Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

New computer for D3?

Discussion in 'Tech Support for Diablo 3, Battle.Net & Systems' started by CaptainG, Aug 25, 2011. | Replies: 120 | Views: 10933

1. CaptainG

CaptainG <a href="payments.php">IncGamers Site Pal</a><br>D

New computer for D3?

When D1 came out I built my first computer just for it. When D2 came out, I once again built a new computer *much to my wife's happiness*.

So here we sit waiting for D3 not really knowing what we will "need" to run this mass of software. I'm going to assume that most of us that troll the community for any and all info that we can get on D3 are computer geeks, I know that I am.

Now that D3 is here I decided *against my wife's attorney's advice* to build another new computer. (and yes I've upgraded 2 or 3 times since D2) I'm wondering what everyone else is doing and what you are putting together.

I went with a primarily red and black system with red lights to pay homage to Diablo, and I'll have to tell you, it turned out pretty sweet.

Antec Lanboy air Red/Black Case
    Asus Crosshair V Formula A3+ AMD 990FX Mobo
    AMD Phenom II x6 1100T Black Edition Thuban Processor
    Corsair Vengence 8GB DDR3 1600 (PC312800) Memory
    Asus ENGTX560 DCII OC/2DI/1GD5 Geforce (Fermi) X2 Video Cards
    Antec High Current Gamer Series 750W Power Supply
    Corsair H80 High Performance CPU Liquid Cooler

I get this all up and running with Windows 7 x64, get a back lit keyboard and am thinking about getting the D3 edition mouse, and realize that my 2 24" widescreen monitors *need* upgrading as well.

Visio 32" E3D320VX 3D TV/Monitor :smug:

Now that the video cards I'm running are in SLI and have HDMI output...this system is ready for the 3D aspect of Diablo 3.

So...what do you guys think....what are you doing to prepare for battle?
  2. FaeLiN

FaeLiN IncGamers Member

Re: New computer for D3?

I've been on a laptop forever, and to be honest I have no idea how compatible it is... but I recently came into possession of a projector, and so I am currently in negotiations over a new tower to play D3 and SW:TOR.

LOVE getting new computers :D
  3. GhostRidah

GhostRidah IncGamers Member

I bought a new screen 22'' and i'm still waiting for my new Desktop PC for Diablo3/SC2.

I'm not playing on a laptop because I hate to play on their keyboard, it's unplayable to be honest.
  4. StarEater

StarEater IncGamers Member

Those specs are overkill, but hey if cash is not problem, go for it!

Also, I would look into getting a Intel CPU with less cores, from my impression more than two cores, right now, is not used by many games. IDK, I need to look more into this.

For me I think my PC is ~4 years old now and when I bought it I grabbed low-high end gear. Radeon HD 4870 Toxic 1GB vid card, AMD 9950 4x core, 4gig ram, and it runs Crysis 2 at full specs just fine. (1680 x 1050). If you look at SC2 min or req specs they are rather low and the assumption of many is D3 will not require much more than SC2.

But if you need an excuse to buy a new system then yeah, your current system sucks and I would not even give it to my grandma to check email so buy that new system!!! =P
  5. Panopticon

Panopticon IncGamers Member

If you don't play BF3 on Ultra on that baby.... I will find you..
  6. durrem

durrem IncGamers Member

I'm leaning towards an i5 Ivy Bridge build for my diablo iii rig. I'm sure that as soon as AMD anounces Bulldozer release dates, we'll find out when Ivy Bridge is coming out hehe. In any event, I just got this nice little case for my diablo iii rig:

Storm Enforcer

The 1st gen core 2 duo system is getting a little long in the tooth...
  7. Namik

Namik IncGamers Member

Currently none of AMD processor is a match for Intel core i5 2500k (or i7 2600k) for games, even the strongest Phenom.
    Also Ivy Brigde won't come out this year (right now Intel aim for March 2012), before that there will be Sandy Bridge - Extreme, which should be on pair with new AMD Bulldozers.
  8. PreyingMantis

PreyingMantis IncGamers Member

I will be building a new comp but only because it has been 2.5years and that means it is time to build something new.
  9. maakshif

maakshif IncGamers Member

This is the rig I'm currently putting together right now:

