Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

New Hardcore Barb

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Hardcore Forum' started by tarvisthebarb, Oct 26, 2012. | Replies: 30 | Views: 3915

1. tarvisthebarb

tarvisthebarb IncGamers Member

Hi guys!

I posted a similar message on the battle.net forums, and didn't quite get the answers I was looking for. I have seen a smattering of threads around here that get closer to what I'm seeking, so I'm hoping you guys can help.

I've reposted the original bnet message below.

Hi guys,

After getting exceedingly bored in SC, I decided to try and reinvigorate my Diablo 3 experience by rolling HC. I've proved Blizzard's statistic that 60% of players die in Act 1 Normal, as I've lost two Barbs already.

The excitement is back. Hardcore is awesome.

My question is, what are some solid, concrete benchmarks other players have had success with? Does any of this account for MP? I'd like to play at 10 for awhile to level faster. I almost always play solo, because I only have one buddy who's still playing and hardcore still scares him.

Specifically, I want to know what EHP and DPS I should target for each successive boss (and the elites in the preceding section/act), from the Skeleton King on Normal all the way through Diablo on Inferno, in order to be as safe as possible.

Thanks in advance!
  2. Valeli

Valeli IncGamers Member

I don't really understand your question.

What does this mean? You're not using benchmark in a way I'm familiar with.

Does any of what account for MP, blizzards statistic? No, if that's the case, as it was information put out before MP was introduced. The basic reason people die at low levels tends to be carelessness imo, or a lack of familiarity with the class.

This won't help you with EHP or DPS much, but it will give you some Barb information pertinent to normal on HC. It won't help with MP10 either, as this was done before then. Basically, I played a terrible self-found build (before two handed weapons got buffed). I ended up wandering off into other projects after I got to NM, but it will provide you with the HP benchmarks I had for normal (just not EHP.... use your best judgement. It's not too hard to manage normal).
    http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?835630-The-Adventures-of-Vikhyat&highlight=vikhyat

Of course, this won't help you with nm/hell/inferno.
    Again, not concerning EHP or DPS specifically I tend to be level 30 when I start NM, 50 when I start Hell, and 60 when I start inferno. Since it's HC I'll always try to come up with reasonably good gear. Personally, I focus more on defense and HP than other people (my DH in inferno had a bit over 60k HP for awhile, until it got lowered for a much better DPS set up, but it's still fairly high). Basically in inferno I want 300 resist all for act 1, 500 for act 2, ~900 for act 3. I haven't personally finished act 4 yet. I'd want HP levels above 50k. The higher you can take it the better, of course....

How much DPS you need depends a ton based on MP. I don't play enough to have a character that can do it on MP10 (and even if I did, once you're in inferno, my understanding is that it's still much more efficient to use lower MP settings). Anyways, I'll let the people who have better characters answer that.

My general understanding is that in the process of leveling up to 60, you can play around MP6 quite reasonably with success if you're slightly twinked (if you're new to HC, you probably will need to farm up some money for that first). The post two or three bellow yours looks at that in more detail.
    http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?840853-Monster-power-for-levelling-pre-60
  3. tarvisthebarb

That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. If you divide the game into sections punctuated by each boss, I'm looking for the EHP/DPS I'll need to "safely" handle the elites in each section and the boss itself-that's all I meant by benchmarks. Thanks for your advice!
  4. Valeli

Valeli IncGamers Member

Glad to be of help, and glad you decided to try HC. It really is much more fun IMO. You should get your friend to join to. Sure you'll die now and then.... but the trick is to just not look at it as something to be scared of. It sucks when it happens, but makes the rest of the time much more fun. It makes your finds and accomplishments that much more meaningful too. And don't be too scared of public games. Sometimes you'll end up with poor players, but often they'll be good enough. And often, they'll be nice enough too (as many people joining pub games are doing so just to play with others, rather than to play most efficiently). I've met some good people in public games. I wouldn't want to run the infernal machine on MP10 with all of them, but I'm certainly glad to have them in my friend list.

Anyways, best of luck.
  5. tarvisthebarb

You posted all your stats, not just HP! That's perfect; I can calculate EHP and DPS with what's there. I just hope you kept going past Belial on NM...
  6. Valeli

Valeli IncGamers Member

Sadly (I suppose), I ended up not playing the game much for awhile at that point. I did come back (obviously) but now am just messing around on DH and Monk rather than any of my earlier barbarians. I'm sure you'll have a much better run of it though, with all the changes they made. I felt there was only one or two effective ways to play barbarian, which was fairly frustrating. It's not that they didn't work, it's that I just didn't like them. With the game as it is now, you have a lot more choices.

They've improved it considerably (which wasn't too hard given how it was released, but still...).

Anyways, as far as any useful info I can give you, Vikyhyat's journey was sadly placed on an indefinite pause at the start of NM Act 3.
  7. mesafalcon

mesafalcon IncGamers Member

Welcome to HC.

I started fairly recently too.

I don't think its possible for me to ever play SC again because, i'd rather just play another game than D3 SC (T2, GW2, POE - take your pick). But, HC, loving it. D3 is my main game again.

Its so much better than SC its unbelievable.
  8. tarvisthebarb

Well, I figure I'll update people on my progress.

I died in the Caverns of Araneae playing on MP10, so I have finally learned my lesson and turned off MP. It will stay off.

I am taking the advice I've received to heart, over-leveling and over-gearing. I'm level 11, and about to take on the Skeleton King. When I actually do, assuming I win, I'll post my own EHP/DPS stats in case anyone else comes along with the same questions I had.

I just smiled when I died. Of course, that might be because I was still in A1 Normal. I hope that I'm just as tranquil when, someday, I lose a level 60 in A3 Inferno.
  9. tarvisthebarb

The Skeleton King is down on Normal. I killed him very easily at level 11 with Frenzy, Ground Stomp, and Rend (with Ravage) for the adds. Ruthless for the one passive. My Templar has Heal and Loyalty, along with his default javelin and buckler. I'm using entirely self-found gear; a blue helmet with 23 armor and 2 strength; no shoulders; no amulet; 25 armor white chest; 21 armor white belt; 20 armor white gloves; 14 armor white bracers; no rings; 25 armor white legs; 24 armor white boots; a 56 armor white shield with 16% block chance and 13-18 block amount; and a blue sickle with +2min/+1 max damage and 2% IAS. Meanwhile, my stats are as follows, from the detailed DPS/EHP calculator at d3rawr.com (versus level 10 enemies, since the Returned in the Crypt of the Skeleton King are a higher level than he is [8]):

DPS: 22.78
    EHP: 837
    Life: 370
    Armor: 250 (33.33%)
    Strength: 42
    Dexterity: 18
    Intelligence: 18
    Vitality: 29
    Attacks per Second: 1.326
    %Attack Speed Bonus: 0%
    %Crit Chance: 10%
    %Crit Damage: 100%
    %DMG Increased By Skills: 0%
    %Elemental Damage: 0%
    All Resistance: 2 (5.3%)
    %Dodge Chance: 1.8%
    %Life Bonus: 0%
    Life on Hit: 0
    Life Steal: 0%
    %Block Chance: 16%
    %Melee Reduction: 0%
    %Ranged Reduction: 0%
    %Elite Reduction: 0%

Like I said, he went down EASY. I'll keep these up as long as I'm alive, more for the creation of benchmarks that work than any thought that this is interesting to all of you.
  10. spiffymcbang

spiffymcbang D3 Trade Moderator<br> America, USEast (D2)<br> Ne

11. tarvisthebarb

That's fantastic. Thank you so much.
  12. spiffymcbang

spiffymcbang D3 Trade Moderator<br> America, USEast (D2)<br> Ne

welcome. We have a few treasures over in the newcomer forum.
  13. tarvisthebarb

Queen Araneae is down on Normal. I killed her very easily at level 17 with Frenzy (Sidearm), Rend (Ravage), Threatening Shout, Revenge, and Ground Stomp (Deafening Crash). Nerves of Steel for the one passive. My Templar has Heal, Loyalty, and Charge, along with a 15 DPS blue Shiv and a 99 Armor, 19% block chance blue heater shield. I'm using entirely self-found gear; a white Leather Hood with 31 Armor; no shoulders; no amulet; 20 Armor, 7 Vitality blue Leather Doublet; 36 Armor, 15 Strength blue Harness; 23 Armor white Leather Gloves; 9 Armor, 1 Vitality blue Bracers; a 2% IAS blue Ring; 20 Armor, 5 Vitality blue Leather Pants; 26 Armor white Boots; a 101 Armor white Heater Shield with 18% block chance and 19-31 block amount; and a yellow Sickle with +2-3 Fire damage, 6 Strength, 2% IAS, and +4 Life on Kill, with 14.6 DPS. Meanwhile, my stats are as follows, from the detailed DPS/EHP calculator at d3rawr.com (versus level 13 enemies):

DPS: 27.3
    EHP: 1953
    Life: 644
    Armor: 399 (38.04%)
    Strength: 79
    Dexterity: 24
    Intelligence: 24
    Vitality: 54
    Attacks per Second: 1.35252
    %Attack Speed Bonus: 2%
    %Crit Chance: 5%
    %Crit Damage: 50%
    All Resistance: 3 (4.97%)
    %Dodge Chance: 2.4%
    %Block Chance: 18%

Araneae got facerolled, with me near maximum Health the entire time without having to pop a potion. Overleveling for the win.
  14. tarvisthebarb

The Butcher is down on Normal. I killed him at level 18 with Frenzy (Sidearm), Rend (Ravage), Threatening Shout, Revenge, and Ground Stomp (Wrenching Smash). Nerves of Steel for the one passive. My Templar has Heal, Loyalty, and Charge, along with a 16.5 DPS white Short Dagger and a 107 Armor, 18% block chance white Heater Shield. I'm using entirely self-found gear; a blue Coif with 36 Armor and 8 Intelligence; a blue Leather Mantle with 46 Armor and 2 Vitality; no amulet; a 20 Armor, 7 Vitality blue Leather Doublet; 29 Armor, 8 Vitality blue Warrior Belt; 31 Armor, 10 Vitality, 3 IAS blue Hide Gloves; 28 Armor, 1% Critical Chance blue Bindings; a 2% IAS blue Ring; a 10 Vitality blue Ring; 34 Armor, 11 Vitality blue Hide Breeches; 35 Armor, 6 Vitality blue Heavy Boots; a 98 Armor, 10 Vitality blue Heater Shield with 15% block chance and 19-31 block amount; and a white Carver with 18.3 DPS. Meanwhile, my stats are as follows, from the detailed DPS/EHP calculator at d3rawr.com (versus level 16 enemies):

DPS: 31.76
    EHP: 3672
    Life: 1178
    Armor: 525 (39.62%)
    Strength: 61
    Dexterity: 25
    Intelligence: 33
    Vitality: 107
    Attacks per Second: 1.596
    %Attack Speed Bonus: 5%
    %Crit Chance: 6%
    All Resistance: 4 (5.1%)
    %Dodge Chance: 2.5%
    %Block Chance: 15%

The Butcher was an easy kill, with me near maximum Health the entire time without having to pop a potion. I made a point of dodging the charges and overhead smash, as well as the fire pits, but I tanked his other moves and was just fine.
  15. tarvisthebarb

