Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Nephalem Valor > Magic Find... MF is Broken

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Garaganga, Jun 2, 2012. | Replies: 16 | Views: 9810

1. Garaganga

Garaganga Banned

Hello,

I wanted to check, how does MF works...
    I used 140MF without NV buff and went to kill Zoltan Kull and he drop non of yellow in 10 games.
    When I have 0 MF and stack of Nephalem Valor (5) 75% mf I'm getting 1-3 yellow and 3-5 blues.

What You think? How does MF works in D3?
  2. Lowen

Lowen IncGamers Member

Jop, bosses are broken. It makes zero sense, but blizzard forces us to not farm bosses tis way and kill elites instead.
  3. Berwulf

Berwulf IncGamers Member

Bosses tend to drop 1-4 rares everytime with full NV buff. Maybe its a bug because you only get guaranteed rares on first boss kill in normal diff, dont know.. But with MF gear and 5NV stack you get pretty awesome stuff from elites/champions and chests.
  4. Snakefinger

Snakefinger IncGamers Member

The reason bosses don't drop as much is because people complained how Diablo 2 was nothing but doing constant Mephisto, Baal or Pindle runs.
  5. marshmallow

marshmallow IncGamers Member

And the problem is?
  6. Delvin

Delvin IncGamers Member

These drops are explained by how NV buff actually works. It doesn't just increase your MF, there's a hidden effect for bosses only that increases the quantity and quality of drops. You always get at least two rares with 5 stacks regardless of your MF (and something like 6-8 items total).

I don't think anyone gathered enough data to tell how much your actual MF from gear affects boss drops.
  7. Garaganga

Garaganga Banned

Here is Problem. I have gear 140mf and 38k dps. And when I go to boss without NV buff I got nothing.

NV => increase MF by 15% each one to 5 stack
    So in diablo 3 MF =! MF Is ****ing ridiculous
    How does 2 x 3 =! 6 ? No logic here.

NV does not tell you that it is only for bos it is mf and mf should be mf.
  8. ShadoutMapes

ShadoutMapes IncGamers Member

MF works just fine. Increasing a nearly 0% chance of getting a yellow from Kulle through MF will still result in a nearly 0% chance of getting a rare from him, however

One of the systems in the game which actually works. Which I guess is praiseworthy.
  9. Garaganga

Garaganga Banned

Thank You, for Reply, it have to be hiden, but should be explicable in game, because it is no logical.

10. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

It rewards running areas and finishing the run with a boss. I think it's a pretty good system.
  11. Garaganga

Garaganga Banned

System is Damn right. But I am not talking about sytem, but the description is wrong in NV and it is not equal to real MF.

12. ShadoutMapes

ShadoutMapes IncGamers Member

THe amount of MF is not important here.

Getting 140% higher chance of finding a rare item from someone who pretty much cant drop a rare item (or have a really REALLY low chance of doing so) means that you will most likely not get a rare item! No matter if you have 140% MF or 2000% MF.
    Killing a boss without NV stacks is pretty much like breaking a barrel - you can get a rare from it, but it is quite unlikely.

NV allows the boss to drop more items and substantially increase the chance of those items being rare - it pretty much change the Boss from being a Barrel to being an Elite pack :D
    Not through increased MF, but simply by the amount of NV stacks you have (seems to me that 5 stacks means that the boss roughly drops as many yellow items as 5 elite packs would do on average, but there surely are some equations in it)

Then your MF affects the chance of those drops being rare etc, however since the NV buff already makes it very likely that the items are rare, +MF might not do much of a difference here (If there is a 100% chance that an item will drop as rare, then extra MF logically cant increase that chance, though it should increase the chance of the item being legendary or set - though who would want it to be a legendary or set currently :p)

13. Garaganga

Garaganga Banned

Now It make sense for me Thank You. :)

14. redrach

redrach IncGamers Member

To summarize, MF doesn't matter as much as NV stacks when killing bosses, but MF is still important when killing elites as you collect those 5 NV stacks.
  15. starrise

starrise IncGamers Member

Nephalem Valor isn't JUST magic find. That's the point of Nephalem Valor.

Read what ShadoutMapes wrote for a good explanation.
  16. Catastrophe

Catastrophe IncGamers Member

NV works on everything, not just bosses. It has a very large and noticeable effect on bosses, but it affects jars and trash mobs too. Watch the piles of gold that drop.

My level 60 was helping out a level 18 character in normal when my friend remarked that I must've had a lot of MF because he had found two rares since I joined. But I had none, it's just that MF and GF are averaged, and I had multiple stacks of NV already.

The exact effect per stack is:
    + 15% GF
    + 15% MF
    Bosses drop items for one extra player.

So with 5 stacks you've got 75% of both stats and your next boss will drop 5 players worth of loot. (10 items)
  17. The Rockman

The Rockman IncGamers Member

Hard to tell need the info on colours of drops in case one and number of whites & greys in case 2 as well to run a check.
    It looks like the Nephalem Valor bonus items (5?) get a MF boost to blue level before any MF comes into play, but with out more drop info it hard to say for sure what going on.