Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

[NEW] Poll: Saving and Loading Builds in Game?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by GetMerked, May 6, 2012. | Replies: 22 | Views: 2745

?

Would you like to be able to save and load builds in game?

1. Yes, it would save me time and be a convenience.

20 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. Yes, but only if there were restrictions such as location or cooldown.

23 vote(s)
    33.8%
  3. No, I would rather change kills and runes one at a time.

25 vote(s)
    36.8%
  1. GetMerked

GetMerked IncGamers Member

This is a more effective Q n A for the poll found at: http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?828058-Poll-Switching-builds-in-game-quickly (Apologies for the double-thread) - I feel as though this poll will generate more specific statistics.

Question:
    Would you like to be able to save and load builds in game?

Answers:
    Yes, it would save me time and be a convenience.
    Yes, but only if there were restrictions such as location or cooldown.
    No, I would rather change skills and runes one at a time.

Why?
  2. Andy2702

Andy2702 IncGamers Member

Nah. It takes the purpose out of focusing on a specific build.
  3. Shucklezzz

Shucklezzz IncGamers Member

Yeah I am gonna have to say no, because then that is when people start running around with cookie cutter builds.. There would be a specific builds thats best for each boss.
    For now, hopefully it'll only be "Yeah, this is a pretty powerful skill for this fight because of the way it reacts against X mechanic" and everyone will use it for that certain boss..

Hopefully NV will fix that.
  4. jokewood

jokewood IncGamers Member

Anyone interested in this subject may be interested in David Sirlin's thoughts on the issue. I would recommend it in particular to those of you voting no, as he makes a well-reasoned argument to the contrary. http://www.sirlin.net/blog/2012/5/3/diablo-3s-ability-system.html

Part of the article is quoted below:
    He's talking about d3's new talent system as it is currently implemented, but I believe the same line of reasoning applies to the current topic of allowing players to "bookmark" specs for later use as well.
  5. Darkmere

Darkmere IncGamers Member

Just so we're clear, you are saying that 20+ extra mouse clicks will be the only factor in a player's decision to use cookie cutter builds or not?

6. Scorch Hellfire

Scorch Hellfire IncGamers Member

I would say yes, but with restrictions... Maybe reintroduce the Nephalem Altars to save and switch between builds and give use of it a cooldown. Also, 3 saved builds per character max.
  7. BellaStrega

BellaStrega IncGamers Member

Yes to saving builds. No to further restrictions beyond those that already exist for changing skills.
  8. AurelianZ

AurelianZ IncGamers Member

Which is exactly what the developers said they DON'T WANT.

9. Andy2702

Andy2702 IncGamers Member

Nope. They wouldn't have implemented Nephalem Valor if they wanted us to change skills every other second. Jay himself said people who played the demo at Blizzcon would just leave the skill screen open while they fought, and that's something they don't want.

The key word is "focus". They want people to focus on a specific build, but at the same time allow for flexibility.

10. Srikandi

Srikandi IncGamers Member

Much better worded than the previous poll, which I couldn't vote in because I didn't like any of the answers.

I voted for "with restrictions", but I don't feel too strongly about the restrictions, heh... since as others have pointed out, there are already restrictions on skill swapping. However I think it makes most sense to tie this function (if it existed) to the stash, so that you wouldn't have to keep your alt gear in your inventory... and in that case of course you have to be in town.

I agree that switching for zones/bosses is intended and part of the game design, so streamlining that can't be a bad thing.

We will never get it, though, considering they wouldn't even give us a weapon switch hotkey :p
  11. GetMerked

GetMerked IncGamers Member

Don't say never, Blizzard is pretty heavily influenced by the community.

12. Such Violent Storms

Such Violent Storms IncGamers Member

I don't think people understand that you would still be able to switch out skills one at a time. The old system doesn't magically disappear if build load/saves were allowed. This would be great to streamline switching between vastly different builds, like from Arcane Wizard to Cold Wizard, where you'd normally have to sift through single skills and passives for an eternity.