CoolerMaster HAF X Blue Edition - with additional 200mm top fan and 80mm video card fan
    LGA2011 (Sandy Bridge E) - once released
    Core i7 Extreme 3980X - once released
    16+GB quad channel memory - depends on how much the motherboard supports - either GSkill Ripjaws or Corsair
    Crossfired Radeon HD 6990's
    Corsair AX1200
    Corsair H100 (assuming it fits) or full liquid cooling system on top of the HAF X cooling system
    Samsung MD230x6 - 6 monitor setup
    Samsung 470 Series SSD 256GB
    4x Samsung F3R 1TB HDD
    Looking at getting the Diablo III steelseries mouse
    Logitech G19 Keyboard
    Logitech z906 Speaker System
    Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series Sound Card

I'm actually building this because I've started doing a lot of video/picture editing and folding in addition to a lot of other programming and high computational tasks, so it's time to build a beast
  10. MrMegaProphet

MrMegaProphet IncGamers Member

My rig is a Dual Core 6600 (2,4Ghz), 4Gb RAM, GTX260 896Mb and a X-Fi Platimun. Of all these parts the weak point is definitely the CPU but i still manage to max out most current games since they are usually console ports with exceptions like GTAIV which is a port and still requires a much better cpu than mine.

With D3 i hope i can max out settings, but if additionally i could add anti-alias i'd be most happy. I don't know about that last part though. The isometric view probably plays on our part so the game's requirements shouldn't be much different to SC2 i think.

With SC2 i can do just that, Max settings and works normal, but i add anti-alias and i'll start noticing a slowdown.
  11. Cutwolf

Cutwolf IncGamers Member

Built my first computer in preparation for DIII (as well as a ton of other games, but Diablo is my true gaming love).

Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z mobo
    i5-2500k OC'd & stable at 4.7 ghz. Watercooled
    HD 6990 + HD 6970 (6990 watercooled and OCd to 925/1400)
    G.SKILL Sniper 8gb ram
    Cooler Master HAF 932 case
    Cooler Master 1000w Silent power supply
    Samsung 1 TB HD (will be adding an SSD soon)
    Filco MajesTouch Tenkeyless (Cherry Browns)
    Razer Naga mouse
    Astro A40 headset (will upgrade to that true 7.1 headset coming out later this year)
    AW2310 120hz Monitor
  12. Tilitoon

Tilitoon IncGamers Member

When you say you are "currently putting together right now", I hope you mean "currently looking at what parts to buy" and not actually building the computer without the motherboard and the CPU.

Anyway, this is what I will be using for D3 :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PBHwLKc7M0&hd=1

13. Cutwolf

Cutwolf IncGamers Member

You're going to leave the 6990s at stock cooling? It's going to sound like there's a lawnmower in your room.

14. maakshif

maakshif IncGamers Member

of course the system won't be physically put together without the motherboard and cpu, guess that wasn't the best wording to use

actually they aren't that bad...the ones I'm going to use are in my current rig that I'm going to turn into a server so the graphics cards aren't needed in it, but they really aren't that loud...more than likely I'm going to build a water cooling system though because I'm sure the temps of everything is going to be high even with the HAF X's great air cooling

15. Cutwolf

Cutwolf IncGamers Member

16. macdruski

macdruski IncGamers Member

get a mac... lasts forever
  17. Crudesash68

Crudesash68 IncGamers Member

I bought my current rig anticipating D3, but I think the current specs are at or below what you'll find in desktops at the local electronics stor; AMD Hexcore processor, 8 GIGS Ram, ATI 5570 1G card...I am certain I'll be perfect for D3, but I may upgrade my video card, I've never been perfectly happy with it, and as I look back, I wish I'd spent the extra $100 for the intel Quad core with Nvidia card :shrug: I bought it early in 2010.
  18. Cutwolf

Cutwolf IncGamers Member

So does a well-maintained, homebuilt or built-by-a-good-company PC.

I have a mac laptop and a pc desktop, and will likely be grabbing one of Apple's 27" cinema displays, so no Apple hatred here.

19. Glass

Glass IncGamers Member

Getting a Mac to game with generally isn't practical; Macs are expensive when compared to a custom-built with the same specs, and generally when someone is building a new PC for a game they want the highest specs they can get for their money.

Aluminum casing, glass screen and OS X are nice, but doesn't improve performance in games.

Get a Mac if you want it for something else (high quality material, UNIX-based OS with native versions of commercial software such as Photoshop and inDesign) and the ability to play Diablo 3 will be a good bonus.

(Sent from my 27" iMac).

20. mwhighlander

mwhighlander IncGamers Member

Waiting for Diablo 4!

Only ~10 more years, too! Cannot wait. :yes: