Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

New 60 Wiz - Lightning build, criticism needed

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Hardcore Forum' started by VagrantKing, Jan 10, 2013. | Replies: 7 | Views: 2295

1. VagrantKing

VagrantKing IncGamers Member

New 60 Wiz - Lightning Paralysis build, criticism needed

http://www.diablo3ladders.com/hero/fenrir-2588/us/30315496

http://diablonut.incgamers.com/skil...lX0IrUnVuZV9EKzIwODgyMysyMDg0NjgrMjI2MzQ4KzE=

I have not hit paragon 1 yet and still on act 1 inferno. I've ran most of Hell with this build. I just upgraded my items with the money I saved up and am doing well so far. I typically start with Hydra then spam Shock Pulse. Diamond Skin/Mirror Image when needed.

I have been debating two particular skills: Mirror Image and Ice Armor.

I've been liking Mocking Demise to go with the Stun theme. Maybe I can swap to Teleport or other defensive/offensive skill.

Storm Armor is great DPS and synergizes well with Paralysis. Ice Armor Crystallize is another I've been liking recently because of the large boost to DEF it provides.

What do you guys think?
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  2. VagrantKing

At Para lvl3 now and have just completed act 2 inferno.

http://diablonut.incgamers.com/skil...uZV9CK1J1bmVfRSsyMTgxNTMrMjA4NDY4KzIyNjM0OCsx

Some changes:
    - I changed Arcane Dynamo to Critical Mass. This turns out to be a no-brainer because living lightning hits so much that it allows me to have Diamond Skin and Teleport ready faster.
    - I changed Mirror Image to Teleport with wormhole because you definitely need a better escape.
    - I changed Ice Armor to Storm Armor with Shocking Aspect. Storm Armor synergizes too well to pass up and provides much needed DPS and range.

I have noticed that many people have attempted this build and believe that the stun proc for Paralysis is bad but I would argue that it works quite well. This build tends to shine when mobs are in a group because of alot of the lightning skills 'jump' to nearby enemies increasing the chance to Paralysis to proc. Even single enemies and bosses get stunned quite a bit.
  3. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

Always nice to see a non-standard build. When I pick up my Wizard again (lvl 54) I'll be sure to have a look at this build.

Keep us updated on your inferno progress, would be a nice achievement to finish the game with a HC wizard :)
  4. Rooms Of Ruin

Rooms Of Ruin IncGamers Member

Good to see another HC lightning wizard; it looks like he/she's dead though :(

Here's the build I've been running the last 10 paragon levels: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/RoomsOfRuin-1702/hero/29736261

She melts through a3mp0 with impunity (I never went back to beat Belial so it shows me still in act 2 doh).

A few areas we differ on:
    Regarding paralysis, I'll have to agree with the general consensus and say it's a totally broken skill. I realize the proc rate of electrocute is different from living lightning, but we're both running lightning hydra and storm armor. I used paralysis for 2 paragon levels and noticed it proc ONE time, and it came from electrocute. I never once saw it come from storm armor or hydra. It's just a massive waste of a passive from what I saw (never tried it with LL so I can't comment there). I subbed it for arcane dynamo and couldn't be happier. A cast of a five insight hydra hits for 60-70k per head with my current gear.

I used magic weapon/electrify for a while like you do, but the extra 5% damage from force weapon towards my hydra and storm armor is just too good to pass up. Plus I couldn't really see the cool effect with my forked lightning already spamming up the screen with electricity.;)

I don't use critical mass since I don't use diamond skin; it's just not my style to be the center of attention with a squishy class while playing solo. I prefer to alternate casts between mirror images/duplicates and teleport/fracture to give me 100% uptime of clones on the battlefield when needed. They soak up surprising amount of damage and allow for escape in those moments where things hit the fan. The most dangerous thing I've come across is being vortexed in to a nasty pack (tremors/HoP) of molten/frozen. Clones usually take the vortex for you if you position yourself right.

And since my run speed sucks, I sacrifice some dps on my storm armor for scramble.

But pretty close builds though. She sure is a lot of fun to play and takes me back to my D2 days.
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  5. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

WTF is that affix on your wand: "This wand finds your death humorous"?!. Or did you not find out yet :p
  6. Rooms Of Ruin

Rooms Of Ruin IncGamers Member

Unfortunately, my last wizard did find out. People prone to rage quitting should not use this wand in HC ;).

Here's a clip of it in laughing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNZPLgjH0GE
  7. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

Haha that's a pretty lame proc ^^
  8. VagrantKing

My Wiz did die this past Friday... I do plan on remaking with the same build soon

I was trudging along A3 and made my way to Fields of Slaughter. I ended up dying to a pack of Herald of Pestilence and an Elite mob of Spear Throwers (forgot their name). I popped Diamond Skin but the mobs made a perfect arc around me and all their attacks hit me all at the same time. It tore through my Diamond Skin and hit me so hard my character went back to lvl 1. In hindsight, I did not even use a health pot or teleport out because the damage output was so high it surprised me. (53k health, + 21k Diamond Skin, 400AR, 3000armor)

On a side-note, I did some Storm Armor and Lightning Hydra testing and they do proc stun from Paralysis.

One thing I learned about this build is that the range was one of its downfalls. This build pretty much excels and dies through Living Lightning. I'm thinking Piercing Orb would be much better fit to help with the disadvantage of short range.
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013