Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Needs more tank builds, so here's a party tank that stuns stuff. d

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by ElementEight, Apr 11, 2012. | Replies: 15 | Views: 3062

1. ElementEight

ElementEight IncGamers Member

Needs more tank builds, so here's a party tank that stuns stuff.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WeYXgT!bVg!YaZccb

I'm planning to always play with a party, and we happen to need a tank. So, I figured, why not tank through crowd control rather than sheer bulkiness or life leech?

Stuff:

Frenzy stun vs. Bash stun: Frenzy generates a bit less fury (about 20% less), but deals about 20% more DPS. Since I'm not too concerned with fury generation, as the only spender is Shockwave, I went for damage. Also, a lightning bolt hitting stuff sounds sweet.

Assuming luck and properly lining up abilities, we get the following disables:

Stomp for 4 seconds
    Leap for 3 seconds
    Shout for 2.5 seconds (35% chance)
    Shockwave for 1.5 seconds (70% chance)
    Frenzy for 1.5 seconds (20% chance per hit w/ 75% extra attack speed, averaging to bash's 35% per hit)

Our defensive stuff, aside from disabling stuff:

Shout for 25% reduced enemy damage
    Though as nails for 25% more armor
    Nerves of steel for 100% of vit to armor

Offense; pretty limited, but we don't care all that much:

Quake for a bunch of damage
    Brawler, because it will have approximately 97.23% uptime
    Other stuff
  2. beingmused

beingmused IncGamers Member

Re: Needs more tank builds, so here's a party tank that stuns stuff.

A tank build without taunt is...strange. Here's what I'd do: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#bcXVgk!Veb!YcccYc Cleave is going to be better than Frenzy 95% of the time, and I'd rather have a huge slow (to keep mobs gathered around me) than a chance at a stun. Frenzy is REALLLY slow when the stack drops. If you're tanking then you'll be using a shield and a sword, which means earthquake isn't going to be nearly as effective than it will be for most barbs. Revenge will do you more damage AND it will be a gigantic self-heal, especially since you'll be taunting all the time.
  3. ElementEight

Not having taunt is made up by having an eternity's worth of disables. Frenzy isn't slower than anything else when its stacks drop. It just has "normal" speed, the same as bash or cleave or whichever other similar ability might have. While I have thought of using Cleave with the suggested rune as well, I was looking for a single target stun for bosses, since AoE isn't much of a concern, and nor is keeping stuff nearby given, again, as many stuns as we have. Frenzy fulfils this niche.

Again, the fact that I rely on disabling for bulkiness (with some of the lacks being made up by Threatening Shout, Tough as Nails and Nerves of Steel), I probably won't be going for a shield. It's not because you fulfil the role of a tank that you have to min-max your defense. After all, while disables are close to the best utility you can get, killing stuff still ranks #1 when sitting comfortably in a mob is no longer an issue. I'll probably be going for the biggest two hander I can find, with which cooldown-damage skills and Frenzy scale the best.

As for Revenge, it'd be a really poor choice given that, again with this idea, disables mean you're not taking any damage for however long they last. Onhit effects as well as healing lose their appeal.

4. Karpalo

Karpalo IncGamers Member

I don't think a tank barb can live without revenge. Nerffed tough as nails also looks pretty bad when you compare it to relentless which effectively multiplies your health pool to 120%. Also i think Bash with punish rune is better. Easier to build up and maintain.

That's some food for though.
  5. jamesL

jamesL IncGamers Member

with Threatening Shout, why did you choose Terrify instead of Intimidate or Falter

Terrify seems to work against Brawler and Frenzy
  6. ElementEight

Movement slow isn't that appealing when stuff doesn't move in the first place. Nor is attack speed reduction when stuff doesn't really attack either.

I'm aware it works against brawler. The idea is to cast it last in the rotation (as every other stun possibilities are used) as to maintain it as long as possible and benefit from t he 25% reduction for as long as possible (why reduce stuff that's stunned?); it's countersynergetic, yes, but not THAT bad. I still find it overwhelms other rune choices for intimidating.

The idea is to keep stuff stunned, so that you never come into a situation where you'd take enough damage to get into relentless range, and where you won't take enough hits to proc revenge in meaningful amounts. The reason for tough as nails and nerves of steel are "for those times", but the idea is still to avoid said times through control.

7. PlagueofToads

PlagueofToads IncGamers Member

ol'old :)))))))
  8. djxput

djxput IncGamers Member

liked your build - Im going to make a tanky build also - mainly for HC play thou as focus ... atm Im focusing mine on armor and debuffs yet still able to do decent damage (since I will probably be doing it solo for a bit) ...
    havnt thought about using stuns more ... might work thou.

problem is there are only so many skills and I have pretty much 5 required skills and only 1 6th to play with well might be able to change 2 skills.

9. Jaago

Jaago IncGamers Member

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#bVXgiT!cba!YcaYab

This is my take on a tanky barbarian.

Cleave is the main damage dealer, With all the damage buffs it does 242 weapon damage per hit, which I find sufficient for single targets as well.

Provocation Revenge is invaluable as I don't plan to avoid taking hits.

Leap with Iron Impact is a decent source of additional armor, and a movement skill.

Threatening Shout Demoralize is great in group play, I'd change the rune for something else if going solo.

Marauder's rage is a sick damage buff, and offense is a good form of defense as well.

Earthquake helps a lot in the toughest situations. Runed for no fury cost.

Battle Rage is a huge damage buff with a good up-time. Other passives will be the ones that most improve survivability, Nerves of Steel and Pound of Flesh seem like good ones to me.
  10. ElementEight

Jaago:

Definitely foolproof. If survivability really isn't an issue, I could see you change NoS or PoF passives for Brawler for another huge damage buff basically for free.

I'm starting to believe that tanky barbs will be more succesful than full on glass cannons, merely for the fact that they can stay in there longer. Makes it hard to skip on Revenge (unless you're about stunning, check OP), which probably will get nerfed!
  11. Jaago

Jaago IncGamers Member

I have to agree. Shields, for example, seem to provide some godly defensive attributes that are difficult or impossible to find elsewhere (e.g. up to 100% to max health, more armor than from any two other slots), and that will in my opinion be much more useful that a 15% IAS bonus from dual-wielding, for example.

Now add to that the fact that Revenge becomes ever stronger relatively the higher your defensive attributes get.

12. ElementEight

Yeah, that thing scales in 4 different manners.

1) Weapon damage.
    2) Any defensive attribute; taking more hits = more procs.
    3) Health. The healing is % based, more health = more healing.
    4) Armor/mitigating. Any healing scales with mitigation.

13. droppin

droppin IncGamers Member

Here's my control tank barb build, http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#bSYgkT!bXe!ccaacZ

EVERYTHING slows lol. Combat would go somethign like this:
    1. Charge into group (free heal on charge)
    2. Stomp (glyph pulls them in, stuns, and slows)
    3. Intimidating Shout (lowers damage and slows them again)
    4. Cleave (aoe damage and slows them again lol, no way they are going after the ranged dps)
    5. Earthquake (huge aoe damage slow when it's needed. Could be used after charge for burst aoe control)

I'm not to worried about taunting targets because most threat will be proximity based. Besides, if they are slowed this much, they will never reach the ranged to hit them. I don't mention the melee because they have their own skills to get out and whatnot. Also 90% of this build is possible by lvl 30 :). Just a few glyph changes (don't affect the build much anyway) until you reahc max for the specific glyphs.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  14. droppin

droppin IncGamers Member

It's basically a prot warrior form wow that can aoe hamstring >.<

A change for the above build is Furious Charge runed with merciless assult for quick multiple charges. I'd lose the predictable ehaling, but would be nice for o crap moments to slow teleport attacks on ranged. Think of it like intervene :D. Somehow a prot warr isn't my main on wow o_O
  15. turnips

turnips IncGamers Member

16. DoxieVon

DoxieVon IncGamers Member

If your gonna be grouping, id drop earthquake for revenge. Bank on your team being able to nuke stuff down. Your bound to take some damage, and its heal will come in handy especially since there will be ranged dps that will be outside the range of your aoe stuns. Also for that reason you might need to swap the passives to pick up some of the damage reduction stuff, specifically the mage damage reduction stuff as casters will also naturally be outside the range of your stuns.