Maghda is down on Normal. I killed her at level 22 with Frenzy (Sidearm), Furious Charge, Threatening Shout, Revenge (Vengeance is Mine), Ground Stomp (Wrenching Smash), and Earthquake. Nerves of Steel and Inspiring Presence as the passives. My Enchantress has Forceful Push and Powered Armor, along with a 22.6 DPS white Dervish, a 2 Vitality blue Ring, and a 7 Intelligence blue Ring. I'm using entirely self-found gear; a blue Coif with 41 Armor and 8 Intelligence; white Shoulder Guards with 66 Armor; a 12 Dexterity blue Amulet; a 58 Armor, 22 Vitality blue Chain Mail; a 34 Armor, 8 Vitality blue Harness; 31 Armor, 10 Vitality, 3 IAS blue Hide Gloves; 29 Armor, 17 Vitality blue Bindings; a 10 Vitality blue Ring; a 17 Vitality blue Ring; 34 Armor, 11 Vitality blue Hide Breeches; 35 Armor, 6 Vitality blue Heavy Boots; a 98 Armor, 10 Vitality blue Heater Shield with 15% block chance and 19-31 block amount; and a white Mace with 23.7 DPS. Meanwhile, my stats are as follows, from the detailed DPS/EHP calculator at d3rawr.com (versus level 18 enemies):

DPS: 43.16
    EHP: 5805
    Life: 1744
    Armor: 694 (43.54%)
    Strength: 73
    Dexterity: 41
    Intelligence: 37
    Vitality: 162
    Attacks per Second: 1.4317
    %Attack Speed Bonus: 3%
    All Resistance: 4 (4.96%)
    %Dodge Chance: 4.1%
    %Block Chance: 15%

Maghda was an extremely easy kill, with me near maximum Health the entire time without having to pop a potion. I essentially tanked everything, even her adds, and never had any problems.
  16. pigge

pigge IncGamers Member

tip is to buy a cheap weapon at AH with socket to get some good dps (also buy a red socked stone :))
  17. ThePotemkin

ThePotemkin IncGamers Member

I recently started rolling HC, so I've been in similar bucket to yourself. I played Barb from launch until I started doing HC at which point I went monk for something new. I made my first monk maybe 10 days ago, died at level 58 due to a bug (Dashing + 7 sided strike).

One thing I see people complaining about is making money. To me, this is COMPLETELY the opposite. I'm not rich by any stretch, but my level 60 gear was already purchased. After losing probably 2+ million in gear at death(not a lot, but for just starting it stung), I'm already back at it on my current monk. This time with 3 piece Cains.

If you want some basic suggestions in-box me and I'll toss you a few of the things I did to earn gear and hit level 58 my first time through. I was clearing MP4 easily prior to death, can't prevent a bug :/
  18. tarvisthebarb

Zoltun Kulle is down on Normal. I killed him at level 27 with Frenzy (Sidearm), Furious Charge (Battering Ram), Threatening Shout (Intimidate), Revenge (Best Served Cold), Ground Stomp (Wrenching Smash), and Call of the Ancients. Nerves of Steel and Inspiring Presence as the passives. My Enchantress has Forceful Push, Powered Armor, and Erosion, along with a 29.6 DPS yellow Yew Staff with 1-2 Cold Damage, 71 Strength, 2% IAS, and 2.6% Life Steal; a 2 Vitality blue Ring; a 10 Vitality blue Ring; and a 17 Intelligence blue Amulet. I'm using entirely self-found gear; a blue Arming Cap with 58 Armor, 18 Vitality, and a socketed Flawless Amethyst; a blue Leather Mantle with 35 Armor and 7 Vitality; a blue Amulet with 38 Vitality; a blue Chain Mail with 54 Armor, 30 Vitality, and a socketed Flawless Amethyst; a blue Braid with 58 Armor and 27 Vitality; blue Hide Gloves with 31 Armor, 10 Vitality, and 3 IAS; blue Bindings with 26 Armor and 27 Vitality; a blue Ring with 12 Vitality; a blue Ring with 17 Vitality; blue Faulds with 73 Armor, 25 Vitality, and a socketed Chipped Amethyst; yellow Chain Boots with 51 Armor, 19 Strength, and 23 Vitality; a blue Kite Shield with 17% block chance, 32-55 block amount, 158 Armor, and 34 Vitality; and a blue Flanged Mace with 15-26 Damage, 39 Strength, and a socketed Flawless Ruby. Meanwhile, my stats are as follows, from the detailed DPS/EHP calculator at d3rawr.com (versus level 22 enemies):