So yes, definitely yes, and with some sort of cooldown. 15-30seconds, whatever tests best.
  13. Xerios

Xerios IncGamers Member

I agree with Scorch Hellfire but it should also screw your Nephalem valor buff. But it would be nice to have 3 saved builds if you got bad memory.

Yes, with restrictions.

14. Raesene

Raesene IncGamers Member

How about this? You can't use it if you have any skill on cooldown, and when you do, it will put all your skills on a brief cooldown. Also, if you have a vapor buff, you lose it.

15. Wacken

Wacken IncGamers Member

Obviously, if im gonna have 1 char change builds for different purposes, please let me safe the builds. I immagine im gonna log into a game and then decide to do some gold farming for an hour. After that, maybe i will be farming some crafting materials in another area. And finally, i may want to spec my character to give it another try at inferno. I don't like the fact that we can respec without penalty, but if we can, then please let me just load the settings for the task i want my multi purpose character to do.
  16. brootusx

brootusx IncGamers Member

well said....

i was in the previous thread and read the whole thing and i am still to see a logical well thought out argument as to why this should not be a feature in the game.

im am honestly shocked blizz have not already implemented this.

We WILL all be changing our specs based on the situation this is a fact, how often is yet to be seen but it will happen and blizz has allowed us to do it with little penalty. If you agree with this statement and think this is a good feature how can you say no in this poll?

All that this build save / load feature will add is a faster more convenient way to do something that every one is going to do anyway! how can this be a bad thing?

after all we will all have saved builds the only difference is they will be saved in our head or scribbled down on a note pad.

It will have to be restricted so it cannot be used in combat, being able to switch in combat would be terrible and would completely change the whole game so i think the first yes option in the poll is redundant.

some have commented that adding this would give the game cookie cutter builds. I don't agree with this at all. The skill system allows for a massive variation of builds with most being viable so long as you cover all the basis by having a generator, a spender, a defensive ect. i think you really will be able to pick your spec based on what you prefer. for example i don't like the sound effect on hammer of the ancients so i might not use it too often and i don't think the game will punish me for this. whether or not a game is going to have cookie cutter builds depends on how well the designers have balanced a certain heroes ability's with all the OP skills making up the cookie cutter spec. having a spec save / load option will not affect the chances of having cookie cutter build in any way.

if the game designers allow for cookie cutter builds to exist via imbalanced skills then these builds will exist regardless of a quick change function.

TL;DR - if you said yes to the poll you are forgiven. if you said no, go back and read it and reply.

17. Zoltar

Zoltar IncGamers Member

I don't see why anyone would have a problem with simply being able to save/load specs. It's just saving you a bunch of tedium whenever you decide you want to change your spec. I don't recall if you can change spec in combat, but I suppose if you could do that, then it might be an issue. Say I have my normal spec, then I have my "oh crap!" defensive spec with skills like the WD one that makes you spirit walk and regen 20% health when a hit would have killed you. Now swapping specs in combat becomes a huge advantage, and that's not going to be good.

But if they can restrict spec swapping to out of combat, then I don't see any negatives.
  18. Raesene

Raesene IncGamers Member

Right now, switching outside of town puts the new skills on cooldown. Which means, if you were to press some "quick spec" button that changed all your skills while in the middle of combat, *all* your skills would be put on cooldown. This could be suicide at a higher difficulty level.

So I don't really see why people have an issue with this, the restrictions around skill switching currently in the game already prevent it from being abused in such a manner.

19. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

I love you man. :)

The answer is a resounding yes from me. I haven't heard a single argument against this feature so far that made sense. I get the feeling that many people don't really know how the current system works in practice.

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  20. ElementEight

ElementEight IncGamers Member

And what is such a "purpose" since we are allowed 100% customization? Your premise is flawed.