ias? The second group had no clue. Look at Magic Find issue and how that is being "beta tested".

The second group did not develop attack modifiers, special effects, game mechanics, character use of gold, magic find or character skills from the beginning, but the second group is now discovering what the dynamic of those attributes are and how they impact game play and now the player base tossed in $60 for the chance to help the second team with D3 game development. No I am not having fun.

Repair cost is poorly implemented. To say that this is a way to encourage "players not to die so much" is wrong.

15. AlexanderBarin

AlexanderBarin Clan Officer - US East Hardcore

My repair costs per 30 min MF run are around 3k gold. I collect and vendor around 60k. And then sell 1-2 rares for 100k-1m. I think repair costs are quite fine.
  16. Doctor Clock

@Virility:

I agree with you about enrage timers. They are certainly not fun and are contrary to the freedom to do whatever you wanted at whatever pace you wanted that was so fun in Diablo 2. However, these gear checks are not astronomical to overcome. Having beaten Inferno, I can look back on the gear checks I thought were quite harsh at the time and I realize that not only were they not as significant as I thought at the time, but overcoming said gear checks made progressing through the rest of the game much easier and also gave for a wonderful sense of accomplishment.

As for repair cost even when not dying, all I can say is that I gained 100k gold playing through Act 4 Inferno for the first time just from gold drops and vendoring items. I even died a few times along the way. Like I said before, if you are dying enough that you are losing gold, you probably don't belong in that act/difficulty.

Yes, IAS should not have launched the way it did. That was a big mistake and there was, in my opinion, no good way to fix that would have made people happy since so many people had already spent gold on those items. The current magic find issue falls into that same category as well.

Repair costs are harsh, however I don't see a problem with there being a penalty to dying a lot in a video game. And while I said earlier, negative reinforcement is never the best solution, I don't know of a positive reinforcement for not dying outside of the fact that not dying is more fun than dying. You gain gold for staying alive a certain amount of time? Stacking all resist and vitality also gives you magic find? Without a significant consequence to death, I think many people would go back to corpse hopping through Inferno.

Whether or not the repair cost increase is a good encouragement was not the point I was making. I was merely stating that it is an encouragement to not die, as previously, there really wasn't one. Hopefully one that may be replaced/improved at some later date to something that is more fun and less penalty oriented.
  17. FireIceTalon

Increased repair costs do NOT, I repeat, do NOT discourage death. What they DO discourage is incentive to want to try and progress, because that is, after all, the object of the game. This is a very serious paradox that needs to be addressed ASAP. Inferno has a lot of mechanics that make death unavoidable, and the punishment for death to begin with is you losing time and banging your head against the wall when some cheezy pack vortexes you, then casts arcane sentry and chain freezes you. Then they punish you with exorbitant repair bills on top of that? Absurd. I could probably progress through Act 3 Inferno with my Wiz if the repair costs weren't so outrageous, but the fact concept of having to go back to earlier acts to farm gold for repairs is asinine.

And don't get me started on the enrage timers.....
  18. Artemis

Artemis IncGamers Site Pal

Until the repair cost increase, there was no real penalty for dying. Players were zerging through champ packs until they were all dead and collecting up NV in the process. It was cheez play to the max.

I'm glad they increased costs to curb this ridiculous behaviour. It could be worse, they could have brought back experience loss.

19. FireIceTalon

^^Completely disagree with all of that. Calling players cheezy in a game that cheeses the players beyond Velveeta is ironic. Firstly, if players want to "death zerg", I say let them. It is up to the players how THEY want to play the game, not up to Blizzard. They paid money for it, they can play it however they like. Secondly, if they dont want players to death zerg, then remove the cheezy mechanics and put in an ACTUAL difficulty instead of bs artificial, cheap-shot tactics, and people might actually play through the content then.
  20. marshmallow

marshmallow IncGamers Member

Death zerging is horribly inefficient anyway, since death can send you back 20 miles to the last checkpoint. Dragging them back to said checkpoint is also a waste of time.