DPS: 95.06
    EHP: 14711
    Life: 3967.92
    Armor: 1095 (49.89%)
    Strength: 146
    Dexterity: 34
    Intelligence: 34
    Vitality: 353
    Attacks per Second: 1.236
    %Attack Speed Bonus: 3%
    All Resistance: 4 (3.85%)
    %Dodge Chance: 3.4%
    %Life Bonus: 8%
    %Block Chance: 17%

Zoltun Kulle was an extremely easy kill, with me near maximum Health the entire time without having to pop a potion. I essentially tanked everything, even his guardians, and never had any problems.
  19. slyraje

slyraje IncGamers Site Pal

I started playing HC recently as well, and have lost both a barb and monk at level 54.

With a decent weapon (you can find 2 handers pretty cheap) a lot of normal and nightmare will be a cake walk. When I made a new barb and monk, I ran through most of act 1 and 2 normal on mp10. I cut it down to mp5 and realized how much time i was wasting on mp10.
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  20. tarvisthebarb

Belial is down on Normal. I killed him at level 29 with Frenzy (Sidearm), Furious Charge (Battering Ram), Threatening Shout (Intimidate), Revenge (Best Served Cold), Ground Stomp (Wrenching Smash), and War Cry. Nerves of Steel and Inspiring Presence as the passives. My Enchantress, level 28, has Forceful Push, Powered Armor, and Erosion, along with a 29.6 DPS yellow Yew Staff with 1-2 Cold Damage, 71 Strength, 2% IAS, and 2.6% Life Steal; a 12 Vitality blue Ring; a 10 Vitality blue Ring; and a 17 Intelligence blue Amulet. I'm using entirely self-found gear; a blue Arming Cap with 58 Armor, 18 Vitality, and a socketed Flawless Amethyst; blue Shoulder Guards with 48 Armor and 18 Vitality; a blue Amulet with 38 Vitality; blue Chain Mail with 54 Armor, 30 Vitality, and a socketed Flawless Amethyst; a blue Braid with 58 Armor and 27 Vitality; blue Chain Gloves with 54 Armor and 26 Intelligence; blue Bindings with 26 Armor and 27 Vitality; a blue Ring with 19 Vitality; a blue Ring with 17 Vitality; blue Faulds with 73 Armor, 25 Vitality, and a socketed Flawed Amethyst; yellow Chain Boots with 51 Armor, 19 Strength, and 23 Vitality; a blue Kite Shield with 17% block chance, 32-55 block amount, 158 Armor, and 34 Vitality; and a blue Flanged Mace with 15-26 Damage, 39 Strength, and a socketed Flawless Ruby. Meanwhile, my stats are as follows, from the detailed DPS/EHP calculator at d3rawr.com (versus level 22 enemies):

DPS: 94.54
    EHP: 17780
    Life: 4149.36
    Armor: 1376 (55.58%)
    Strength: 152
    Dexterity: 36
    Intelligence: 62
    Vitality: 369
    Attacks per Second: 1.2
    %Attack Speed Bonus: 0%
    All Resistance: 7 (6.14%)
    %Dodge Chance: 3.6%
    %Life Bonus: 8%
    %Block Chance: 17%

Belial was an easy kill, with me easily over 50% Health the entire time without having to pop a potion. I essentially tanked everything, even his green explosions, and never had any problems.